How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-08-2010
fashion insider

It looks so cool! The covers are amazing (even if Britney doesn't look the greatest) and the editorials sound superb!

24-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
I love Dasha's POP. I like that there is an obvious yet earnest effort put forth by the magazine staff to do things differently...whether or not it always works is besides the point. At least it's not stale and formulaic.
Agreed. What I like most about Dasha's Pop is that they don't rely on contributing editors to save the magazine from being a total waste of paper - which I think is what Love is successfully doing.

24-08-2010
trendsetter

These have to be some of the most fascinating magazine covers I have seen all year. Britney's role in popular culture has always intrigued me, particularly after her epic public breakdown. Like Marilyn Monroe before her, Britney is a tragic figure who was built up by the public around her only to be sacrificed later on, a sort of a sacrificial virgin. I think the way Britney is represented on these covers both reinforce and feed into this image. On one cover, she is a subservient bride, passively looking up to the viewer with her piercing sad eyes that shield her inner emotional turmoil. She is sweetly and saccharinely smiling, but the grin is forced and fake. Her tousled hair and dissheveled appearance--which is very similar to the way that Britney appears in public nowadays-- suggest that all is not as it may appear to be. On the other cover, she takes on the role of the teenage sex bomb, a role she so perfectly embodied when she first arrived on the pop scene more than 10 years ago. In a way, she is playing her former self. In addition, she does not have the same dead look here as she does on the first cover. On this cover, she looks more sultry than sedated. She coquettishly ogles and teases the viewer much like she did on her infamous Rolling Stone cover. In my opinion, the two covers sum up Britney's life in two different images which, when combined, tell a consecutive story. Britney started off as the teenage sex-bomb, but then was eventually forced to become the subservient (sacrificial) bride by the world around her.

I am probably reading too much into this, but I really do think the mise-en-scene and costumes invite some sort of interpretation that goes beyond the whole Japanese schoolgirl theme. Britney was specifically chosen for these covers for a reason and the way she is depcited, in my opinion, was carefully thought out. These images actually remind me of Warhol's garishly colored paintings of Marilyn Monroe (particularly the use of tacky, kitschy aesthetics and also the fact that Britney, who is sort of a modern day Marilyn, is the one being depicted), which, of course, commented on Monroe's own role as an icon and a tragic figure. Maybe the Warhol paintings served as some sort of inspiration?

Last edited by vavavinny; 24-08-2010 at 10:44 PM.
24-08-2010
V.I.P.

I love it. It took me a little bit, but I feel like I 'get' it (lol). Seriously though, I think it may just be the best cover Britney has ever done. I agree with the above post, the combination of Britney and this style cover is not a chance occurrence, rather it was intentional. I think it's going to become iconic with time, even if not everyone likes it right now.

scenester

I don't really know how to describe my feelings about the covers. They're haunting, sexy, submissive, and captivating. When I first saw these covers I didn't care for them too much, but I keep wanting to see them again and again.

These covers stand out so much more than other magazines' covers. Great work by Pop and great use of Britney Spears (I still love her).

25-08-2010
trendsetter

Although i don't like the cover, but the content sounds SO great!!!! Can't wait to see it all!

25-08-2010
tfs star

I'm delighted to see Britney on the cover! It took me some time to get used to the covers, but I like them now.
And Jacquelyn's editorial looks absolutely amazing.

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

I don't care about the cover, but I'm looking forward to see "Blonde Ambition", it sounds very promising!

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

I like it. It's unusual and something different.

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

The contents look super amazing so far and the unseen sounds extremely promising as well

I just gasped when I've read the review
that Eniko + Tetyana by Sean & Seng story, I just can't wait to see that
The Valentino story is such a standout as well, just so captivating, tricky, dangerous, somptuous...

And as for the cover, the first thing I told myself, how will it feels like to hold that fanzine-like picture as a sleek and voluminous album ? I love the idea, and I love how far they went, looks so realistic... That's just awesome...

Ok, I'm so thrilled by this issue

Last edited by mariemaud; 25-08-2010 at 06:18 AM.
25-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemaud View Post
Ok, I'm so thrilled by this issue
Just went through all the contents and my mouth literally went more and more open while scrolling down the review BRILLIANT issue!

V.I.P.

great contents shame about the cover

25-08-2010
clo
V.I.P.

I'm really looking forward to Blonde Ambition. The model cast is pretty amazing.

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

I iwsh some of the blonde ambition shots had the girls together
I would have loved to see triples or doubles of some of the girls

25-08-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
This is worse than horrible! Looks cheap and tacky.
I think cheap and tacky was the point. On Refinery29 they mentioned that it was suggestive of the cutesy "kawaii" Japanese photo booth pics, and they are completely right. They're not trying to do a glam, high-fashion Numéro-like cover. I think the concept is really neat, because too many magazines glam up celebrities in Valentino and create this persona which does not reflect the person under the clothes and makeup. I love POP's pluralistic, post-modern aesthetics in mixing high and low culture. It's smart because you can deride it for being gimmicky, but they can retort "that's the point."

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, britney, cole, fall, murakami, pop, spears, takashi, todd, winter