How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-11-2005
far from home...

The New York Times Magazine Editorials
source: nytimes.com

I really like this editorial. I would've loved it if it weren't for that picture entitled Flower Power. Why didn't they stick to the 40's?

Quote:
Heroine Chic
Photographs by SOFIA SANCHEZ and MAURO MONGIELLO
Soldier, sweetheart, spy. The actress Amy Adams does her part for the fashion front.

Sofia Sanchez and Maruo Mongiello
Airworthy Dsquared fringed leather jacket, $2,290. At Oxygene, Bal Harbour, Fla. Vintage flight helmet and goggles. Fashion editor: Elizabeth Stewart

Pinup OMO Norma Kamali swimsuit, $350. At Norma Kamali,11West 56th Street. Vintage hat. Christian Louboutin shoes from Neiman Marcus.

Commanding Yves Saint Laurent military jacket, $1,995, and pencil skirt, $795. At Saks Fifth Avenue. Dsquared tab collar shirt, $420. At Bergdorf Goodman. Little Black Tie tie. Kaufman’s Army & Navy military belt.

Undercover Viktor & Rolf trench coat,$1,680. At Bloomingdale’s. Caroline Amato gloves.

First Aid Vintage nurse uniform, cape and cap.

Flower Power Magda Berliner lace ribbon dress, $1,380. At Louis Boston.

Riveting Yohji Yamamoto archive cotton overalls. At yohjiyamamoto .co.jp. Wink Collection head scarf. Christian Louboutin wedge platform shoes.

Devoted Monique Lhuillier silk gazar ballerina dress,$2,350. At select Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue stores. Fashion associate: Monique Bean. Hair by Miki. Makeup by Yasuo Yoshikawa. Prop styling by Chad Dziewior.

13-11-2005
a dim capacity for wings

that's fantastic, thanks for sharing!
i agree about the flower power image, it doesn't really fit in.
we also have a thread on the photographers if you'd like to see more of their work http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ht=sofia+mauro

13-11-2005
far from home...

^ Should I have posted the editorial in their thread?
I was to lazy to do a quick search

13-11-2005
a dim capacity for wings

no, it's perfectly okay here

15-11-2005
User Friendly

Wow.. I just got it.. I thought I clicked on the wrong thread.. turns out I just misread the title.. very clever

16-11-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

love the ed! my fave is the first aid shot

███████████████

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin
love the ed! my fave is the first aid shot
Mee too very good

17-11-2005
V.I.P.

a bit weird to call it "heroin chic", isn't it?

17-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

^^it's HEROINE...with an 'E'...
the feminine of HERO...
it's supposed to be 'clever'......

thanks DosV...
it's nice...

18-11-2005
trendsetter

Thank you for posting! I liked the "pinup" and "detective" best, and I agree about "flower power" being out of place. I noticed the "e" in the title too and it got me curious to see what they thought was a hero. It was clever!

trendsetter

By the way, Amy Adams is such a good actress - I hope she becomes more famous. She was the shy nurse with braces in Catch Me if You Can, and the pregnant wife in Junebug.

20-11-2005
far from home...

Salsa Fresca - NYTimes Magazine editorial featuring Eva Mendes
Quote:
Salsa Fresca
Photographs by PEGGY SIROTA
Adiós, little black dress. These sweeping evening numbers are designed to hit the dance floor. The actress Eva Mendes is one haute tamale

Peggy Sirota for The New York Times
Oscar de la Renta silk faille carnation gown, $18,000. At Bergdorf Goodman. Neiman Marcus. Kokin hat. Roger Vivier shoes. Fashion editor: Elizabeth Stewart

Versace silk chiffon dress, $11,200. At Versace boutiques. Patricia Underwood hat and corsage. Chopard bracelet. The Way We Wore vintage tulle skirt. Brian Atwood shoes.

Rochas brocade bustier dress, opposite, $24,673. At Barneys NewYork. The Way We Wore vintage shawl.Tracy Watts feather hair combs.

Dries Van Noten silk embroidered tank, $605, and red cotton-and-wool skirt, $1,522. Tank at Barneys New York. Skirt at Blake, Chicago. Chopard earrings. Adrienne Landau scarf (worn as sash). Suzanne Wilson bracelet.

Louis Vuitton silk-and-lace embroidered dress with beaded neckline, $3,914. At www.vuitton.com. The Way We Wore vintage tulle skirt. Carnet bracelet and ring. Market editor: George Kotsiopoulos. Hair: Robert Vetica. Makeup: Kara Yoshimoto Bua. Manicure: Lisa Postma.

21-11-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

what a beautiful ed! perfectly suited thanks for posting! i especially like the 3rd and 4th shots!

far from home...

Kandy Land - NYTimes Magazine article on Helga's Folly + fashion editorial

Quote:
January 1, 2006
Kandy Land

Photographs by PERRY OGDEN
Fashion editor: ANNE CHRISTENSEN

It is an eccentricity of fashion that just as winter begins to nip at your sling-back heels, and cashmere starts to seem less like a luxury and more like a basic human need, scanty bathing suits, filmy sundresses and the strappiest of sandals suddenly appear in the stores like an act of demented defiance. But fashion knows, often before we do, exactly when we long to be somewhere else, and the sartorial manifestation of this longing is an annual collection known as resort. At Helga's Folly in Sri Lanka, overlooking the ancient city of Kandy, resort clothes make sense both in reality and as concept. Not just because at this time of year the weather is generally fine. But rather because the seat of the de Silva family, a 1930's Art Deco chalet that Helga de Silva Blow Perera not so long ago transformed into a colorful 40-room guest house, is in its own way an act of demented defiance. Monkeys swing on the balconies, fairies guard the pool and at lunchtime the sandwiches are served the old-fashioned way with the crusts removed.

The de Silva heritage, which extends to art, antiques, politics (George and Agnes de Silva helped secure Sri Lankan independence in 1948), architecture (Esme de Silva, a member of the Bauhaus, designed the chalet; Minette de Silva, a girlfriend of Le Corbusier, was among Asia's first female architects) and general intrigue, stands in for décor. And Helga's notorious daughter-in-law, the fashion instigator and editor Isabella Blow, wearer of virtually unwearable Alexander McQueen frocks and Philip Treacy headdresses, does not hold a candle to our host. But you see where she's coming from. Here, among the pine forests, the waterfalls, the "Mogambo" jungles, the tea plantations and the drawing rooms, a feather-print gown, a floppy hat and a pair of shoes conjured from a pair of scarves hardly seem eccentric but entirely appropriate.

Missoni viscose-and-silk shirtdress, $2,615. At Missoni, 1009 Madison Avenue. Loeffler Randall platform shoes.

Helga de Silva Blow Perera, the owner of Helga’s Folly, a colorful guest house in Kandy, Sri Lanka.

Valentino georgette top, $2,390, and matching skirt, $3,250. At Valentino Boutique, 747 Madison Avenue. David Yurman cuff bracelet. Loeffler Randall platform shoes.

Marc Jacobs embroidered stretch-jersey dress, $2,900. At Marc Jacobs, 163 Mercer Street. Loeffler Randall platform shoes.

Donna Karan Collection tissue-charmeuse camisole, $595, paper-twill skirt, $650, and shoes. At Donna Karan Collection stores. Finn shark-tooth necklace.

Chanel cashmere T-shirt, $1,180, mousseline pants, $2,235, and necklace. At select Chanel boutiques. Shoes: Manolo Blahnik for Derek Lam. Bottega Veneta sunglasses.

BCBG Max Azria Collection embroidered tulle dress, $848. Call 888-636-2224. Lola hat. David Yurman jewelry.

Elie Tahari tie-dyed jacket, $498, and silk top, $278. At www.elietahari.com. Stella McCartney cotton bikini, $195. At Stella McCartney stores. Finn shark-tooth necklace.

Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquière silk dress, $5,750. At Balenciaga, 542 West 22nd Street. Lola hat. Loeffler Randall platform shoes.
Fashion associate: Melissa Ventosa.
Hair: James Mooney.
Model: Anouck Lepere.
Location: Helga’s Folly in Kandy, Sri Lanka (interiors) and the Rothschild Estate (exteriors).

01-01-2006
V.I.P.

Thanks DosViolines! Love that balenciaga dress! wasn't it from the 05 cruise collection?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
editorials, magazine, times, york