How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2005
a dim capacity for wings

Magazine Posting Etiquette *PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING NEW THREADS* Revised 09/02/11
To all members:

When starting a new thread on a magazine, please follow these rules for the thread title:

1. NO magazine threads should be started without a scan/image of the COVER. NO EXCEPTIONS. Prior to the thread's creation, any textual information about the cover from a third-party source (Magazine, news article/feature, blog , seeing the cover on the newsstand, etc.) or images from within the issue should be placed in the Cover Rumour Thread.

Images from a photo shoot or on set should be placed in either the model or celebrity's thread in Supporting Cast or Star Style.

Threads that do not follow these guidelines will be deleted.

2. The name of the magazine goes first. if it's a magazine that comes out in different countries, please include the country/edition name.

ex. US Vogue, Vogue Italia, Australian Harpers Bazaar

3. The issue date of the magazine goes second.

Examples: March 2006, Spring/Summer 2006

4. The person/cover subject and photographer (if known) goes after the issue name and date.

Examples:
Vogue Italia September 06 : Hilary Rhoda by Steven Meisel
US Glamour May 06 : Eva Longoria

Please remember the spaces surrounding the colon ( : ) to facilitate searching for a particular cover subject, publication year etc.

5. In order to conserve space and consolidate threads that usually do not receive as much feedback, certain publications will now belong in generalized or regional threads. Please refer to the following list to see where certain titles belong before starting a thread:

Elle - Worldwide (With exceptions for selected countries which will continue to have individual threads)
Cosmopolitan - Worldwide
Glamour - Worldwide
InStyle - Worldwide
Marie Claire - Worldwide
Miscellaneous Magazines - Asia
Miscellaneous Magazines - Europe
Miscellaneous Magazines - Russia
Miscellaneous Magazines - North America
Miscellaneous Magazines - South America
Miscellaneous Magazines - Africa/Australia

Though new threads are not necessary, please still remember to provide adequate information (Title, Date of issue, Cover subject, Cover photographer) in your post within the thread.

6. Always properly credit images. Other tFS threads can not be used as image sources. If you get an image from another thread, make sure you note where the image is credited, and use that credit when reposting.

7. No unsolicited and blatant scan requests.
Please refrain from making unsolicited, blatant scan requests to scanners who are generously sharing.

Unacceptable: "Scan this editorial!"

Acceptable: "I can't wait to see this editorial!"

Requests of a similar nature for reviews are also subject to deletion.

8. Please remember to not host images containing nudity at Imageshack.us -- use other online image storage servers that allow for such content instead.

---

Thank you for adhering to these rules...it makes finding an issue much easier through the search function. Any titles that do not match the above will be changed by the moderators.

---

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 07-11-2009 at 07:22 PM.

09-02-2007
tailored

posting etiquette * PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING & STARTING NEW THREADS * Revised 8.08
To all members:

When starting a new thread on a magazine, please follow these rules for the thread title:

1. NO magazine threads should be started without credible information as to who is going to be on the cover or a scan/image of the cover. NO EXCEPTIONS. Any information from a gossip mag, blog should be placed in the Cover Rumour Thread.

Examples of credible sources:
screen grab from E!, extra, entertainment tonight, etc.; WWD, fashionweekdaily, daily newspapers (like NYTimes, Washington Post, etc.), US Weekly (they run a page with covers on it every month), seeing the mag yourself in person

Examples of not-credible sources:
Perez Hilton, Page Six, Daily Mirror, blogs that do not credit another source, fashionista.com (they have been wrong in the past)

Images from a photo shoot or on set should be placed in either the model or celebrity's thread in Supporting Cast or Star Style.

Threads that do not follow these guidelines will be deleted.

2. The name of the magazine goes first. if it's a magazine that comes out in different countries, please include the country/edition name.

ex. US Vogue, Vogue Italia, Australian Harpers Bazaar

3. The issue date of the magazine goes second.

ex. March 06, March 2006, S/S 2006, F/W 06

4. The person/cover subject and photographer (if known) goes after the issue name and date.
ex: Vogue Italia September 06 : Hilary Rhoda by Steven Meisel
US Glamour May 06 : Eva Longoria
Please remember the spaces surrounding the colon ( : ) to facilitate searching for a particular cover subject, publication year etc.

5. Always properly credit images. Other tFS threads can not be used as image sources. If you get an image from another thread, make sure you note where the image is credited, and use that credit when reposting.

6. No unsolicited and blatant scan requests.

Please refrain from making unsolicited, blatant scan requests to scanners who are generously sharing.

---

Thank you for adhering to these rules...it makes finding an issue much easier through the search function. Any titles that do not match the above will be changed by the moderators.

---

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 16-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.
17-03-2008
clever ain't wise

Please note the latest edition to the magazine forum etiquette (see post #1 above):

Quote:
No unsolicited and blatant scan requests.

Thanks

01-08-2008
tailored

an addendum to iluvjeisa's post above...

Please refrain from requesting scans. We all need to remember that no one is obligated to scan anything for us. Scanners are doing us a huge favor by taking time out of their busy lives to provide us with images and we should be thankful for what they do scan for us rather than complaining about what they failed to scan or constantly requesting for certain images. Reminders and warnings will be issued to those who cannot abide by this. We do not want to lose the scanning resources we have.

