How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-01-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Why curves are the big issue

Katie Grand, editor-in-chief of influential 'POP' magazine, pays tribute to a catwalk maverick

The person you put on the cover of a magazine sends a message to the world, so it's vital that you get it right. In the past, POP's cover stars have been celebrities (Madonna, Liz Hurley, Kylie), models (Gisele, Kate Moss, Agyness Deyn), even fashion designers (Stella McCartney). This time, we've not only put a model - Stephanie Seymour - on the front but we've devoted the entire issue to her.
For those not familiar with the name, Stephanie was one of the early 1990s breed of supermodels, that definitive generation who became famous well beyond the confines of the catwalk. But she was different from the rest of them, both physically - 5ft 10in and a curvy 34B-22in-35in - and in attitude, possessing a maverick quality that would ensure she became part of fashion mythology.
I admit to something of an obsession with her. I grew up knowing all about her - what she was wearing, who she was modelling for, and, most intriguingly, who she was going out with.
At 14, the Californian girl known as Daddy Longlegs entered the Elite agency's Look of the Year contest. She didn't win, but two years later she was living with John Casablancas, the head of Elite. Not long after splitting up with him, she had a fling with Warren Beatty, who was cool back then.
Then there was her three-year affair with rock's wild man, Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses and she appeared in the band's videos for November Rain and Don't Cry. There were rumours that the wedding that took place between her and Axl during the former was - unbeknown to her - legally binding. Whatever the status of that union, in 1994 she married the art-collecting, racehorse-breeding publisher Peter Brant, with whom she has had three children.
Now 39, she has devoted much of the past decade to bringing them up. However, she has continued to model for Playboy and Salvatore Ferragamo, and was the face of Victoria's Secret.
So what is behind my choice of Seymour for the cover? Many decisions in fashion are based on gut instinct - and selecting Stephanie was one of those. I've met her several times - and on each occasion she's intrigued me more. Artistically, her work has remained fascinating. In 2002, fashion photographer Juergen Teller published a marvellous book of intimate and challenging images of her.
Living legends aren't that scarce in fashion. Think Kate or Naomi or photographers Mario Testino and Steven Meisel. But Stephanie was always more elusive than her supermodel sisters - and consequently all the more enigmatic.
Fashion is also full of accomplished models, but she's more than that, too. Even the best never quite match the beauty of their best shots - most fashion imagery is fantasy, after all - but Stephanie actually looks better in real life.
I first met her last September in Paris, during preparations for the Louis Vuitton spring/summer 08 show, which I styled. The scene veered from the cinematic - as she stepped off her private jet, dressed head to toe in Azzedine Alaïa - to the comic as, completely flustered, I struggled to utter a sentence.
I've never before encountered such an overwhelming physical presence. Like Jessica Rabbit, she looks like she's been drawn - an archetypal voluptuous, womanly figure made flesh. Then, after the mythology and the physical perfection, comes the real shock when you discover that actually she is incredibly down to earth.
At the Vuitton show, she was the first on the catwalk. You might think that with her amazing looks and 25 years of modelling experience, she'd just breeze in, but she was nervous, fretting that she wasn't sexy enough to be the first on the runway.
Of course, she was! By devoting this issue of POP to Seymour, I suppose I'm throwing the spotlight on a more curvaceous femininity than we have seen of late.
However, it has nothing to do with age - a return to curves, breasts and hips isn't an age thing. What I know is that people in the fashion industry are currently very excited about shape and substance - as illustrated by the hourglass, feminine silhouettes in the new spring/summer collections - two qualities which Stephanie has in abundance.
telegraph.co.uk

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

is this issue on sale now? in the UK?
thanks

V.I.P.

I pretty much share the same feelings as Katie about Seymour.For me she was always more fascinating,more intriguing than Cindy,Naomi and the rest.That amazing body and face,can go from sexy to elegant with single face expression.

The famous Avedon photograph where she is lifting her dress,showing her sex is still amazing because only Stephanie could pull it off, not making it vulgar.

Thanks for posting the article.

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

An amazing article hopefully it's truthful and not a madeup just because someone is paying her to say/write so. I appreciate Katie for following her gut.
Otherwise I completely agree about the Stephanie statement. The only one standing out on the latest LV ads is her. Stephanie's face is the perfect classical kind of 80's/Charlie's angels/sexy example. She also has the best hair in the business.

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

Here are some scans of Stephanie's edit;

Credit:http://fashionista.com/2008/01/post_843.php#more

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

Same source

31-01-2008
front row

i actually like the editorial, but i dont like the cover "/
now itll be another long wait for their fall issue, i hope they use another model like this issue.

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

WOw Stephanies editorial is fantastic, love the big hair and her body is amazing!

31-01-2008
trendsetter

Man, I'm so happy, so many great issues are out this month, my wallet doesn't seem to be too happy though.

31-01-2008
trendsetter

the cover is so boring, it's just stephanie seymour against a wall basically nude. this has been done at least 50 times i think

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

"Hair Storm"

Ph by: Solve Sundsbo
Hair stylist: Luigi Murenu
Fashion editor: Sally Lyndley
Models: Doutzen Kroes, Isabeli Fontana, Rianne Ten Haken, Amy Wassen, Hilary Rhoda, Nastasha Vujovic, Catherine McNeil, Lara Stone, Natasha Poly and Missy Rayder.

scanned by me

Last edited by J'ador-DioR; 31-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.
31-01-2008
V.I.P.

Continued...

V.I.P.

omg LOVE that Hair Storm!!!

31-01-2008
front row

OMG, I desperately need this, the hair editorial is GORGEOUS!!! might be better than the one in SelfService...Doutzen looks amazing!

31-01-2008
trendsetter

The hair editorial is amazing indeed, although the 'Self Service' one was better in terms of originality and diversity.Still, the issue seems great.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, pop, seymour, spring or summer, stephanie, sundsbø, sølve