How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-10-2013
Mr. Magic

Style.com/Print Spring 2014 : Joan Smalls / Elise Crombez
instagram/c_leah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1c1b5c5441b511e385ee22000ae90dd1_7.jpg (82.4 KB, 255 views)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

31-10-2013
V.I.P.

Loving the silver border.

fashion insider

Meh... Doesn't even look much like Joan to me.

31-10-2013
fashion icon

Great cover! I'll definitely be buying it.

31-10-2013
V.I.P.

Joan Smalls by Collier Schorr. She's wearing Hood by Air

31-10-2013
fashion elite

I love her stand and styling

V.I.P.

Very cool!

trendsetter

Nothing really special. Hopefully the content is a little better than the last issue, but with a bleak season to work with I doubt it can be.

31-10-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

stunning

V.I.P.

gorgeous! love joan

V.I.P.

Simply divine. That is all.

01-11-2013
V.I.P.

2nd cover: Elise Crombez by Willy Vandeperre in Dior

facebook/style.com

V.I.P.

Quote:
ISSUE 05
Spring 2014

Spring 2014 was the season that the street reasserted its influence over fashion. From nineties-style logomania to the resurgence of basketball shorts and track pants, elements of streetwear were all over the runways. How do you really define street? Mostly it's a question of attitude, and in this issue of Style.com/Print, we aim to delve deeper into that question.

That starts with two collectible covers. One features the Belgian model Elise Crombez in Dior, photographed on location in Antwerp, designer Raf Simons' home base. Shooting outfits from Simons' own menswear line with the extraordinary couture and ready-to-wear collections he has designed for Dior, photographer Willy Vanderperre and stylist Olivier Rizzo, two of Simons' closest collaborators, explore for the first time the connection between his designs for both houses. Meanwhile, Tim Blanks' interview with Simons shows how this forward-thinking designer, whose menswear is rooted in the street and youth culture, is quietly revolutionizing one of Paris' most storied fashion houses.

Our other cover stars supermodel Joan Smalls, shot by Jamie Morgan in Hood by Air and styled by Hood by Air's own Shayne Oliver, the designer of the exciting young label that has suddenly erased the line between streetwear and high fashion. Maya Singer's profile shows how Oliver and his close-knit group of collaborators are storming the fashion establishment, on their own terms.

In this issue, we're also delighted to present a specially curated portfolio by Hedi Slimane, in which the creative director of Saint Laurent demonstrates his connection to his adopted hometown of Los Angeles, the city where the street meets the ocean.

Other highlights include Alasdair McLellan's portraits of the crew behind London skate phenomenon Palace, provocative essays by Courtney Love and A.P.C. founder Jean Touitou, an exclusive interview with Stefano Pilati about his plans to reshape the Italian womenswear label Agnona, behind-the-scenes stories with Phillip Lim and Sacai, and of course our in-depth coverage of the Spring 2014 collections, including our popular ranking of the Top 10 Shows by number of page views on Style.com.

From L.A. to London, Brooklyn to Belgium, Paris to Tokyo, Issue 05 of Style.com/Print explores the vital connection between fashion and the street. Order your copy today.
style

V.I.P.

Elise's cover is so much better.

04-11-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
A NEW TRADITION
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE WORLD'S MOST FORWARD-THINKING DESIGNER TAKES OVER THE MOST VENERABLE FASHION HOUSE IN PARIS? RAF SIMONS ON HIS JOURNEY FROM ANTWERP TO DIOR

Profile by Tim Blanks. Photographs by Willy Vanderperre. Styling by Olivier Rizzo.

"Confusion is one of my favorite words," declares Raf Simons. "When there is confusion, there is dialogue." He is musing on the critical response to someone like himself, part man of the moment, part discombobulating harbinger of things to come. "Dialogue is about creating an interesting debate, about creating momentum." And there is plenty of that in a conversation with Simons. It's like catching up with an old friend from school, someone you haven't seen for a dog's age whom professional success has elevated to a higher plane, but who still worries about the same intense making-the-world-a-better-place issues. And thank Christ for that.

In the world of high fashion—and there is scarcely fashion higher than the world of Christian Dior, which Simons now straddles as the house's creative director—he is a humanist anomaly, a commonsensical riposte to some of the curious orthodoxies that prevail in the industry. Why, for instance, are catwalks alive with flights of fancy, while stores often seem to be selling the same old, same old? "It doesn't feel right to me," he says. "I'd rather find a beautiful balance between what we show and what we sell. At my age [45], I'm happy to try to find a way to succeed on both levels. It's one thing to make yourself into a designer where everyone says, 'Oh, you're so genius!' then nothing sells. It needs to be on people's backs. That's ready-to-wear."

Simons launched his career in 1995 as a designer of menswear that rapidly moved the goalposts of male fashion, chilling it with a razor-thin, hard-edged urgency drawn from the punk and electronic music he loved. One of the most mesmerizing aspects of his Dior tenure so far has been the way that Raf then connects with Raf now. "In the early days, I wasn't even thinking about runway shows as a possibility," he says. "It was more about making clothes, and the attraction of people wearing those clothes. I think that attraction—the emotion of a man or woman dressed in things you're doing—is coming back very strongly. It's very often the reason to start communication. I got disconnected from that as things got bigger over the years. Dior has reconnected me. It was fantastic what clients had to say at the Dior Joaillerie dinner after the last couture shows. They wanted to sit and talk."

That notion of reconnection—so subtly but forcefully insinuating as to link the superficially unlinkable—is the thread that ties together Simons' own Spring collection for men, his Dior couture collection for Fall, and Dior's latest ready-to-wear collection, for Spring 2014. "I have a problem seeing couture as this thing that has to be very different aesthetically and mentally from ready-to-wear, from fashion for people," he muses. "It's weird for me to think about couture and focus on its old aspects. I find it more challenging to link it to what kind of life we live these days."

Contemporary life doesn't faze Simons. "I am embracing what our world is becoming. It's very propaganda, very man-made, a world of speed, a world of fast, direct communication. Our world is very produced. It's a lot about consumption. I want to make collections that show that. But under that are the basic ingredients I am always interested in: a certain kind of romance, darkness, youth." In a world of speed, a shadow must inevitably pass over youth and beauty and—eventually—everything else. That melancholy scenario has, in a subliminal way, often provided the poignant core of Simons' own collections.

But now that he's at Dior, there's something else in play—his own fascination with how Christian Dior himself would have responded to the changes wrought in the decades following his death, in 1957. "Everyone defines the Dior aesthetic around the Bar silhouette and the full skirt and the Femme Fleur, but that was only ten years. What if Dior had gone through the sixties, the seventies, the eighties…? He was interested in very different things. I found him revolutionary in taking risks. He was very liberated in the way he reached out to the women of the world, to different cultures and religions."

Not so long ago, the notion of Raf Simons helming the house of Dior would have seemed like a surreal idea, but he has risen to the challenges he's set himself to a remarkable and surprising degree. Take his last couture show, set against digital backdrops created backstage in the moment by four stellar fashion shooters. Dior himself, friend to Dalí and Giacometti, might have appreciated the collaborative nature of the whole shebang. "I love collaborations and reinterpretations," Simons says animatedly. "It's inspiring to see my clothes in different situations. I know there are designers who have problems with that, who only want their clothes shot as complete looks by magazines, but I'm the opposite of that. The more you open up, the more things come in."

He's encountered that kind of open attitude within the walls of Dior. "It's as if everybody wants so much for it to be nice, not just the collection but the atmosphere, the mood. I think that's because the presence of couture is still so strong. It's just all these women sitting together. It's a pretty calming feeling for a designer, very different from when you're sitting in a room presenting to seven different manufacturers, none of whom may be able to do what you want."

Equally reassuring has been his role as creative director. "How I see myself at Dior is very different from how I see myself in my own brand. Creative directors are not in charge. They are a link in a chain. That is calming for me. It works very well because we are all together. It's actually the same with Dior and with my own business. I need to have an environment where people decide things and believe in things together."

Which brings us almost too neatly to Antwerp, spiritual and actual home of a surprising number of the people who are responsible for the current health of the fashion body politic. The images on the previous pages were created by stylist Olivier Rizzo and photographer Willy Vanderperre, both Belgian. Simons met Rizzo more than twenty years ago in Antwerp, when Simons was interning with Walter Van Beirendonck after graduating in industrial and furniture design from the college in Genk, and Rizzo had a holiday job in WVB's studio. A level of professional success that takes them away from home far and often has come to them all, but they still see things the same way, hang out the same way, share a state of mind and a language. "We've all been feeling, 'Let's get back to Antwerp,'" says Simons. "Then we did things together because that was our world. Now we have a lot of nostalgia for doing these things again in Antwerp. It's very much a need, I think, for this small environment and strong friendships."

Simons, Rizzo, and Vanderperre are arch global fashion arbiters, and yet, says Simons, "At the end of the day, we all carry Antwerp so much in our hearts. On New Year's Eve, we're all together. None of us could imagine it any other way." And now, neither can I.
style

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, collier, crombez, elise, jamie, joan, morgan, schorr, smalls, spring, stylecom or print