How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-02-2008
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalil View Post
Anna Wintour will continue doing whatever she is doing as long as she is selling magazines, getting advertising money and has this reputation as arbiter of fashion. I don't even think she needs to sell magazines, because I believe the bulk of the income generated is from ads anyway.

As long as she shows advertisers numbers and she convinces them that these numbers are people who actually buy the clothes she features as opposed to people who just buy magazines because they like to look at artistic edits and good models but barely buy designer fashion, she will continue to be Vogue editor. And in this country, it is my opinion that those who actually buy the bulk of designer fashion regularly and in huge amounts are conservative, country club ladies who will probably be appalled at all the nudity in Vogue Italia/Paris and will probably wonder "where are the clothes in this magazine?". They are not the type of people who will take risks. They want catalogs! Question still remains: Do you guys think you buy more designer fashion than some 45 year old lady who plays golf all day at some chi-chi country club who goes to charity fund-raisers in the evening every day of the week? Will this busy lady appreciate looking at black and white edits (can't see the real color of the dress!), edits where photographers are manipulating the contrasts etc and edits where the models are in bathtub or something and all wet or posed all twisty and in a helicopter? These ladies want to see clothes as they are so they can decide right there and then if they want it. They want a catalog. I think the only creativity you can really do is make Caroline Trentini jump. At least you still see how the clothes look on her body.

Europe is just culturally different from the US. Besides, the euro is stronger and maybe designer fashion is more attainable on a regular basis to a younger, more forward thinking audience? I don't know.
And how do you explain that the 60s and 70s Vogue managed to be both great catalogs for wealthy people and masterpieces at the same time?

Like has been said many times - Lucky can sell to the masses for CondeNast, Vogue is the flagship. It should be held to a far higher artistic standard, while be relieved of some of the pandering to the masses duty.

03-02-2008
front row

60s and 70s= Age of Flower people, hippies, peace-niks, nude colonies, LSD. Different, more open and relatively liberal time and generation. What's the target circulation then as compared to now? It could have quintupled or something. How was the celebrity culture then? No internet therefore less competition and more captive audience. Apples and Oranges.

I do abhor the fact that these people are businessmen and have the generation of money as their primary goal and the education of their audience as their least priority. We live in a materialistic (could probably rival the 80s) and celebrity driven society. The way US economy is mapped out now is to have everybody buy, buy, buy. That is unfortunately the driving force in Vogue: get everybody to buy either the magazine (by featuring celebs) or buy the clothes (by featuring catalog-like edits with country club ladies as target and perpetuating the myth that Anna Wintour is the arbiter of fashion in this world). Nope, an upstart like Lucky can't do it (no machinery, no cred, young 20-30 year old target market: that is not the masses what with the US being an aging population...).

04-02-2008
V.I.P.

hire a new creative director and worked with some other photographers like Tim Walker etc.....

this is the simplest way to revamp this trash mag

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalil View Post
60s and 70s= Age of Flower people, hippies, peace-niks, nude colonies, LSD. Different, more open and relatively liberal time and generation. What's the target circulation then as compared to now? It could have quintupled or something. How was the celebrity culture then? No internet therefore less competition and more captive audience. Apples and Oranges.

I do abhor the fact that these people are businessmen and have the generation of money as their primary goal and the education of their audience as their least priority. We live in a materialistic (could probably rival the 80s) and celebrity driven society. The way US economy is mapped out now is to have everybody buy, buy, buy. That is unfortunately the driving force in Vogue: get everybody to buy either the magazine (by featuring celebs) or buy the clothes (by featuring catalog-like edits with country club ladies as target and perpetuating the myth that Anna Wintour is the arbiter of fashion in this world). Nope, an upstart like Lucky can't do it (no machinery, no cred, young 20-30 year old target market: that is not the masses what with the US being an aging population...).
Vogue was at its peak during the 60s and 70s, and early 80s. But it was also far less artistically compromising before Diana Vreeland than it is now.

