How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-08-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Aaron Paul

Clooney on ER, Depp on 21 Jump Street, Hanks on Bosom Buddies: People like to say in hindsight that they always knew that so-and-so TV actor had all the makings of a movie star. Such talk is, of course, bull****. Nobody knows why some actors can make the transition to the big screen and others can't, and the fact is that only a handful of the wildly talented actors currently working on television have a shot at making it in the movies. That brings us to Aaron Paul, the thirty-two-year-old Emmy winner whose hell-raising, heartbreaking performance as a meth dealer and addict on Breaking Bad is among the richest and most layered in any medium right now. He brings the same intensity to Smashed, a kind of hipster Days of Wine and Roses that played huge at Sundance earlier this year and hits theaters this fall. As the less sympathetic half of an alcoholic married couple, he fills the screen with sadness, rage, and/or the glee of a drunk who just doesn't care, and when he's not in a scene, you wonder where the hell he is. Whether that's presence or charisma or the makings of a movie star, the fact is that you just can't stop watching him.

Quote:
Garrett Hedlund

What the hell took so long? Sure, it's taken fifty-five years for On the Road to burn, burn, burn its way from the stacks at City Lights to the big screen, but more important, why has it taken eight years for Garrett Hedlund to earn the next-big-thing hype that's always surrounded him? The twenty-seven-year-old Minnesota native made his professional acting debut playing Brad Pitt's cousin in Troy, and even after a string of high-profile roles in Movies for Men (the proto-Riggins part in the film version of Friday Night Lights; the lead in Tron: Legacy), most moviegoers couldn't pick him out of a lineup at a CW casting call. His performance as Dean Moriarty in On the Road, a role that's been circled by greats from Brando to Pitt, should take care of that. His threesome with Kristen Stewart and Sam Riley, to say nothing of a brutally uncomfortable sex scene with Steve Buscemi, will probably get most of the attention, but in the quieter moments — when he's contemplating God and greatness and the open road — Hedlund gets right under your skin and makes himself right at home. Look for him next in the Coen brothers' Inside Llewyn Davis early next year and just see if you don't recognize him then.

Quote:
Aaron Johnson

You never think they have it in them. The nerdy misfit who wills himself into a superhero in Kick-***; the young John Lennon who dreams himself out of Liverpool in Nowhere Boy; the only one of Oliver Stone's Savages for whom savagery comes hard: The characters brought to life by Aaron Johnson are never quite sure where they're headed, but that you're willing to follow them anyway is a testament to the young actor who plays them. And he is young — at twenty-two, younger than all but one Jonas brother — and yet there is nothing particularly youthful about him. (He's been acting professionally in his native England since he was ten, and his wife, photographer and Nowhere Boy director Sam Taylor-Wood, is more than twice his age. He acts it.) Johnson's introduction to the cinematic world of men came in Savages, in which he played an enlightened drug dealer and proved himself the rare actor who looks equally comfortable in shoot-outs, blowups, standoffs, sex scenes, and tortured dramatic interludes. The latter will serve him well in November in Joe Wright's lush adaptation of Anna Karenina, playing Vronsky to Keira Knightley's Anna. Even if you've read the book, Johnson will keep you guessing where he's going until the bitter, bloody end.

esquire.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

07-08-2012
trendsetter

mynewplaidpants.blogspot.com and details.com

Last edited by KINGofVERSAILLES; 07-08-2012 at 04:19 PM.

07-08-2012
French Chic

Jake doing the 'tortured artist' look is fine, but man he looks old.

Nice to see Aaron Paul getting some attention.......arguably the best actor on TV right now. Decent choices for the Esquire cover all round.

07-08-2012
I don't know

^I agree about Aaron Paul. I was so happy when I saw him featured.

07-08-2012
backstage pass

LOVE September's Esquire!! I need to get this!

07-08-2012
V.I.P.

love esquire with all the actors except Armie Hammer can't stand him and his face

07-08-2012
fashion icon

Why is Jake Gyllenhaal doing this to himself? That beard is a major turn off.

07-08-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
Jake doing the 'tortured artist' look is fine, but man he looks old.

Nice to see Aaron Paul getting some attention.......arguably the best actor on TV right now. Decent choices for the Esquire cover all round.
I'm actually really bored with this trend of magazines taking always this easy approach with hollywood actors: "let's give him the tortured artist's vibe and we'll see", gosh, where's the creative??

07-08-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Why is Jake Gyllenhaal doing this to himself? That beard is a major turn off.

Trying to get America to forget he was in Brokeback Mountain, imo.

10-08-2012
Mag Master

Nylon Guys Sept. 2012 Cover & Story HQ: Matthew McConaughey by Marvin Scott Jarrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelscatchfire View Post
NYLON GUYS ó SEPTEMBER 2012
Killer Instinct
Photographer: Marvin Scott Jarrett
Styling: Ilaria Urbanati
Grooming: Jean Black

magazinesdownload

Last edited by Mat Cyruss; 10-08-2012 at 08:20 AM.

10-08-2012
Mr. Magic

Details September 2012
'BACK IN BLACK'

Ph: Milan Vukmirovic
Styling: Milan Vukmirovic

edwardkim.tumblr.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)

10-08-2012
Mr. Magic

Details September 2012
'MEAN STREETS'

Ph: Matthew Brookes
Styling: Benjamin Sturgill

edwardkim.tumblr.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)

11-08-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo View Post
no idea who they are, the only name that rings a bell is Idris Elba, but the rest???
on the miniatures they look like Ricky Martin + Kanye West, Leonardo DiCaprio + Simon Pegg and James Franco + Bradley Cooper. or that's just me.
lol ur right!

