How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-04-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean you'd posted a mistake, I was more just speaking out loud that they didn't even reprint a shoot in full, but tried to create one.

29-04-2014
Mr. Magic

L'Uomo Vogue April 2014

Quote:
With his youthful features and a resemblance to another architect – of sound, however – named Brian Eno, what is most striking about David Chipperfield when you first meet him are those bright blue eyes with their intense gaze and childlike curiosity on the face of a 60-year-old man. They teach us that life is a glass that should always be seen as half full.

That positive outlook is also reflected in his youthful style and casual demeanor when he welcomes me in his London studio on the 12th floor of a building from the 1960s that faces Waterloo Station next to the London Eye and the futuristic architecture that over the past two decades has transformed Bankside and the skyline along the Thames River into an amusement park for the super rich. And most of all, it is reflected in his work.

At an age when most people start to slow down, this British archi-star – the director of the last International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennial – is busier than ever. His offices in London, Berlin, Milan and Shanghai employ over 260 people. On the list of current projects around the world, he mentions the reorganization of the Royal Academy of London; the remodeling of the Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin, which was the last great project in 1968 by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, a luminary of modern architecture, and of the James Simon Gallery that will complete the Museum Island; and expansion of the Kunsthaus in Zurich, which was built in the early 20th century by Swiss architect Karl Moser, and of the Fine Arts Museum of Rheims.

Unlike many famous stars, the architectural projects of David Chipperfield, who was knighted by the Queen in 2010, are strikingly beautiful and brilliant yet never have that shock factor. They are "an internal experience": not only with the space, but with the location and its history. His vision captures the purpose of architecture: its social function.

"An architect can even be brilliant, but designing a project must be done collectively. You have to focus on the needs of the community and requirements tied to the territory and its history. Unfortunately, planning has become less important today. Generally speaking, I'd say that our cities are not designed well and the quality of the architecture isn't as good as it was forty years ago. Take Italy in the fifties and sixties, for instance: the overall architecture, with buildings by Gardella or Giò Ponti, was fantastic. It was an incredible moment. Italy was an example for architecture, not only for design and fashion. Today, everything has been lost. But I believe that this is a universal problem not of architects, but of politicians and society. Today's architects are asked to design museums, train stations, homes or buildings, but in most cases the client does not want something architectural, but commercial. Moreover, with the financial crisis, I hope that in the future they will pay more attention to building more significant buildings for the benefit of society, and not only for profit. And the environmental factor must always play a greater role in the design. In general, we're certainly making better use of energy and insulating materials. There is much more awareness: everyone asks architects for sustainable construction. Better use of energy is common knowledge and feasible, but that isn't the problem. Are we truly building in a sustainable way? Are we using city buildings in a sustainable way? Do we need to construct new buildings or is it better to renovate existing ones? Is it right to build in certain areas? Do we make collective decisions? Do we build in places with a good transport system, or do we construct good transportation? I don't think we're making progress in this direction. We must deal with a society that is full of contradictions. We realize that for the good of our planet we must consume less. On the other hand, however, our consumerist economy encourages us to consume more."

A master of solid elegance, David Chipperfield's sophisticated, understated style – which reflects the principle of Le Corbusier in which "architecture is the masterly, correct and magnificent play of masses brought together in light" – can be seen in his latest projects: the Jumex Museum, inaugurated last November in Mexico City; the new wing of SLAM, the museum of contemporary art in St. Louis, Missouri; and the Museum of Cultures in the former Ansaldo factory located in the design area of Milan, which is finally about to make its debut.

"Rather than minimalism, I'm more interested in purity of form and simplifying complex problems." Born on a farm in the Devon countryside, Chipperfield wanted to become a veterinarian when he was young ("I soon discovered that medicine wasn't for me"), but his talent for creativity and design led him, thanks to the advice of an art teacher, to attend and graduate from the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London. He worked with Norman Foster and Richard Rogers before he established (in 1984) the David Chipperfield Architects studio, which also has an office in Italy today.

His most significant projects are the River & Rowing Museum in Henley, the Cornerhouse Arts Center in Manchester, the Anchorage Museum of History and Art in Alaska, the Cittadella della Giustizia in Barcelona, and the iconic Neues Museum in Berlin. But his eclecticism is also expressed through the boutiques he designed for Dolce & Gabbana, for the Maison Valentino in Milan, Beverly Hills and New York, and, at the beginning of his career, for Japanese fashion designer Issey Miyake, or through his projects for FontanaArte and Alessi.

When he isn't in another part of the world inaugurating a new museum or adding to his many trophies and awards, which include the Wolf Award for Arts and the Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects, the appointment as Commander of the British Empire (CBE) and Knight of the United Kingdom, Galicia "with its extraordinary, pristine, uncontaminated nature", is the place where Sir David Chipperfield loves to relax with his wife, a splendid woman of Argentine origin.

L'Uomo Vogue, April 2014 (n. 450)

Fashion Editor Peter Smith
Photo by Pierpaolo Ferrari
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
29-04-2014
fashion elite

Gosh I hate their layouts, it's always super busy and the images are always very intellectual and not fashiony. The great one they did was with Chad White... How many years ago? Yeah lol you get my point.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
Gosh I hate their layouts, it's always super busy and the images are always very intellectual and not fashiony. The great one they did was with Chad White... How many years ago? Yeah lol you get my point.
Its amazing that the Italian edition of Vogue Hommes is maybe everyones least favorite. I never am interested in their cover subjects, and they could use bigger name photograhers.However, that cover and editorial with Chad White by Steven Klein WAS EVERYTHING!!!! EV.REE.THING.

Mr. Magic

I'm actually love their layout. It's messy but I can still read the article (well I can't since it's in Italian) and it's uniquely L'Uomo Vogue. I hope one day Franca and co will make a model issue. I don't care if they feature senior models at least they are models not celebrities or inventors.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
29-04-2014
fashion elite

^ ya I believe a lot of us would like that

front row

Sharon Stone for GQ Italia May 2014

Source: GQ Italia Facebook

30-04-2014
rising star

GQ goes Esquire? Just ewww

fashion insider

Good

01-05-2014
front row

World Cup Heroes for Esquire UK June Issue (UHQ)
Pelé, Moore, Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane & Beckenbauer

Source: downmagaz.com

01-05-2014
front row

Bryan Cranston for GQ UK June 2014 by Norman Jean Roy

Source: GQ UK June 2014 Digital Edition

01-05-2014
Ère de ℳodernité

I hate football with a passion, but those Esquire covers are great!

V.I.P.

The issue is such a snooze fest. It's reduced to £2.50 for the month and you can see why, next to nothing in it.

02-05-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
I hate football with a passion, but those Esquire covers are great!
Agree. I couldn't care less about the sport itself but those are some great covers.

front row

'Pastel Summer' for GQ China May 2014

Photographer : Guo Puyuan
Model : Wang Rui & Tang Xiaotian
Style : Arison Chen

GQ China May 2014 Digital Issue

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#5, #6, magazine, men, official, thread