Russh October / November 2011 : Britt Maren by Hugh Lippe - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
No Stevie Dance, Will Davidson, Benny Horne, or the other key regular contributors in this issue... and therefore, not interesting. The most obvious thing is they tried to shoot the same kind of stories, but they come off as bad imitations. Eliza's editorial by Nick Dorey is the only one I'm enjoying, as it is not only lovely but feels genuinely original.
I don't really follow the goings on behind the scenes of magazines but what happened to Stevie Dance and co? Because they were the lifeblood of Russh... but who knows... it could still thrive without them though once the mag gets on it's feet again.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 08-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.
08-10-2011
V.I.P.

i love the cover but that's all

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I don't really follow the goings on behind the scenes of magazines but what happened to Stevie Dance and co? Because they were the lifeblood of Russh... but who knows... it could still thrive without them though once the mag gets on it's feet again.
Honestly, I have no idea. Stevie Dance had released a statement saying she was moving on from her position as editor of the magazine, but I was shocked to see the complete turnover of contributors in this issue. Hopefully there's no bad blood behind-the-scenes and we'll see some of them continue to be a part of the magazine in the future. Otherwise, they need to come up with some fresh concepts, because as I said, this issue felt like a B-list (that's being generous) edition of their regular publication.

Actually their new editor sort of looks like a knockoff version of Stevie as well
http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/jess...agazine-sydney

Russh had a similar shakeup in 2008 and bounced back, so... here's hoping.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...ign-64135.html

09-10-2011
fashion icon

^Ahh.... gotcha. Hopefully Russh will bounce back, better then ever. This issue feels like a copy of itself, but you know it's probably because so many people left so they didn't know what to do with this issue or whatever. Maybe next issue will be better once everyone settled into the new positions.

i'm almost ready..

i actually really like what i'm seeing. i'm not understanding all the negativity.

12-10-2011
front row

What is the Britt Maren shoot like? I can't find it online and haven't managed to pick up an issue yet

12-10-2011
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
i actually really like what i'm seeing. i'm not understanding all the negativity.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing what's so horrible about this issue. I don't know, Russh has always looked this way to me (although maybe that's the problem?).

12-10-2011
i'm almost ready..

i think people are seeing Stevie's loss in part because they know she's not there anymore. i have to question how much of this 'RIP Russh' sentiment is an attachment to someone like Stevie rather than receiving the individual work of each issue objectively and for what it is.....new work, every time, that is open to subjective opinion and response.

don't get me wrong, I also really enjoyed Stevie's aesthetic (most of the time) and thought she did a great job at Russh.....I will look forward to seeing what she does in her new venture....but I also don't see, at least from these initial scans, a huge loss or departure from Russh's point of view and aesthetic.... this still all looks really strong to me.

i think we need to ask ourselves if what we're seeing is what's on the page.....or if what we're seeing is work that we know doesn't involve a particular person who we like, and therefore if we are going in with some bias already in place..

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
i think people are seeing Stevie's loss in part because they know she's not there anymore. i have to question how much of this 'RIP Russh' sentiment is an attachment to someone like Stevie rather than receiving the individual work of each issue objectively and for what it is.....new work, every time, that is open to subjective opinion and response.
You have your opinon and I have mine, but I think that's a very insulting and condescending thing to imply, that because I know Stevie is gone I'm not judging the issue fairly. As I stated, I also miss Will Davidson and Benny Horne in this issue, two photographers who contributed to the magazine just as much as Stevie. To me, the loss of these two is more blatant and obvious than Stevie's absence.

Dan Martensen's editorial looks like a D-list version of Benny Horne's aesthetic for the magazine. Derek Henderson's is terribly boring and their watered down Will Davidson look.

As I said before, Nick Dorey's editorial is great -- beautiful photograph and styling -- and, along with Stephen Ward's, is the only one that feels up to the quality and standard that I expect from Russh.

I was being facetious when I said RIP Russh. I agree with YoninahAliza that there is a period of getting settled and figuring out their formula. As a huge fan of the magazine I sincerely hope that they will be able work something out, and quickly, because with the magazines tumultuous past and magazines like Oyster rapidly gaining momentum (maybe even stealing their identity) they can not afford not to.

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

Photographer: Hugh Lippe Fashion editor: Gillian Wilkins Model: Britt Maren Hair: Rolando Beauchamp
Makeup: Ozzy Salvatierra

oraclefox.blogspot.com

13-10-2011
fashion insider

^ more..

fashiongonerogue

14-10-2011
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
You have your opinon and I have mine, but I think that's a very insulting and condescending thing to imply, that because I know Stevie is gone I'm not judging the issue fairly. As I stated, I also miss Will Davidson and Benny Horne in this issue, two photographers who contributed to the magazine just as much as Stevie. To me, the loss of these two is more blatant and obvious than Stevie's absence.

Dan Martensen's editorial looks like a D-list version of Benny Horne's aesthetic for the magazine. Derek Henderson's is terribly boring and their watered down Will Davidson look.

As I said before, Nick Dorey's editorial is great -- beautiful photograph and styling -- and, along with Stephen Ward's, is the only one that feels up to the quality and standard that I expect from Russh.

I was being facetious when I said RIP Russh. I agree with YoninahAliza that there is a period of getting settled and figuring out their formula. As a huge fan of the magazine I sincerely hope that they will be able work something out, and quickly, because with the magazines tumultuous past and magazines like Oyster rapidly gaining momentum (maybe even stealing their identity) they can not afford not to.
Don't be insulted, heather. my comment wasn't personal and it certainly wasn't aimed at you. You were the original poster of the words "RIP russh' but I chose to re-use that phrase because it summed up people's sentiments rather than to specifically target you.

14-10-2011
front row

I guess we don't have to guess now what has happened to all their photographers.

I usually britt maren but she looks awful here I.M.O it is SO unflattering

I agree with whoever noted that the stephen ward black and white shoot is nice, it's the only one I like so far.

Are there any more eds?

I'm disappointed

23-10-2011
backstage pass

haha i actually loved the eds in this issue! Not britt maren's but i think The girl in the Flat, Together now, and Hydeaway are the nicest ed's i have seen in rush for awhile

backstage pass

The other day I tweeted:
Quote:
'used to be an avid @Russh_Magazine fan but now that stevie dance has moved to @OysterMag i wonder... the @lindseywixson ed is bangin''
to which Russh replied in a sarcastic and begrudging way:
@kcampbellstone thanks for the support!

then I responded:
@Russh_Magazine don't worry, i still love you!

and they replied:
@kcampbellstone phew

To me I found this really unprofessional and slightly amusing - what sort of magazine takes offence at someone's personal opinion on the internet and posts it to their nearly 14,000 twitter followers? Whoever is managing their twitter account has obviously not been trained very well in terms of PR.
Maybe, I'm reading too far into it but still, I'm not too sure what to think...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, britt, hugh, lippe, maren, november, october, russh