How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2010
don't look down

The thing with POP is that you can never say much about the issue until you're holding it in your hands, because of the way it's composed of so many different sections and types of paper. It gives you the sensation that there's a lot in the issue, and that it would take you some time to appreciate all the content.

01-09-2010
lost in thought

^ You make me want to get this issue so badly

02-09-2010
backstage pass

is it on sale yet?

V.I.P.

^yes

02-09-2010
V.I.P.

Blonde Ambition is such a nice editorial, I knew it's gonna be great, but that's very interesting stuff! Every girl gives to the picture something from yourself, and all the models seems to be different in their own way. So that's why I'm so in love with it.

02-09-2010
starving hysterical naked

I have to say that the cover has grown on me, I'm kinda getting used to it's girly-glitziness and it won't put me off from picking a copy up as I thought it would do (I still don't find it outstandingly ingenuous, though).

As for the content, it looks ridiculously great. I applause the casting director for envisionning Tetyana and Eniko together in an editorial, they make a surprising yet genuinely brilliant and complementary pairing Blond Ambition is far too long in my opinion. Other than that, the portraits really stand out, and among them all my eyes immediatly travel to Marloe's.

Black Ice

Has anyone seen the ed With McNeil??? x x

"Girl's got rhythm.."
02-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
These have to be some of the most fascinating magazine covers I have seen all year. Britney's role in popular culture has always intrigued me, particularly after her epic public breakdown. Like Marilyn Monroe before her, Britney is a tragic figure who was built up by the public around her only to be sacrificed later on, a sort of a sacrificial virgin. I think the way Britney is represented on these covers both reinforce and feed into this image. On one cover, she is a subservient bride, passively looking up to the viewer with her piercing sad eyes that shield her inner emotional turmoil. She is sweetly and saccharinely smiling, but the grin is forced and fake. Her tousled hair and dissheveled appearance--which is very similar to the way that Britney appears in public nowadays-- suggest that all is not as it may appear to be. On the other cover, she takes on the role of the teenage sex bomb, a role she so perfectly embodied when she first arrived on the pop scene more than 10 years ago. In a way, she is playing her former self. In addition, she does not have the same dead look here as she does on the first cover. On this cover, she looks more sultry than sedated. She coquettishly ogles and teases the viewer much like she did on her infamous Rolling Stone cover. In my opinion, the two covers sum up Britney's life in two different images which, when combined, tell a consecutive story. Britney started off as the teenage sex-bomb, but then was eventually forced to become the subservient (sacrificial) bride by the world around her.

I am probably reading too much into this, but I really do think the mise-en-scene and costumes invite some sort of interpretation that goes beyond the whole Japanese schoolgirl theme. Britney was specifically chosen for these covers for a reason and the way she is depcited, in my opinion, was carefully thought out. These images actually remind me of Warhol's garishly colored paintings of Marilyn Monroe (particularly the use of tacky, kitschy aesthetics and also the fact that Britney, who is sort of a modern day Marilyn, is the one being depicted), which, of course, commented on Monroe's own role as an icon and a tragic figure. Maybe the Warhol paintings served as some sort of inspiration?
I absolutely love and agree with your analysis/interpretation of both images.

ugh, I so have to get this issue, particularly the one with the backpack since it's sooo "cheesy brit brit back in the hit me baby one more time days". Blonde Ambition is soo good that I can't decide which shot I'm loving the most. All around, terrific issue.

trendsetter

The problem with living in the suburbs is that its hard to find the more er avant garde magazines like POP and V even at Barnes & Noble. But tomorrow I will search out this issue of Pop if I have to drive all over the state!!! I love Brit even though she's tacky. People are always like, "But you love high fashion how can you love Britney?!" lol

trendsetter

Ugh I want this issue so badly and the indie bookstore near me, and the closest Barnes & Noble didn't have it! At B&N I asked if they carried POP and they kept trying to show me POPSTAR- you know the tween magazines with tear out posters of Justin Bieber? It was really depressing.

you soft and only

I don't think it gets to North America for like a month yet.

03-09-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I don't think it gets to North America for like a month yet.

oh! Well that makes me feel a bit better than

rising star

The girl is old enough to look like the grandma of pop, the j-pop issue?
Pure b.s.

09-09-2010
V.I.P.

Britney Spears by Todd Cole.

fashiongonerogue

Last edited by tarsha; 09-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.
09-09-2010
V.I.P.

^ Thank you SOOOOOO much for posting! I'd been waiting for her editorial!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, britney, cole, fall, murakami, pop, spears, takashi, todd, winter