Now, CondeNast doesn't have just Vogue - it also has Allure, W, Glamour, Self, TeenVogue and Lucky. Why - again - why - should Vogue have to stoop to pandering to the masses when that is the sole purpose of Glamour, Self and Lucky? Are you saying that the wealthy 40+ population buy magazines because they want to know more about Rene Zellweger? Do they feel sublimely infused with power when they open their catalog and see walmart ads?

Vogue as it is now is trying to do two things and although it might keep the magazine in good standing financially, pulling it in two equally deplorable directions eradicates its entire purpose.

04-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Why do you think she gets the ads?

She wants the $$$ Walmart pays for their ads - which they would only print in a mag lots of people buy, and at the same time she wants to retain the credibility required for having the high end ads.
American magazines actually get most of their income on the cover price and subscriptions... which is a funny thing

in other countries, such as australia, advertising is the ONLY thing that balances the bank - we dont have that high-an-amount of circulation so relying on cover price would bankrupt all of our publications.

sorry - edit: just to the last thing that you said iluvjeisa - i think its just because people think 'vogue' and that title rings to mean the best of the best. Vogue is trying to cash in on the money that middle america will spend on 'higher end' drooling, things they cant afford but like to escape to once a month. lol they are basically being greedy trying to get allure et al's advertising. also, management at conde must love the sales its getting in return so i think anna would get the sack if she pulled the title back to being quite artistic and high end. truth be told most of middle america wouldnt read it... they would then turn to glamour and allure.

Last edited by fashionistasista; 04-02-2008 at 05:58 AM.
04-02-2008
windowshopping

Just please please put more Supermodels on the cover, I love Bazaar more but Glenda needs to get this memo also.

backstage pass

I think vogue really came back in 06 but has again become boring with the editorials. They use the same models, Trentini and Raquel. And then Natalia and Doutzen. I think Natalia is a good model but they just need to oomf it up or not keep reusing the same girls. I haven't been intrigued by the eds lately. May and before was good. May and after, boring?. I love vogue regardless, though.

Last edited by L0VE; 04-02-2008 at 07:27 PM.
05-02-2008
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionistasista View Post
just to the last thing that you said iluvjeisa - i think its just because people think 'vogue' and that title rings to mean the best of the best. Vogue is trying to cash in on the money that middle america will spend on 'higher end' drooling, things they cant afford but like to escape to once a month. lol they are basically being greedy trying to get allure et al's advertising. also, management at conde must love the sales its getting in return so i think anna would get the sack if she pulled the title back to being quite artistic and high end. truth be told most of middle america wouldnt read it... they would then turn to glamour and allure.
Yes, and why would conde nast care if their sales go from one of their products to another? Perhaps the staff of Vogue wouldn't be as high up in the financial hierarchy. Well, they're not supposed to care. Glamour and Allure are supposed to sell covers on celebs and pull in the money and the flagships are supposed to use part of that money for nice editorial stories. What we are seeing is probably the result of some business restructuring. Pity they killed a century old institution in the process

05-02-2008
front row

please, please put models on their covers instead of actresses. i am getting tired of it.

Put models on the cover

Wanna see Gemma Ward and Sasha Pivovarova, Vlada, etc on the cover of US Vogue

backstage pass

Replace yourself with Carine Roitfeld.

11-02-2008
V.I.P.

Inez and Vinoodh dominance!

11-02-2008
windowshopping

Honestly, it's depressing to see TEEN VOGUE, a teenager's mag be SO SO MUCH better than Vogue. It's not even about having celebs on the cover, but the styling and clothing is so much more attractive.

12-02-2008
V.I.P.

^maybe you find the styling and clothing more attractive because of your age...

12-02-2008
front row

Quit.

V.I.P.

TEEN Vogue is an awful tacky magazine with some of the worst stylists/styling and the most pretentious and stupid articles.

Vogue US is alright in my opinion, please just stop TEEN Vogue, it's getting worse and worse IMO.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour