How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2010
rising star

who are these fashion editors?? i don't think their work can carry a bi-annual. the whole fashion section reminds me of tank magazine! i think dasha definately brings a fresh perspective to the magazine, but that idea that it's an art/fashion crossover doesn't come through. the contributors to the issue seem haphazzard, esp if the Juergen Teller story was a dropped campaign. in the war between love and pop that seems to be going on i can't help but feel that they both lose. just give us some exciting fashion imagery. PLEASE!

06-02-2010
front row

I do love it! and I can feel that Abbey Lee grows up very well. I mean, when she made her debut, I didn't think she would be a top model, BUT now she is. Abbey's really really cool. So is the cover.

trendsetter

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PHOTOS!!
sry.. :p

06-02-2010
backstage pass

Some previews

Abbey Lee, Sessilee and Kelly by Richard Prince
[shala.thepop.com]

06-02-2010
backstage pass

Can't wait for the scans !

06-02-2010
backstage pass

couldn't find this any store today...

V.I.P.

I found it today on a newstand, but the WHSmith's in Selfridges, which is usually really well stocked, still didn't have it.

06-02-2010
windowshopping

I absolutely LOVE it. I think my favourite part so far is the article with Mrs Burstein from Browns.. I think the magazine feels fresh, uncluttered and understated. It just feels less try-hard then Katie's POP. I don't see any correlation with Tank at all...

windowshopping

Also, for everyone who is still seeking an issue, try Magma on Earlham St in Covent Garden.... It's right by the Bauer building (POP publishers) which might be why they had such a huge delivery!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-raven View Post
who are these fashion editors?? i don't think their work can carry a bi-annual.
Well, perhaps a publication that generates such high expectation as POP shouldn't be the right place to test waters but I like the fact that Dasha seems to be giving new talents like Vanessa Reid the risky chance of having an important outlet to show her work and certainly all the liberties (financial and creative) that otherwise, considering her limited experience prior to the last issue, wouldn't probably be receiving in an industry with thousands of aspiring editors, few real talents and only a handful of well-connected stylists that are continually rotated and show up in the same publications month after month as if it were a life-and-death issue to give someone new an opportunity.. it really isn't much different than Panos or Olivier's first stories at publications with more adventurous editors-in-chief and the good (and raw) results they turned.
I don't know if Dasha can sing victory yet, all I know is that while Katie keeps giving us a lesson of what 20 years in fashion can teach you in terms of immediate, predictable, eye-impacting, empty hype (Naked Supermodels/Controversial-looking lead singer by Mert&Marcus?), Dasha seems to have taken her experience in the art world and inexperience in fashion in her favor and played things a bit (with good to questionable results) from what appears to be the side of an actual magazine reader who wants to see new designers, new ideas and hopefully some celebration of individuality in their stories, which I think is more valuable at the end.

V.I.P.

^ Thank you for writing this

Bottomline is, Dasha and her team is making a huge effort to impress its readers ( and we can tell ) and Katie
with all her experience and success with the old Pop is still struggling in the sense with Love (or should I say not making an
effort? with all the overpublicity in UK make me wonder if the magazine is actually doing that well sometimes ) , Love up till now is sadly still about the hype not the actual solid content.

The Love versus Pop issue will still go on and it's not looking great for Katie I must say.

Sometimes I feel she still depends mostly on her collab with
MM for the success of her magazine and " critical acclaim ", just
look at the last remaining issues of the old Pop you will know...

06-02-2010
V.I.P.

Once again, Dasha has impressed me by putting together a very interesting issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealseven View Post
^ Thank you for writing this

Bottomline is, Dasha and her team is making a huge effort to impress its readers ( and we can tell ) and Katie
with all her experience and success with the old Pop is still struggling in the sense with Love (or should I say not making an
effort? with all the overpublicity in UK make me wonder if the magazine is actually doing that well sometimes ) , Love up till now is sadly still about the hype not the actual solid content.

The Love versus Pop issue will still go on and it's not looking great for Katie I must say.

Sometimes I feel she still depends mostly on her collab with
MM for the success of her magazine and " critical acclaim ", just
look at the last remaining issues of the old Pop you will know...

Completely agree!! I have been so let down by the first couple issues of LOVe. I have yet to get the new one, so perhaps things have turned around...but POP has actually become better since Katie left.

Last edited by LUXXX; 06-02-2010 at 06:27 PM.
06-02-2010
V.I.P.

After getting this today I have to say I don't like it anywhere near as much as the last issue. While I don't feel it's a bad issue, it just isn't thrilling me like parts of Dasha's first issue did.

06-02-2010
V.I.P.

Go Kelly!!!

06-02-2010
God Save McQueen

this cover is amazing. i was so worried about the magazine after Grand left but this is really something special. i don't even care about the contents because the covers are so good. After some really disappointing work for W, I am thrilled to see Prince is capable of doing good fashion stuff (i won't comment on his recent artwork).

I am disappointed they are continuing to be obsessed with tavi, but damn that cover is good. I can't wait to see the cover's ed.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2010, abbey, kershaw, lee, pop, prince, richard, spring or summer