12-08-2012
Mr. Magic

DA MAN August/September 2012
Quote:
James Marsden has been climbing the Hollywood ladder for quite some time. He first entered the public consciousness with his role as the superheroic mutant Cyclops in the X-Men series, and followed that up with leading roles in a number of extremely diverse projects, from kid-friendly flicks like Enchanted and Hop to serious and disturbing adult dramas like The Box and last yearís Straw Dogs. At the moment he can be seen in Asia on the FX network sitcom 30 Rock, where he stars opposite Tina Fey as her characterís charming but directionless boyfriend, Criss. And later this summer youíll be able to see him on the big screen once again in the films Bachelorette and Robot and Frank.

DA MAN: On 30 Rock, your character Criss is sort of a loveable free spirit. Youíve played similarly kooky characters in the past, such as your memorable guest spot as princess castle squatter Barry in Modern Family. Would you say those sorts of character are closer to your actual personality than say, intense, straightlaced fellows like David Sumner [from Straw Dogs] or Scott Summers [from X-Men]?
James Marsden: Yeah, Iím not sure what that says about me but I definitely am drawn to characters that have a specific comedic ďhookĒ. The more I step outside myself the easier it is and the more fun I have playing with a personality that might be quite contrasting to my own. Also, comedically, I like the characters that are just a bit off upstairs but are the most sincere.

DA MAN: What is it like working with Tina Fey? How much do Tina and the 30 Rock crew tend to improvise onset?
James Marsden: In my opinion, 30 Rock is a prime example of a show that is designed around the writing. The dialogue is incredibly well-crafted so it does not need to be tinkered with. That said, the show allows me plenty of creative latitude. They are always open to whatever extra contributions you might make to the dialogue or specific ideas. But I know my ideas better be funny or it wonít make the edit. The scenes between Tina and I are usually very playful and it is great to be on set with her. Comedy is so tough but when you work with the greats it just makes you better.

DA MAN:
You have had quite a few roles that showcased your singing talents. Are you a trained singer or just a natural? Would you ever consider starring in a Broadway musical?
James Marsden: Singing was always something I just did for fun. I would say that Iím more of a mimic with a good ear and a decent voice than a trained singer. Iíve been lucky to be able to showcase my singing abilities in film and would definitely pursue a musical if the right one came along.

DA MAN: Last year you had two movies from extreme opposites of the spectrum. In Straw Dogs, where you played a character pushed to the brink of homicidal rage, and Hop, a family flick starring an anthropomorphic bunny. In general, are you drawn more towards dramatic or comedic projects?
James Marsden: Every film I end up being a part of satisfies a specific creative interest. I am drawn to interesting characters, whether they live in a comedy world or a dramatic world. I guess you could say Iím the guy whoís pretty good, not great, at a lot of things. And so I have no genre preference.

DA MAN:
Now that youíre quite well established, what does it take for you to get interested in a project? What are some of the things that have inspired your recent choice of roles?
James Marsden: I look at the role. And I look at who is directing and I look at who is, or may be, involved. As for the role, I always look for a character Iíve never played. I have no interest in doing the same thing over and over again.

DA MAN:
Youíve been in quite a few movies that ask you to act with a non-existent presence, like Enchanted and Hop. What is the usual process for those kinds of shoots? Is there usually a stand in or something give you a sense of what to be looking at and reacting to?
James Marsden: As an actor itís always better to have something or someone you can see and hear rather than having to imagine. Doing scenes opposite tennis balls on tripods or little pieces of green tape doesnít really satisfy the artist in me. And it makes you feel a bit crazy, talking to nothing. But itís a skill set that we have to have these days as more and more films incorporate digital elements.

DA MAN: Do you consider yourself a Ďstylishí person?
James Marsden: I think I can be a stylish person when I choose to be, but I usually donít make that choice. Although, even with my basic style, I try not to look like a bum. Good jeans, good shoes, good watch. As a guy, thatís all you really need to concentrate on.

DA MAN:
You participated in the Nautica South Beach Triathlon in April to raise money for St. Judeís Research Hospital. Congratulations on your team coming in first! How hard did you train for that? Are you a naturally competitive person?
James Marsden: Thank you. I did not train much because I had been working in Vancouver for two months prior. But I was only doing the bike leg of the relay so it wasnít too taxing. And I had some world class athletes on my team. That always helps. I like to say Iím not competitive until the gun fires, and then Iím the most competitive person youíll ever meet.

DA MAN:
Besides participating in triathlons, how else do you keep in shape? Are you pretty strict about your workout regimen?
James Marsden: I usually run or bike to stay in shape. I donít eat junk but I donít have a strict diet either. I drink mostly water, go for a run 3-4 times a week, and eat moderately healthy. Thatís pretty much it.

DA MAN:
Do you have any other upcoming project you could tell us about?
James Marsden: I am currently working on 2 Guns with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington. Again, itís been great to change gears and always try and do something different. I havenít done an action film in a while. Father time does not wait and I definitely feel the pain of those ďI can do my own stuntsĒ moments now. But itís been cool working with Mark and Denzel.

Photographs: Mitchell Nguyen McCormack
Styling: Jeff Kim @ Margaret Maldonado Agency

twitter/DaMan_Magazine

daman.co.id

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)

12-08-2012
V.I.P.

The September Esquire is surprisingly good! Got Details yesterday (free subscription) and I must agree with some of the other comments, they really need to stop showing actors playing the same brooding character, lost in thought. It's so boring and overplayed. Especially with some of the new up and coming actors that look like their about 16. But in Jake's case, it just makes him look years older (and not in a good way).

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, magazine, men, official, thread