How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-08-2007
the crying of humanity

You make a good point. In my eyes, it's just easier to blame Anna for everything instead of finding out the names of every casting director, photographer and stylist.

That was a joke, by the way!

15-08-2007
fashion elite

^Yes I know

And I agree...it IS downright lazy that Vogue US is so repetitive.

15-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
I came to conclusion (not today... but a long time ago) Vogue US is a just catalogue... a luxury catalogue... with once or twice some good works... that's it... Anna Wintour is Fashion Godess (I have a joke about fashion editors... "What's the difference btw God and Fashion Editors?? God does not think he is a Fashion Editor)... it's just to see the big It oufits and acces.
no place for imagination, creation... Grace C. tries it once or twice with Meisel... they make very good editorials... but that's it! the rest is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... and give pleasure to Fashion Labels to see their name on Vogue US' pages...
Anna Wintour does not deserve this place anymore, I think she should just consult (she's very very good for this...) and why not writes...
but she's no more into what she defines as Fashion...
I won't quote her again... but she should never say that on tv ...
I repeat "Fashion is a good mix btw art and commerce".... "Art and Commerce", not Commerce over Art...

the biggest point of this post??? the joke!
To summerize it in short;Anna Wintour is no longer just an editor-in-chief,she is a BUISNESSWOMAN!!!!!Like you said,its boring,repetitive and the fashion does not feel like the essence of the magazine anymore.She turned it into lifestyle magazine for rich and famous.I am sure many will say thats what Vogue was always about,but i beg to differ.Diana Vreeland was ALL about fashion.While Anna is all about POLITICS!The designers she features,the models and people she puts on the cover,its all soooooooooo premeditated and pretentious.None of it feels honest.Its like what Glenda recently said;"It's all about the beauty and fun of fashion. So many fashion magazines take themselves far too seriously, you shouldn't look at a fashion magazine and feel like you are studying for an exam."
I swear she was tallking about Vogue!Anyway its ironic that all of that,her savy buisness sense.etc has kept her on top for more than 20 years.She understands what sells her magazine.
And i buy it because it has great articles,photography no matter how much it lacks in orginiality.You always get the same dream like feeling opening US Vogue,and she understands that.

15-08-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice89102 View Post
The only people who think the eds in US Vogue are 'heaven' are people who don't know true fashion, but they're just reading the magaizne because of its reputation.

Like I said earlier, the only reason Anna puts celebs on the cover is so that the magazine will sell to our celebrity-crazed culture. If she wanted to please her core audience, people who truly love fashion, then she would put models on the cover. But obviously she doesn't care about her core audience, she just cares about selling copies.

I don't understand why anyone would buy US Vogue nowadays when Vogue Paris is so much more creative and innovative. US Vogue is boring, bottom line.
I agree Vogue Paris has more edge but they also put Paris Hilton on the cover......I mean...at least Anna is picky about cover subjects to an extent...

15-08-2007
V.I.P.

I think that was a daring choice on Carine's part to pick Paris...

15-08-2007
fashion insider

In my opinion, US Vogue seems to be made for a very specific audience consisting of 30 to 50 something rich ladies who have really specific, refined taste in things. Fashion and style wise, Vogue does not cater to someone like me at all, who is younger and not a millionaire. All the looks in the magazine are head to toe designer (sometimes looks are straight off the runway), which does not particularly bring inspiration for mixing and matching. Also, the designers they feature are all those sitting-on-their-laurels designers like Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Prada. I have nothing against them (in fact I love Prada) but the magazine presents a limited point of view because they don't feature ideas of younger talents like Hussein Chalayan, Jeremy Scott, etc. Anyway, maybe it does make sense for Vogue to be that way, since maybe I should be reading i-D right now and once i'm 40 I can start reading Vogue.

15-08-2007
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper View Post
In my opinion, US Vogue seems to be made for a very specific audience consisting of 30 to 50 something rich ladies who have really specific, refined taste in things.
Quote:
TOTAL AUDIENCE 10,667,000
Female 89% / Male 11%
Median Age 36.0 years
Median Household Income $58,343
Note: that's median (the middle) household income.

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 15-08-2007 at 06:15 PM.
15-08-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
TOTAL AUDIENCE 10,667,000
Female 89% / Male 11%
Median Age 36.0 years
Median Household Income $58,343 Note: that's median (the middle) household income.
Wow, I'm not American, but I don't think $58 343 is enough income to easily afford stuff featured in Vogue. I am not sure if median is the same as "average", but I definetely expected it to be higher! Thanks for the info, MissMagAddict!

15-08-2007
coffee&tv

^ Median is when you line up all the numbers and you pick the number in the middle.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollagasper View Post
Wow, I'm not American, but I don't think $58 343 is enough income to easily afford stuff featured in Vogue. I am not sure if median is the same as "average", but I definetely expected it to be higher! Thanks for the info, MissMagAddict!
I wouldn't say so. That's $2000 a paycheck, and minus bills and food that can only buy one of the accessories a week. Unless the husband pays for the bills.

15-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I agree Vogue Paris has more edge but they also put Paris Hilton on the cover...
Well, everyone makes mistakes once in a while...
I didn't say Vogue Paris was perfect, I just said it was more creative and fresh, whereas US Vogue is quite boring.

16-08-2007
scenester

it's the mid-western trying to lead the rest of the country AGAIN, right?
Darling, we're not talking about sheer distribution SIZE here, although size does matters in the eyes of the american CEO, but usually if u try to please everyone, u ended up dragging yourself down the pit, aka looking CHEAP, which is what Vogue US are like these days.........
Vogue is about leading their loyal readers at the forefront of fashion, not walking behind the readers for christ sakes. and for that Vogue Italia comes up TOP, hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26 View Post
Vogue US has always reigned supreme, it's always the magazine to see, it doesn't matter if Vogue Italia is edgy, I know that fashionistas love Vogue Italia but unfortunetly there aren't fashionistas enough as to name Vogue Italia the bible of the fashion.

16-08-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsudaseiko View Post
Darling, we're not talking about sheer distribution SIZE here, although size does matters in the eyes of the american CEO, but usually if u try to please everyone, u ended up dragging yourself down the pit, aka looking CHEAP, which is what Vogue US are like these days.........
Vogue is about leading their loyal readers at the forefront of fashion, not walking behind the readers for christ sakes. and for that Vogue Italia comes up TOP, hands down.

Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout, Willis? try again

16-08-2007
trendsetter

if i ever have to see one more editorial of caroline trentini hopping in vera wang and marni i will shoot myself.

16-08-2007
V.I.P.

^^me too

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour