How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More dancing View Post
Quit.
haha...so true but won't happen

13-02-2008
windowshopping

Aesthetically, Vogue has become way too stuffy (and mostly with useless, repetitive information). I'd like to see them tone it down a little bit and focus in on quality articles and images instead of throwing in chunks/blocks of text and colored boxes.

13-02-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by More dancing View Post
Quit.
That's so true.

American Vogue is at the moment a terrible mag, it can't be improved by her.

14-02-2008
fashion elite

i don't understand why creativity and originality must suffer for the sake of business.

i know US vogue can sell well if it is more fashion focused. I know it can. US vogue just needs to take baby steps. first they need to change the style of their articles. some are extremely dull, irrelevant, or come off as flaky or fake.

also why not do a cover featuring a model and a celeb. imagine anne hathaway ( or whoever your fav celeb is) with daria w (or your fav model) on the cover together. people will buy it for the celeb and in the process will learn more about fashion.

30-03-2008
don't look down

Tonight I was going through some 'old' US Vogues from around 2004, and while back then there were (a) editorials with Caroline Trentini, and (b) articles about Roger Federer, there definitely seemed to be more editorial variety. You saw Liya, Isabeli, Karen Elson, Lily Cole, Hana, Raquel, Daria - a good mix of different sorts of faces and energies, instead of the same diet of 'white bread' that we get today with Trentini ad infinitum.

I looked back at those Trentini images in the older magazines and didn't feel one negative thing about them, because they were one part of a whole. There also seemed to be more editorials with group shots, sometimes with around six-eight girls in one image. I don't buy US Vogue too often these days, but I can't remember many of those recently, I could be wrong.

backstage pass

How about shipping it out quicker, =( no vogue yet. It's on the shelves before it gets to my house.

31-03-2008
V.I.P.

retire

31-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0VE View Post
How about shipping it out quicker, =( no vogue yet. It's on the shelves before it gets to my house.
Totally agree.

And I could write a whole manifesto but:

- Stop using celebs and start using models on the cover again! Think Vogue Italia.
- No more Trentini. As much as I like her, c'mon, she had four appearances in April's issue!
- No more jumping eds.
- Focus more on FASHION and trends. Take note from Vogue UK and Paris.

And Anna, if you're going to do a 'shape' issue, at least evenly distribute focus on all shapes. Don't devote 80% of the issue for sizes less than 12. A Jill Scott spread is awesome but what's the use if you can't show women how to choose appropriate clothing that will showoff curves? Does anyone recall one insert with a "curvy" San Franciscan woman? It must have been a really good Photoshop job because that woman did not define "curvy" at all. I want to see real women with jobs that don't have to do with the industry, that don't make 100K+ each year, that have children to come home to instead of wild parties at the Met, and who isn't afraid to mix cheap chic with luxury. The women generally featured in Vogue are socialites. Yes, I would LOVE to be a socialite myself, but a majority of women readers are not socialites. They come to the magazine for fashion inspiration from the latest runway shows and indulge in the fantasy of editorials by fresh faced models, not for articles on how women should hightail to NYC to receive the latest Botox treatment.

Phew.

Last edited by chanels; 31-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.
31-03-2008
backstage pass

^ Speaking of. I had deja vu, didn't they have the same type of idea for a shape thread LAST YEAR? Since when do they do the same topic twice? I love Vogue though but I didn't get the 2 x's in a row topic choice.

31-03-2008
backstage pass

A 'Shape' issue last year? I don't recall since I've just started my subscription last May (it was cheap. And I figured I might as well order it for the 'Next Supermodels' cover ) but again, Vogue being repetitive. Not surprising

01-04-2008
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
Tonight I was going through some 'old' US Vogues from around 2004 ... you saw Liya, Isabeli, Karen Elson, Lily Cole, Hana, Raquel, Daria - a good mix of different sorts of faces and energies, instead of the same diet of 'white bread' that we get today with Trentini ad infinitum.
And then last night, I went through the March 2008 issue, and saw that lots of those names were in that issue, and my complaint then evolved into "should be still be seeing the same ranges of faces in US Vogue four years after they were already dominating it". And then I laughed.

You know, I don't think there's any way to be truly happy with US Vogue. It has some secret factor that forever provokes discontent in its readers.

front row

To revamp Vogue America or "Vague" as i call it i would say

1) Bring more edgy fashion editorials more couture!!!! look at Paris its just so amazing over there we are all globalized now, let the rest of the world want to buy Vogue America in the same way americans want all the international versions. Make it seem more exclusive!

2) Vogue = Fashion magazine not hello! or the national enquirer and not celebrities leave them well alone they make the US look cheesy imo they dont belong on vogue maybe once in a while but not all the time. Add as the french say "je ne sais quoi" some mystery you know, i love Sienna but why was she on the cover in september?....

3) More Asian & Black models they make up a good percentage of the country. Im bored of trentini and every other hollywood blonde..

4) I dont think there is anything wrong with american "fashion" now, I used to be very eurocentric but look at how everyone is flocking to New York in the past year or two like Lagerfeld. Represent some of that New York Chic for america!

5) write it in french and then change your name to Carine!

on a serious note, Anna my dear take some risks! i flicked through the other day and it looked really... prudish.

01-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSH View Post
5) write it in french and then change your name to Carine!

01-04-2008
DÔMMkammern

I jsut cant understand why everyone's complaint is that Vogue USA should look like Vogue Paris... why would you want something TWICE! unless what is being asked is a translated-to-english version of Vogue Paris... which is a totally different matter.

vogue us and vogue paris are not the same magazine. they dont address to the same target group. they are not supposed to look the same...

that tFSers in general (me too) don't like Anna's Vogue, doesnt mean she should retire and the american book should change at all...
if you asked a Red Sox fan, he'd probably tell you he doesnt give a sh*t about economics... and that doesnt mean that the Financial Times should therefor turn into a Sports Magazine.
Fashion is an even bigger territory... and there's not just ONE fashion that is controversial, sexy, modern, etc. like Carine's publications. There's also the more conservative side, restrained, always beautiful, consistent side like Anna's, and even more, and more!

(in spite of all the criticism... it's still the most profitable magazine in the world... not only fashion-wise...)

V.I.P.

Less text on the cover?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour