How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
13-08-2007
  166
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post
Hello!!!Its called VOGUE!!!NOT COSMO!!!
yeah, American Vogue did I write Cosmo?

  Reply With Quote
 
13-08-2007
  167
fashion elite
 
modela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,660

  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  168
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post
who is talking about culture?
hello, fashion is ALL about culture

  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  169
fashion elite
 
JeanAvril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,627
I have no problem with celebrities being on Vogue. But, when you are on the cover and the only reason you are famous is because you got played by your ex (Sienna Miller), that's when it gets on my nerves. So many great actresses deserved to be on that cover, most notably Meryl Streep. Has she ever been on a cover before? When you have chicks who suck at acting and style (in my opion) on the cover, then we have a problem.

  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  170
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanAvril View Post
So many great actresses deserved to be on that cover, most notably Meryl Streep.
Is there a Granny/Grandma Issue?


Last edited by Joseph26; 13-08-2007 at 05:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  171
fashion elite
 
JeanAvril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26 View Post
Is there a Granny/Grandma Issue?
Even if she is old, she could still be on the September cover of Vogue. I know I would buy it, and I'm 14. She could be on the Age Issue as well!:p

  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  172
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 546
How about new innovative designers? Designers who don't use anorexic models (oops, I forgot, Anna Wintour is in charge and she seems to like very, very thin girls).

__________________
Shorty Stories (petite issues) & Prospere Magazine (business & lifestyle blogzine)

  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  173
fashion elite
 
Harumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Paris When It Sizzles
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
because for every fan of Daria there are millions of Gwyneth, Kate Hudson, etc that's why! Is it that complicated to undertsand?
Then maybe you will agree that Ms Wintour is more suited to edit Us Weekly rather than a fashion magazine about fashion as promoted by fashion models.

You complain models are not interesting. Why? Because they don't give an interview about their love life alongside the photoshoot? Because despite spilling the beans, most of the cover subjects are bland, bland, bland. You cannot say to me that people like Jennifer Aniston are interesting.

Selling figures are not the measure of success for a fashion magazine. Influence and creativity are. US Vogue is influential all right, but only because advertisers know their ads will get exposure. They know the Us Vogue audience is made in big part by the kind of people who is very likely to buy a designer bag or t-shirt to taste a bit of the celebrity life-style. It's the kind of influence publications like People and Grazia have. It's not particularly prestigious frankly.

However, you kind of have a point about models. The fashion industry's current obsession with under-age and under-fed Bulgarian orphans is tiresome. I understand they want to avoid the repeat of the 80s phenomena of models getting more press than the clothes, but going from Divas to invisible women is just too extreme a step.
There are models with interesting personalities, who have lived a bit and can hold a conversation. I dislike the looks of Lily Cole, Karen Elson and Gemma, but those girls have more spunk than a Jennifer Connely (who is very pretty but very boring). Just listen to them when they are allowed to talk, they are not boring girls.

I can understand the appeal of Hollywood glamour but if she has to put celebrities on the cover, at least could she choose some who are related to the fashion world. Nicole Kidman makes sense, Cate Blanchet makes sense, those are glamorous women who understand fashion. But Hudson? Aniston? Britney? Bullock? What on hearth?

I will just end to say I do buy Us Vogue often (maybe every two issues), but to me it's a glossy gossip/lifestyle magazine, like Tatler. And like Tatler, I mostly laugh at the pretentiousness of the fashion statements from people who obviously don't care about fashion and just read the lights articles on the socialites for distraction during my bus ride. It doesn't have any fashion credential, imo.
Vogue Paris/ Italia and W are whole different experiences.

__________________


Last edited by Harumi; 13-08-2007 at 08:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  174
V.I.P.
 
kissmesweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hong Kong/UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,939
Quote:
hello, fashion is ALL about culture
I totally agree, Joseph26. Fashion is from culture and that will never change. I always enjoy the articles in US Vogue actually. They talk about stuff that matters, however--it all relates back to culture and fashion.

__________________
don't you forget about me.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  175
V.I.P.
 
kissmesweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hong Kong/UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,939
Quote:
I have no problem with celebrities being on Vogue. But, when you are on the cover and the only reason you are famous is because you got played by your ex (Sienna Miller), that's when it gets on my nerves. So many great actresses deserved to be on that cover, most notably Meryl Streep. Has she ever been on a cover before? When you have chicks who suck at acting and style (in my opion) on the cover, then we have a problem.
I see that too. We get a bunch of actresses who are so talented, but we barely see them. I'd love see an indie actress like Chloe Sevigny or even Jennifer Morrison.

__________________
don't you forget about me.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  176
trendsetter
 
Candice89102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26 View Post
hello!!!!! it's American Vogue, USA, United States of Norteamerica, they have their own idea about fashion, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren..... that's what they like, simplicity, they don't care about a pompous gown modeled by a skinny teen with face of Alien, we have to respect their culture.
Speak for your own culture! You're not American, so how can you say what Americans would like to see in a fashion magazine? Every person in this country is different, just like in every other country, and we have different ideas of what is beautiful. To group us all together and say that we all like 'simplicity' and we 'don't care about a pompous gown' is rather insulting, and is very disrespectful of our culture.

Joseph, we all understand that you like US Vogue and that you like Anna Wintour, but you should respect the opinions of those of us who disagree.

__________________
jenniferanistonmariskahargitaydariawerbowy
┃tFS book challenge 2014┃currently reading ▶ The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls

Last edited by Candice89102; 13-08-2007 at 09:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2007
  177
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice89102 View Post
Speak for your own culture! You're not American, so how can you say what Americans would like to see in a fashion magazine? Every person in this country is different, just like in every other country, and we have different ideas of what is beautiful. To group us all together and say that we all like 'simplicity' and we 'don't care about a pompous gown' is rather insulting, and is very disrespectful of our culture.

Joseph, we all understand that you like US Vogue and that you like Anna Wintour, but you should respect the opinions of those of us who disagree.
of course there are a lot of diversity in every contry, it's just that I'm talking about MAINSTREAM, I know American* Culture 'cause I live almost in Texas, I mean, Coahuila Mexico, so I have traveled a lot to US

I know there are a lot of fashionistas in US but I was writing about MAINSTREAM people so don't feel unsulted, there's no reason, really.

------------

* Mexico is also America, North America is Canada, US and Mexico

  Reply With Quote
14-08-2007
  178
V.I.P.
 
taben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Paris
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,892
^ you know that when she said american she was refering to people from the united states of america, so stop playing with words...

And Harumi I totally agree with everything you said

  Reply With Quote
14-08-2007
  179
Fat Karl
 
dior_couture1245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi View Post
Vogue Paris/ Italia and W are whole different experiences.
W is an amazing magazine. It is the true FASHION magazine of the US. Seeing celebrities on the cover isn't so irksome on W as it is on Vogue because W is SO good a balancing celebrity with honest-to-goodness high fashion. Even when Brangelina or Britney Spears (the most obnoxious tabloid characters) are on the cover of W, we still are given superb editorials that are both conceptual and innovative and usually involving interesting and creative styling. The photography is always different and you never see the same model in every issue. And the ads are kept to a minimum, leaving us with only the best ads, instead of department store and walmart stuff.

Vogue needs to be much more like W.

__________________
"DIOR, NOT WAR!"

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 14-08-2007 at 02:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
14-08-2007
  180
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi View Post
Then maybe you will agree that Ms Wintour is more suited to edit Us Weekly rather than a fashion magazine about fashion as promoted by fashion models.....................................
nope, as far as I know the hollywood stars are the icons of the fashion & style through the years, Greta Garbo, Marlene Deitrich, Veronica Lake, Bardot, Loren .................. in the 90's the Hollywood stars were replaced by the Supermodels, Cindy, Claudia .... but those Supermodels were really Super, nowadays I doubt anyone could be interested in what an aliened teen model can say, if they can say anything 'cause the most of them don't speak english so the Hollywood Stars rule again, like in the past, like always.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.