How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-10-2008
backstage pass

^ I doubt M+M will have an ed, otherwise who better than to shoot the final cover. This cover just proves to me how bad Pop has become, I hate Drew getting all this fashion coverage for what?!?! But at least her first cover was soo much better, soo Pop. but this....

But on the plus side, because Katie is moving to Conde Nast to make 'Love', she'll be able to work with M+M again, because they are with C N now. YAYS!

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

^ Yup, exact sentiments, if they have an ed in the magazine, I'm sure they will be the ones shooting the cover, well maybe I'm just giving myself a little hope

Yup, hope they shoot for LOVE as much as they shoot for POP, exactly what I had in mind, Katie + M&M = Happy Family at Conde Nast!

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

I think somebody at POP has just realised their mistakes

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

Looking back at previous POP covers... this is a total let down.
imo, the Autumn issue would of been a better "final issue" for Katie

Rhoda Addict

does anyone knows when it comes out?

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

^ 17th November

Yup, I agree with vogue28, probably it's true that why they had the typo error of Autumn issue on this Winter issue , probably this issue was actually made to be the Autumn issue

Katie did say before, for POP she wanted to make iconic and memorable covers, this certainly isn't an iconic cover

Last edited by surrealseven; 26-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.
26-10-2008
tfs star

her's what i found considering Katie decided to resign. if this has already been posted or just an off-topic feel free to delete this post.

Quote:
What Katie did next

Why is Katie Grand, the ultra-cool editor of Pop, leaving the title she founded to launch a new magazine for Condé Nast? Asks Alice Wignall

Katie Grand is on the phone from Paris, where, as an in-demand stylist, she's working at fashion week. "It can be a bit glamorous," she concedes, "but by 3am it's usually just quite a lot of work and eating sausage rolls and drinking coffee." Things are a little more exciting away from the catwalk: Grand is shortly to leave her day job editing the ultra-cool fashion mag Pop for Bauer, and decamp to Condé Nast with her entire team to launch a new title.
Her new project? A twice-yearly, as-yet-unnamed style magazine that, according to the official announcement, is going to be "edgy", "experimental" and "high-end". Which doesn't sound a million miles away from Pop, which Grand founded in 2000. Condé Nast was in fact initially keen to buy Pop lock, stock and barrel - but Bauer declined. "We have been considering having a magazine in this very edgy style sector for some time," says Nicholas Coleridge, the managing director of Condé Nast in the UK. "We kept hearing that they [Bauer] weren't very committed to Pop but eventually they decided it was no dice, they didn't want to sell it. But by that time Katie had come into our lives. I guess we've been flirting, in a career sense."
For her part, Grand says she was happy either way. "I kind of knew that Condé Nast had put in bids for Pop. I thought, if it happens, great. If not, it would also be great to do something new ... Maybe it's better just to do something that's completely a fresh start."
According to Bauer, the changing of the guard at Pop is just a regular bit of staff turnover. "We publish many magazines," says David Davies, managing director of Bauer's women's magazines division, "editors do change and we're used to that." Except this is an editor who has invented and defined the title she works on, and who is taking her whole team with her. It's hardly run-of-the-mill HR.
Bauer insists there is no doubt that Pop will continue to exist. "Of course," says Davies, "why would it not?" He argues that Condé Nast is "copying" a Bauer idea. "We'll continue in the more maverick role," he adds. "Katie has probably achieved what she's going to with the title. Pop will be very different going forward and it's very exciting for us. Condé Nast is more of an institution, and that's not our role."
As Coleridge puts it, Bauer has a "centre of gravity" weighted towards its weekly titles: Heat, Closer and Grazia. According to industry gossip, Bauer wasn't especially interested in Pop and failed to look after the title or the team. "There was a definite feeling of being a square peg in a round hole," Grand agrees. The magazine had been moved back into Bauer's main office, from its old home in Clerkenwell. "We were acutely aware of doing something different from everyone else," says Grand. "By the end, to be walking through radio advertising or whatever and be openly called 'the weirdos', it was just unpleasant."
But, she says, "those things are pretty insignificant compared to all the great times I had there." She calls Davies a "super-enthusiastic" publisher and singles out Mark Frith, the ex-editor of Heat, who "behind the scenes, has been very supportive over the last few months".
And, clearly, Condé Nast is hardly an any-port-in-a-storm bolthole. Coleridge is openly gleeful about having secured Grand and the team. That despite Condé Nast's last foray into edgy style territory, Trash magazine - a joint venture with Ministry of Sound in 2003 - being a failure. But there's a sense it's not the launch that's important, it's having Grand. "We are more interested in the talent joining the company," says Coleridge.
Grand's fashion acumen is legendary. She has worked as a stylist for Bottega Veneta and Miu Miu, and currently works for Louis Vuitton, Loewe and Giles Deacon. Her fashion reach has led the London Evening Standard to say, "What Katie does - and Katie says - is as influential as it gets." But she can, however, do commercial as well as cool: Pop has a circulation of 125,000 and - as Grand points out - has been one of Bauer's 10 most successful titles in business terms. She seems eager to keep focused on commercial realities. "It's really important to have a large circulation and following," she says.
It's also a canny attitude in what is hardly a friendly economic atmosphere ("It's not an ideal time to launch a new magazine," Grand admits). "We've launched magazines in many difficult, turbulent times," says Coleridge, who (perhaps unsurprisingly) thinks the signs for high-end titles are good: "We're feeling pretty confident."
Plans are still in very early stages, partly because Grand didn't want to start working on the new title - which will launch in March - before it became official. "There was something about starting to commission for the new title ... I couldn't do it," she says. There were all these rumours flying around before I had resigned. It was a bit like having an affair. I was getting like: 'Can we just announce it? Can I resign now?'" She is still working on the December issue of Pop.
It demonstrates, if nothing else, that after eight years as an editor, after enjoying commercial and critical success in the job, the siren call of lucrative styling gigs around the world (small-hours sausage rolls thrown in for free) isn't strong enough to tempt Grand away from magazines completely. "I still think of myself as an editor before a stylist," she says. "I like that thing of going into an office and being bossy, saying, 'Let's do this'. It's what I've always wanted to do."

