System Issue #9 : Raquel Zimmermann by Juergen Teller - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2017
V.I.P.

System Issue #9 : Raquel Zimmermann by Juergen Teller

*system-magazine.com

V.I.P.

Preview of Teller's editorial and interview with System's editor-in-chief

Quote:
Getting stood up is a moment anyone can relate to. But have you ever been stood up by Rihanna, though? Probably not – even less so if the date was arranged on a 60,000 square foot medical cannabis facility in Canada.

Unfortunately, that was the case for fashion photographer Juergen Teller, when the singer (who was in bed, as ordered by her doctor, 2,800 miles away) couldn’t make it to the shoot for System magazine’s 9th issue. Not one to shy around things, both Teller’s portfolio and the issue’s coverline are simply: ‘Waiting for Rihanna’. Brilliant.

Even with Rihanna significantly absent, the industrious Teller didn’t leave empty handed – substituting the singer for Brazilian model, Raquel Zimmerman, with the further addition of some naked hula-hoopers for good measure.

As a regular collaborator with System, Teller’s last photographic portfolio for the magazine featured those pictures of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian in the French countryside, with the latter climbing in the mud in little more than tights and nude underwear sparking hundreds of memes. The latest issue also features a second supplement on Raf Simons’ debut at Calvin Klein and the next chapter for the brand, as well as features on Proenza Schouler, Michel Gaubert and a kissy questionnaire with model Lily McMenamy.

We asked System’s founding editor, Elizabeth von Guttman, to spill on the shoot.

What it was like being on set with Juergen, particularly when news of Rihanna being sick came last minute?

Elizabeth von Guttman: Initially, a mixture of disbelief and disorientation – heightened by the intense jet lag we were all experiencing. Most photographers would have got on a plane and gone home, but Juergen’s curiosity and desire to turn real-life situations into something to be photographed and explored and valued is almost stronger than him. To witness Juergen’s transformation of our collective vulnerability and desperation into a palpable energy and sense of new-found freedom was particularly impressive.

How did you find yourselves wanting to get Juergen to shoot in a 60,000 square ft medicinal cannabis facility?

Elizabeth von Guttman: Although System’s editorial voice and content could be perceived as quite focused – i.e. principally wanting to explore and examine conditions, people, and events within the heart of the fashion industry – it feels perfectly normal for us to want to break from or even undermine that from time to time. The beauty of operating within an independent editorial platform is being able to lose your head every once in a while – because saying to ourselves ‘What if we did this?’ feels right. That can also liberate you into exploring new ideas, new ways of thinking.

This shoot was an obvious example of this line of thinking. Medical cannabis facilities the other side of Canada might not seem an obvious System backdrop, but when you go out into the world with an open mind, you meet people operating in activities beyond fashion whose values and perspective sometimes bring new light to how fashion thinks, or sees itself. In a chance meeting with Brendan Kennedy – the inspiring CEO of Privateer Holdings, the company who owns the medical cannabis facility in question – we immediately had one of those ‘What if we did this?’ moments.

Is System best enjoyed while thoroughly blazed or is it for the sober of mind?

Elizabeth von Guttman: We are happy to embrace System’s contradictory nature: yes, it’s a rather earnest, but we also accept that there’s a slightly dysfunctional or almost unhinged streak that makes it less easily defined. Still, perfectly coherent tends to be boring or lifeless. With this in mind, all mental states should be able to find something within its pages to stimulate them.
*dazeddigital.com

backstage pass

instagram.com/simona.cepeliauskaite

12-04-2017
backstage pass

Stefano Gabbana commented that on instagram on a photo of the cover, translated to english "When one does not know what to do!!!"

12-04-2017
backstage pass

PREVIEW

system-magazine.com

12-04-2017
backstage pass

continuation PREVIEW

system-magazine.com

12-04-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbam View Post
Stefano Gabbana commented that on instagram on a photo of the cover, translated to english "When one does not know what to do!!!"
The pot called the kettle black...the same could be said on his ridiculous attempt to look relevant casting C-list bloggers on his latest show. Pathetic.

Now on the marihuana thing, I feel like it's a somewhat forced attempt to give commentary on a social topic, but I'm not botered as much by the choice of topic as I am by the execution...AND I usually like Teller. Either way I'm happy Rihanna was made fun of.

Looks like the rest of the issue is packed with quality content so I'll forget about the stoner edit and focus on what's to come

Last edited by YohjiAddict; 12-04-2017 at 09:26 AM.
12-04-2017
backstage pass

the best magazine, hands down.

12-04-2017
front row

the content seems amazing. Looking forward to have it in hands and read these articles ! About Stefano, he's very childish... I pity him.

12-04-2017
backstage pass

instagram.com/gaiarepossi

12-04-2017
fashion insider

The combination of Juergen and pot-culture couldn't be any more obnoxious on first impression.

But as a presentation here, it's really gorgeous. Along with all the content. Works for me.

Thanks gbam.

12-04-2017
fashion elite

Who cares about Rihanna (even if i love her) when you have Raquel & Polly Melen in the same issue...

12-04-2017
trendsetter

The content looks amazing, and many of Raquel's photos is out-of-this-world stunning. Gotta love Teller!
But why "Waiting for Rihanna" on the cover though?

trendsetter

Cover without "Waiting For Rihanna"

dnamodels

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmFW View Post
The content looks amazing, and many of Raquel's photos is out-of-this-world stunning. Gotta love Teller!
But why "Waiting for Rihanna" on the cover though?
Because Rihanna has been very vocal about her love for weed and the editorial was shot in a marihuana plantation.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#9, issue, juergen, raquel, teller, zimmermann