Thank you for your cooperation.

boop

Important Changes To Scanning Rules
In light of member concerns and our own discussions there have been a few changes to our rules about scanning. As many of you know the previous rule only allowed for one set of scans to be posted. Now we are opening up to allow for lower quality images posted on tFS to be rescanned in HQ. This is an addendum but I think it will be a welcome one.

Just to break it down so that there are no misunderstandings. All scans are appreciated, we understand that people want to see the images as soon as possible - however if a LQ or preview is posted it's OK for a set of HQs to be posted as well.

What counts as LQ?

1. Smaller than 1000 px in either direction
2. Grainy / Damaged / Uncropped Scans

In case anyone requires a visual.

Examples.

a) Low quality image
Note the the picture is small, the resolution is poor and it is not aligned or cropped properly. You can also see the folds of the magazine within the image.

b) Larger image yet still low quality
This picture is bigger but it still has some of the problems depicted in the smaller image. The scan isn't clean, it remains grainy and is aligned poorly. In spite of it's size it would still qualify as a low quality image.

c) HQ scan
This scan is of a decent quality. It's not perfect but it's larger, fairly clear and has been cleaned up a little. If this were posted odds are it would not require any rescanning.

So if one set of low quality images has been posted. A set of HQs can be posted in addition.
Once HQs of an editorial have been posted there is no need for another set.

Please feel free to ask any questions about this here.

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from Bazaar January 08

Last edited by Luxx; 28-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
07-11-2009

Hello everyone,

After some recent discussion, the moderators have decided to modify the first rule to starting threads in the Magazines forum. Please take note of this change:

1. NO magazine threads should be started without a clear scan/image of the COVER. NO EXCEPTIONS. Prior to the thread's creation, any textual information about the cover from a third-party source (Magazine, news article/feature, blog , seeing the cover on the newsstand, etc.) or images from within the issue should be placed in the Cover Rumour Thread.

This should be self-explanatory, but in case you do not remember the original rule, the change from before is that the Magazines forum will now require the actual cover image of the issue within the first post in order for its thread to be started. If without the cover itself, even reliable news about the cover star and/or images/outtakes from the main editorial still need to be placed in the Cover Rumor thread instead (Whereas before we usually accepted them as thread-starters).

Thank you for your cooperation!

ETA: We will begin to enforce this rule as of right now, so if you just started a thread yesterday or today that didn't follow it...we'll still let it slide

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 08-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.
02-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Moderators Note:

To everyone posting images of editorials......

Please post ALL credits when posting images-as follows...

Magazine: Month and Year
Photographer:
Stylist/Fashion Editor:
Hair:
Make Up:
Model:

Please do it in this order-
This forum is about the photogs, stylists, & hair and make up team.
The model's name should be listed last.

*Pass it around...Thank you!

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ I'm here for 3 years already and I've never knew this was forum about stylists, hair & make-up team.
I think this rule should be active in their own forum, I mean Behind The Lens forum and not here, in Magazine forum.
Don't you think that posting all this credits are making the forum more official and many members might not post the eds when they know they have so many credits to find and it takes longer time.

Questions :

1. When the picture is little and the other credits can't be seen than photographer and model and the site (source) also doesn't have this credits what can we do?

2. Does this rule also active when we start threads? Because in many cases, we have just low quality snaps/preview of the cover and if someone doesn't have magazine, we can't find the detailed credits.

Last edited by tarsha; 03-09-2011 at 01:02 AM.
03-09-2011
V.I.P.

I also have a question about the "new" rules. If you say we should only post 6 images per post do you mean when we post the full size images or does that apply to thumbnails, too?

03-09-2011
you soft and only

Also, why does the order they're in matter?

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

And shouldn't we also post who designed the set, did the nails etc etc... and shouldn't we post all the clothing credits for every seperate picture as well?

03-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ Coming soon, I guess.
If someone is interested in that details, there's designscene.net

03-09-2011
Some Like It Hot

Thanks for the new update, Softgrey! i think it's very appropriate that we credit, it helps people who aren't just interested in models identify a certain stylists work ect ect.

V.I.P.

I agree with Tarsha, it takes too much time to credit so many people. Iīll be thinking it twice before I post editorials from now on... I made multiple posts yesterday and spent too much time writing all those names.
I understand the need to credit the photographer and stylist but the hair and makeup people as well?

About the 6 images rules, Iīd like to know as well if it applies to thumbnails. Again, it takes too much time to make two or three posts of one editorial, specially with the 15 secs delay between each post.

03-09-2011
fashion icon

completely agreed with Tarsha.
Crediting each and every person is okay and important but when you can't post anything then it will slow down our work, because the information usually comes later when we scan images directly from the magazine. TFS is first when it comes to the newest pics, covers etc. Usually names of the rest are given anyway in the threads, mods can change the first post anytime, so what's wrong? Focus on Behind The Lens thread or what, it's pretty neglected and that's the major thread for people interested in hair stylist and make up artist too.
Unnecessary issue tbh.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
etiquette, magazine, posting, read, revised, starting, threads