guardian.co.uk

26-10-2008
Rhoda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealseven View Post
^ 17th November

Thankee

26-10-2008
trendsetter

so last issue is in december...yay!...

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

I don't hate the cover but the thing that bothers me is it looks terribly outdated. It just has this sort of old but not old feel about it. Like, it was a cover they shot 1 year ago and decided to use it again or something.

The styling reminds me of Marc Jacobs Fall 2006 which reminds me of Fall 2006 which just reminds me of being outdated

26-10-2008
The future is stupid

Hi everyone... please continue the discussion on Katie Grand leaving POP... POP's future & her new magazine LOVE in The Business of Magazines thread.
There is already plenty of info & discussion about all of that going on in there.

Thank You!

27-10-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xone View Post
so last issue is in december...yay!...
Actually the last issue for Grand is this issue, it's impossible and unusual for them to churn out two issues between such a short time. I think the late November release of this issue meant December for the journalist

27-10-2008
boop

I think of two quotes when I look at this cover:

"Mediocrity shuffles after banality in an unending process."

"Oh hale to the naaaaaaaaaaw."

I think the second quotation is more in line with my current feelings about this utter monstrosity. Drew Barrymore? Really? A bunny? Seriously? I like bunnies as much as Anya Jenkins and I like Drew Barrymore even less. Good riddance to bad rubbish - Pop just has not been the same since Mert & Marcus left. I'll save my cash and wait for Love magazine.

28-10-2008
rising star

She looks good but..... WHY?????? Again and again she lands these "high fashion" mag covers. I think she is nice and all but enough is enough already! She's not that interesting and style is average. She's pretty and extremely talented and her personality is OK but move on. This isn't even a matter of wanting a model cover but someone fresh and/or with a better since of style. And maybe just a little bit inspiring.

V.I.P.

Why Drew again? Even Kate Moss would be better

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, alasdair, barrymore, drew, mclellan, pop, winter