How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

Right-
we have a lot of questions ...
i'll try to answer them all...

First- The entire section Visualizing Fashion is about the entire team who works on creating fashion imagery...that is what it was set up for, period. Understanding who those teams are is an important part of understanding how these images come about.

Second- All magazines credit the entire team-it is industry standard-this is not a big deal. So yes, if they credit a set designer and manicurist-it's fine to include that info as well. [The order we ask for is the same order that any magazine uses- though, tbh-they don't even credit models]

Third- It would be great to credit all the clothing as well- but that is impractical- so we don't require it. Hopefully you can see the clothing credits on page when you view the story.

If you don't have the credits-
You can wait to post the image until you find them-
OR- you can post in that thread asking for help from other members with the credits.

*With older images and vintage mags, it is understandable that credits will be more difficult to find so we can overlook some of that, but with current editorials, there simply is no excuse for not posting credits because they are readily available.

Regarding the number of images-
It has always been the standard rule in the Designers and Collections forum to post 6 images full size per post. It keeps the threads neat and uniform and very nice to look at for everyone interested in viewing them. So it only makes sense that this should be the rule thoughout the forums.
Thumbnails are a bit different, we don't have a set rule for that, but 10 is the usual number we accept.
* but use your judgement-
if it's a 12 page story-10 images in one post and 2 in the next is not cute-
2 posts with 6 images each works much better.

We expect that everyone is making thoughtful contributions to the forums and not just 'dumping' images haphazardly. And if 15 seconds is too long to wait- well...i can't really help you there, sorry.

Thank you all for your questions and concerns. Your contributions are very much appreciated.
Hope this clarifies why this is not anything new or arbitrary and why it is important for everyone who enjoys fashion imagery.

Last edited by softgrey; 03-09-2011 at 12:44 PM.

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

@Bezimienna: But the thing is, how would people know what to post in stylist/make up artist's/etc. threads if the people aren't being credited? I assume the reason these forums aren't as active is because their work is so hard to find due to people not properly crediting them
Maybe the mods can allow people to post LQ pictures without credits until we get the HQs from which we can get all the credits?
If you're taking the effort to scan an editorial then I'm sure it's not too much of a hassle to also write down the credits while you're scanning, no? I think the new rules make sense though I agree it's a bit harsh to delete all the posts of the recent days that don't include all the credits.

ETA: Thanks for clarifying, softgrey

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

Thanks, Softgrey.

03-09-2011

you're very welcome...

honestly- I'd rather not have to delete anymore posts-

i know it takes time and effort to post these stories and we are very glad that you guys are doing it...
so if we can all get on board with this format and help spread the word, it would be nice for everyone...

thanks!

Last edited by softgrey; 03-09-2011 at 12:55 PM.
03-09-2011
V.I.P.

For example if i post the photoshot of the album of a band/singer taken by very famous fashion photographer & is too hard to find the stylist. makeup & hair artist? ,is probably than my post will be delete?

no---that would not get deleted...i cannot even imagine how you would find that info...
frankly- it's amazing that you can even find the name of the photographer in most of those cases...
:p

03-09-2011
you soft and only

I just noticed that credits for new-ish editorials can be found here if you search for it. Now that I found this I am a bit less apprehensive about posting all the credits. I mean the way some magazines credit is just annoying when they have the hairstylist credited on one page and then the fashion editor credited 3 pages later.

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

Let me see if I got it right.

If I post an old editorial and the only info. I have are the photographer, stylist, and model or a group of models, does it mean that my post won't be deleted but instead, I'll just ask someone a favor to help me credit the other ones who are involved in the shoot like the hair stylist, make-up artist, manicurist, etc.?

V.I.P.

^For example the eds of 60's & 70's the credits are the model & photographer, in the 80's start to include on the stories of eds as well the model & photographer, the hair & makeup stylist and the fashion editor.

And comeback to the case of posting all the credits of the ed, i check out than many hair & makeup artists doesn't have their own thread on this forum, that's makes sense than can't post the eds with respective thread.

yes-
that's all true---

this credit guideline mostly applies to current issues - from the last 10 years or so- where the credits are more readily available...

for example-
*the current issue of W mag Sept 2011---
there is no problem finding those credits and so they should all be posted...

as i said in a previous post...
we know it is harder to find credits for older editorials so we can be more relaxed in that area...so you shouldn't be overly concerned about these things---
we all know how this works, and we know when it is difficult to find credits and when someone just isn't bothering to post them...

here is a another good way to get help from other members if you can't find credits...
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...ng-100205.html

thanks!

05-09-2011
The future is stupid

Hello Everyone,

Yes, we would like to have credits... but please don't worry that your posts will be deleted if you don't have them all. Also, we don't expect you to have to search other websites to obtain credits that aren't available from what you are posting.

If you post HQ and preview images, sometimes there aren't any credits available at all. We can add them later, the same as we do when you post a new thread with a cover and we don't know the model/photographer yet. You guys always come through with the info and we then add it to the thread title.

So to sum it up...

1. No posts are going to be deleted if they don't have all the credits: Photographer, Model, Stylist, Hair, Makeup, etc. Just post what you have.

2. You can post LQ or HQ images if they have no credits. We will add them to the thread when they become available. It's possible some of the mods can even edit the original post and add them.

3. You can continue to post LQ and then later post HQ images of the same editorial. It won't be deleted as a repost.

4. You can post 10 images per post or 15 thumbnails. 15 thumbnails is the max. Most editorials only have 6, 8, 10 or 12 pages, so this shouldn't be a problem. You all know how to break them up if they have more.

5. Please credit your image source correctly, and don't post direct links to images. Otherwise you do risk having your posts deleted.

Here are direct links to the forum rules that apply to posting images for those that are new or need a refresher.

Crediting Rules

Rules for Hosting Nude Images

We appreciate and thank you for the time and effort it takes to scan, snapshot or search the internet for editorial images. It's your contributions that help to make this forum the success that it is.

If you have any questions please post them here or let myself or another moderator know via PM and we'll be happy to help.

05-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ Thank you so much MMA for the update.

16-08-2013
fashion elite

Can we please start reenforcing the rule that people must post full credits when posting an editorial? At least when it comes to photographers, stylists, and models?

This is a fashion forum, but yet people leave out styling credits. It baffles me.

16-08-2013
V.I.P.

^I second.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
etiquette, magazine, posting, read, revised, starting, threads