How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2005
go red sox

Oct. 2005 Vanity Fair: Cover and Reviews
Paris Hilton on the cover:

fashist online

06-09-2005
go red sox

From ET online:

Paris' Sex Tape Confession

September 6, 2005

Is she famous for being famous, or is there more to PARIS HILTON than meets the eye? The fascination that the world has with the 24-year-old heiress is the subject of West Coast Editor KRISTA SMITH's in-depth cover story in the October issue of Vanity Fair, on newsstands Sept. 13, and what she has to say may surprise many of Paris' detractors.

Krista takes readers back to the beginning of Paris' fame from her party days, to her hit FOX TV series, the release of her creature feature 'House of Wax' and her engagement to PARIS LATSIS (nť KASIDOKOSTAS). But she also looks at the downside to the cultural icon's career, which almost stalled with the November 2003 release of a sex tape she made three years earlier with her ex-boyfriend RICK SALOMON.

The video was widely circulated on the Internet, and lawsuits between the Hilton family, Rick and the Internet distributor erupted, but the damage was already done. Or was it? Krista delves into Paris' handling of the situation and how it went a long way to boosting the ratings of the debut of "The Simple Life."

The Vanity Fair article also looks at the phenomenon that Paris has created with the paparazzi, how she and sister NICKY HILTON have even more ardent fans in Japan than the U.S. and the upcoming business projects that keep the green flowing into Paris' coffers.

But Krista also delves into the personal side of Paris, which is a strong contrast to her public image. As she does, the editor conveys the growing dissatisfaction her subject has with that image -- even though she is "in" on the joke -- and how Paris is looking forward to marriage and motherhood, using her own mother, KATHY HILTON, as her muse.

For more on Vanity Fair's cover story on Paris Hilton, tune in to tonight's ET!

06-09-2005
███████████████

Paris no liked me but i think the cover are beautiful i liked

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

There are no words I can type on here that describes how much I HATE this cover.

I will say though that the black and white writing, with what little she is wearing plus the back ground works really well.

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

i really like the lighting...this is testino's work isnt it? i generally like his photographs which probably explains why i like the general look/lighting. its pretty much downhill from there tho. note to paris: put on a top. and whats with the pants? and the stance??

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
06-09-2005
army of lovers

I agree with Label Basher about the background and text but she does not warrant a cover in 2005. Graydon Carter is out of his mind and he needs to move on.

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

honestly, was there ever a more embarrassing vanity fair cover? this is so not good....

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

Oh Vanity Fair, I cannot put into words what I think of your 'cover'. I can't believe these once 'elite' fashion magazines are going downnnnn.

06-09-2005
Heated

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
Oh Vanity Fair, I cannot put into words what I think of your 'cover'. I can't believe these once 'elite' fashion magazines are going downnnnn.
Just months ago Vanity Fair faced dismal rates in circulation and subscriptions. People were talking about editor Graydon Carter getting the cut. But in the course of a few well-timed issues (naked Euro models, Martha Stewart, Jennifer Aniston, now Paris) Vanity Fair has turned around. The Jennifer Aniston issue was their best selling issue EVER and I suspect this Paris issue will see similar success. It sucks but it's what a magazine needs to do to stay alive these days. Tilda Swinton in Yohji Yamamoto doesn't sell. Paris Hilton in Juicy Couture with her breasts exposed does. I don't blame Vanity Fair for being realistic. I just hope the inside content is still smart and fresh.

06-09-2005
V.I.P.

I like the cover, but it doesn't fit with the theme/spirit of Vanity Fair. The cover would have fit in a more fresh, avant garde magazine.

07-09-2005
backstage pass

I just subscribed. It's still a good read.

07-09-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

very interesting me likes change meaning me likey!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-on-metal
Tilda Swinton in Yohji Yamamoto doesn't sell. Paris Hilton in Juicy Couture with her breasts exposed does. I don't blame Vanity Fair for being realistic. I just hope the inside content is still smart and fresh.
extremely well said. the fact is, the vast majority of people don't buy magazines for the content inside..only for gossip and silly people like paris
but every vanity fair issue i've ever picked up is jam-packed with amazing articles. i'll continue buying it till the bitter end!

(the cover is well laid out, but paris hilton? puh lease!

V.I.P.

Are those........white jodphurs???? Do my eyes deceive me???? Her being topless...I can deal with, this is Paris Hilton after all. But white jodphurs......can't really articulate speech after seeing that cover.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
11-09-2005
my loves a pony.

Uhhhhhhgggg....

And we liked to party
and we kept it live
and we had a three volume tome of contemporary slang
to keep a handle on all this jive.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, cover, fair, oct, reviews, vanity