How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-06-2010
front row

what the hell is with all the texts??? i can't even look at it more than 5 seconds

28-06-2010
Mr. Magic

A.k.n.u.

Quote:
Michael Jackson's choice

We can pretty much guarantee you've never heard of L.A. -based pop-n-B trio A.K.N.U. But we can also guarantee that that's all about to change soon.

With their affiliation with Michael Jackson-they were reportedly set to open for him on his never-happened This Is It tour, and were in talks to sign to his record label before his death-the self-imposed mystery surrounding the group won't last for long.

The group's relationship with, and admiration of, the King of Pop is certainly evident when you hear their music, featuring their MJ-style falsettos and floating melodies, or see them move, with a hard-to-master balance of aggression and grace almost eerily reminiscent of the Gloved One. Here they finally tell their story.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW F/W 14.15

01-07-2010
Mr. Magic

José Maria Manzanares by Bruce Weber

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uo...ria-manzanares

Quote:
The new youth of the old guard

The son and grandson of bullfighters, 28-year-old Jose Maria Manzanares faced his first bull at the age of 12, while his official debut in the arena dates back to 2001, when he was not even 20. Since then, he has performed in France, Portugal, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and, of course in Spain.

His dedication to bullfighting is total: at least 5 hours of daily training, seven days a week. For him, "every bull is a world, and has a character unlike any other". And the measure of a matador is taken by the emotion he inspires, not by the number of performances and bulls killed.

His teachers? His father and Antonio Ordonez. His is a profession in which "you never arrive at a definitive and unsurpassable peak; you are constantly learning". Fear? "It's impossible not to feel it. The bull is a very cunning animal... You need first of all to be sure of youself, because the bull senses this immediately". Which is why he admits to being as superstitious "as the next man... I begin to dress always from the right side, and if I do something on the day of a bullfight and win, I tend to repeat this the next time".
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Micachu and The Shapes

Quote:
Mica Levy and The Shapes: new music from the United Kingdom

Listening to original music, in an era of uncontrolled plundering, is a rare occasion. The interest shown in Mica Levy (known as Micachu) and in her companions, The Shapes, is therefore more than justified, and justifiable.

Their debut album, Jewellery, has won over most expert critics, who have unanimously praised the young English singer's music. Putting to one side labelling (which even recently has led to coining adjectives that sometimes border on the ridiculous), everything said of Micachu's work can be summed up as: "new music". It was therefore normal to ask Mica, during the long interview she granted us, if she believes she is truly the initiator of a "next-gen": "I don't feel I'm so futuristic. In reality I think all this talk of new music is due to the fact that our music is a little "shadowy". I mean to say...my work, music, and notes, are not still but travel across genres. Maybe for this reason it's so difficult for people to categorise us. I don't think our music is "new", at the most I think it's 'disorganised'..."

There are thirteen instant songs in Jewellery; they are visceral and distorted, the notes seem natural and without compromise, just like Micachu. And, who knows, perhaps what's really new is what doesn't try to be new.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Helene Hegemann

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uo...elene-hegemann
Quote:
At sixteen years of age she wrote "Axolotl Roadkill", the controversial novel that had her acclaimed as the new Christiane F. Now, two years later, she calls herself "a happy outsider, but not a poor teenager"

With her debut novel "Axolotl Roadkill", Helene Hegemann, born in 1992, sparked off an unprecedented debate in Germany on the concept of plagiarism and author's rights in the era of Web 2.0. "We have a new Christiane F!" the German publishing world exulted when her novel was published: on the best-seller list it even bettered the work of Herta Müller, who had just received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

The champagne bottles were opened, but very swiftly the media and Hegemann's idyll came to an end. A few weeks after the novel's publication, a blogger accused her of the greatest offense for a writer: that she drew copiously from another young writer's novel which was, like "Axolotl Roadkill", set in the world of drugs, sex and techno in Berlin clubs.

A media lynching against Hegemann began in Germany that had not been seen since the days when news filtered through that German writer Günter Grass had been a long-standing supporter of the Nazi regime.

Today - several months have passed - the new "wunderkind" of German publishing has embarked on a heated self-apologia, shaking off the label of the new "Christiane F." and "spokesperson for a new generation", strenuously defending her "intertextual" approach to writing.
-----

Lucy Prebble

Quote:
A young playwright dealing with a film on the Enron scandal

Though she is only 29 years old, Lucy Prebble can already be considered an established playwright. She has written two plays (Liquid and The Sugar Syndrome), a TV miniseries (The Secret Diary of a Call Girl, based on a highly popular blog written by a call girl whose real identity has been the subject of much discussion in the United Kingdom), and has brought an ambitious musical to Broadway (Enron).
A great part of the secret of her success can be attributed to her educational background. Not so much her University studies as her having studied dramatic writing at The Royal Court, London's exciting and dynamic theatre which, season after season, produces new talents (as well as Prebble, keep an eye on her colleague, Polly Stenham).

Furthermore, The Royal Court is something of a social launch pad, a network of theatre people which has allowed Prebble to come into contact with writers of the calibre of David Hare and Tom Stoppard - and she can already consider herself their colleague. "I do not study their work assiduously. Of course I read incessantly and do lots of research, but not necessarily theatre pieces by other authors, because my objective is to create something new."
Indeed, Prebble is now working on something very different from her previous works (which were focused on sex and money): a text on magic, which she may also direct. But this is just one of her current projects. Prebble is also busy with the screen adaptation for the film Enron, produced by Sony, which should appear in 2012.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Paul Dano

Quote:
From a debut in Broadway to Little Miss Sunshine: a new star makes progress in Hollywood

Paul Dano, who's just turned 26 years of age, was born in Manhattan and grew up in Connecticut. In primary school he discovered a passion for the stage, which led to a debut on Broadway at only 12.

"Acting was almost like playing sport, like basketball or soccer; I loved singing but I had absolutely no idea it would become my real passion". While still at school, he received a first important role in the independent film, L.I.E., which won him best debut actor award, part of the prestigious Independent Spirit Awards.

His film career so far has seen him work alongside actors such as Kevin Kline, Angelina Jolie, Daniel Day-Lewis, Gael García Bernal, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz (in the recent comedy Innocent Lies, which will appear in Italian movie theatres from September); Dano says that from these stars he learned a fundamental aspect of being as actor: versatility.

His most significant experience was, "without a doubt, Little Miss Sunshine, the film which helped me understand that despite everything, dreams can still come true, even in Hollywood".
-----

Germano, Luchetti and Ragonese

Quote:
The lead stars of "La nostra vita", the only Italian film in competition in Cannes, answer questions from the film's director

Elio Germano, the winner (alongside Javier Bardem) of the award for best male actor at Cannes (for his role in La nostra vita"), is one of the most sought after Italian actors.

The film's director Daniele Luchetti interviewed him in an exclusive for Uomo Vogue, alongside the film's other lead, Isabella Ragonese. Before working with Luchetti in "La nostra vita", Germano had already worked with the director in "Mio fratello č figlio unico, alongside Riccardo Scamarcio. The thirty-year old actor won the David di Donatello award for his performance in that role.

Germano asks of a director "that he be allowed to make mistakes. The really strong, true things, are in the folds of mistakes, in dirt... As an actor I love working with a hand-held camera because it chooses what to frame. Traditionally however, everything is set up in favour of the frame: the field is established and only what's in the field counts. The surrounding world is not there, the imagination has to make an extra effort, and for this reason greater control is required".

To aspiring actors he suggests "learning other professions. The more experiences you've lived, the more you'll be able to tell".
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

08-07-2010
trendsetter

OMG, the covers are ugly! even the ugliest Teen Vogue cover is better than this. But the contain is not as ugly as the cover..

08-07-2010
trendsetter

i mean the content..

08-07-2010
®

OK, enough of the tacky shit, Dan Radcliffe! Who knew?

Mr. Magic

Jay Baruchel

Quote:
The comic actor with a passion for Clint Eastwood and horror movies

A member of the closely knit group of actors who work with comic director Judd Apatow (director of The 40 Year Old Virgin), Jay Baruchel alternates comic roles (Knocked Up and Tropic Thunder) with romantic/fantasy parts (She's Out of My League and The Sorcerer's Apprentice).

The actor, who for the moment has no intention of abandoning Montreal for Hollywood, professes his great admiration for Clint Eastwood, who directed him in Million dollar baby, the film that brought him to the attention of the critics, thanks to his interpretation of a crazed aspiring young boxer.

His aim? To write and direct horror movies. Nevertheless, the project that seems to be closest to completion is "a sort of epic" that 28 year-old Baruchel has been working on since his adolescence: "a thesis about American culture after the Second World War, it is a sort of super hero movie, it is both engagé and exciting, but somewhat controversial. In fact I think it could make me rather unpopular.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

19-07-2010
scenester

Hi

can anyone please post the scans of the interview with William Moseley?

pleaseeee

thanks

19-07-2010
V.I.P.

I don't know why, but I love the cluttered, tacky, cheap, amateurish, coloured fonts used for both covers. They give it a certain Vogue Italia 90's vibe.

20-07-2010
scenester

anyone?

27-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Jamie Bell

*Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/l-uo.../07/jamie-bell

Quote:
Though you will have to wait until Christmas 2011 to see him in Spielberg's Tintin, the actor who was discovered in Billy Elliot will be on cinema screens soon, in the umpteenth version of Jane Eyre alongside Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender, and in The Eagle of the Ninth, a sword-and-sandal style film we hope will not be a foregone conclusion, given that it is directed by Kevin Macdonald, director of the Last King of Scotland.

In this film Jamie Bell plays a Celtic slave fighting against a Roman Legion which is under the command of Channing Tatum. In five weeks of training he had to learn not only to ride a horse but also to speak Gaelic and various rudimentary combat techniques.

The 24-year-old actor, who has already been contracted by famous directors such as Clint Eastwood and Peter Jackson, would only be too happy to work in the future for Martin Scorsese and Paul Thomas Anderson; however, he does point out that his choice of future projects will be based on the screenplays: "The fundamental issue is still to pinpoint and strengthen my identity as an actor".

He moved to Los Angeles a few years ago and is fascinated by the States, he considers it "an extraordinary country, the forefront of the western way of life. Living here is true freedom, you still have the sensation of living in a land of a thousand opportunities".
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

27-07-2010
Mr. Magic

Max Irons

Quote:
At 24, the son of the famous English actor Jeremy is ready for his début

Jeremy Irons' 24 year-old son, Maximilian, known as Max, is almost a newcomer to the silver screen.

His curriculum to date: three years of acting school, an appearance of just a few seconds in István Szabo's Being Julia, a small part in Dorian Gray by Oliver Parker and two (equally small) parts in the theatre, in Mike Poulton's Wallenstein last summer at the Minerva in Chichester and in Artist Descending a Staircase last December at the Old Red Lion in London.

Now his big chance comes from director Catherine Hardwicke who chose Robert Pattinson for Twilight, launching into the stratosphere a young English actor who, until then, could only boast a few appearances in the saga of Harry Potter.

Now it is Max's turn, together with Shiloh Fernandez (a 25 year old American the director had already taken into consideration for the lead role in Twilight). He has been chosen for the cast of a new project entitled Red Riding Hood, a Gothic horror rereading of the story of Little Red Riding Hood which will probably appear in American cinemas in April next year.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, august, daniel, elio, germano, july, luomo, radcliffe, vogue