How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-06-2006
backstage pass

^ Here here!

13-06-2006
front row

The thing I miss most about how Vogue used to seem to me was that they knew something I didn't. Vogue used to be the BIBLE of fashion rags. Now, American Vogue seems like more of a contemporary culture magazine with nice fashion shoots in the rear of the magazine. I want articles that give me the low down on industry secrets - the nooks and crannies of how fashion actually happens. Tell me about WHY couture is so fabulous - follow JP Gaultier for a few days instead of Kiera Knightly. I could go on and on about this. There are so many "reports" on general things. Like the accessory report and the beauty report etc. I want more mysteries revealed than the dangers of the newest cosmetic surgery practice. I can find that in Cosmo.

I'm also the trizillionth person to voice the desire to see more models on covers and a glossier, larger publication.

14-06-2006
tfs star

Someone posted that there are no fashion-related articles. Every issue has a segment featuring several designers-- both newcomers and established--a fashion round-up, and at least one article on trends.

Quote:
Tell me about WHY couture is so fabulous - follow JP Gaultier for a few days instead of Kiera Knightly.
Vogue features profiles of designers in EVERY issue and tells why fashion is fabulous through the pictures and talking with people both in and out of the industry who love fashion. Everyone from the makeup artists to the designers are profiled. An article a few months ago actually broke down why couture is so expensive.

I'm sorry but the failure to put models on the cover is such a trivial issue.

14-06-2006
trendsetter

The amount of ads. If you tore out every double sided ad in Vogue, you could practically create a whole nother magazine

15-06-2006
one two three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant Garde
The amount of ads. If you tore out every double sided ad in Vogue, you could practically create a whole nother magazine
So true. What's worse is that half of the ads are for weight-loss supplements, walmart, payless, etc. From a buisness standpoint this makes sense considering a large portion of their market is middle-class U.S. women who aren't likely to be purchasing anything from the new Prada collection anytime soon. However, this accessibility isolates those interested in the true fashion-aspects of the magazine. Sure, they're making more money, but in the long run I don't think it'll help the reputation of Vogue as being a "fashion-bible".

On another note...the cover text doesn't match! Sans-serif text and a serif title. It bugs me every time, but I maybe that's just since I spent the last year doing layout for a magazine and I notice little things like that

15-06-2006
fashion insider

I find the magazine to be far too disjointed. It jumps around and has no coherence, plus I find they try and do too many 'filler' articles. You know little bits and bobs shoved inbetween the ads and shameless promotions. I also agree with the comments about the paper-type and the clutter on the front with the text. I also think that Vogue has lost its edge over other magazines, it doesn't try anymore, I think perhaps Wintour is complacent about the fact that it is a market leader and so the cutting edge aspect has gone. I'd like them to really try and do different things and do proper in depth articles...

15-06-2006
trendsetter

the portfolio of photographers who shoot for US Vogue is too limited. YOu see the same type of editorials and i have come to expect a certain type of edit from each of the photographers. They need to have some variety and rotate the photographers around like British Vogue. each of their editorials looks so different.
How long is Anna gonna be the editor of US vogue?

fashion insider

They should get TFS members to shoot and write editorials XD

16-06-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticglamour
So true. What's worse is that half of the ads are for weight-loss supplements, walmart, payless, etc. From a buisness standpoint this makes sense considering a large portion of their market is middle-class U.S. women who aren't likely to be purchasing anything from the new Prada collection anytime soon. However, this accessibility isolates those interested in the true fashion-aspects of the magazine. Sure, they're making more money, but in the long run I don't think it'll help the reputation of Vogue as being a "fashion-bible".
I agree with this. The more ads anna puts in a Vogue, the less I want to buy it. I wouldn't mind the occasional ad, but the whole magazine is 40% of ads. She can make money now, but more readers are just going to be turned off in the future.

16-06-2006
backstage pass

i wouldn't mind the celebrity covers THAT much as long as there was some actual-decent content. i've once emailed vogue asking why there hadn't been models on their cover and i got a response saying that celebrity covers sold more.

don't you think the magazine would sell more if it had some CONTENT? we see the same editorials OVER and OVER, caroline trentini has been on vogue for months, too much of gemma, too much of models we see everywhere.

vogue us lost its edge, it's boring and too safe.

i only buy it for the ads, but in the january edition even the ads sucked

backstage pass

#84, I agree whole-heartedly. I do like the fashion ads but Walmart, Payless and all that get on my nerves.

front row

the american vogue needs to improve...

ive been hating the covers lately. its all celebs... so boring. all the mags seem the same. i dont find myself even reading the stories. basically what i do with the mag is rip the pages off from ads and some editorials although they are practically the same. i hate the dull, blank background of the editorials......

i love fashion ads... but lately this mag has been pissing me off due to "not-so-fashionable' ads like walmart, payless, weight-loss supplements, botox, and yada yada......

just seeing a celeb in the cover makes the magazine look boring..... everytime i receive the mag in my mailbox (since i subscribe to it) i get so disappointed...

btw i love vogue italia... but its pretty hard to find it and its expensive~ but i think its worth it at least..

Last edited by tuttyfruit; 19-06-2006 at 09:27 PM.
20-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelucrezia
- no more constant articles on plastic surgery, botox and liposuction
It repulses me the amount of crap US Vogue feeds its monthly subscriber. It's bad enough having the botox ads in there and the perfectly air brushed models but the 3 page long articles glorifying certain doctors and unneccessary surgeries is so manipulative and very negative to its readers. Anyways here's what I think would improve it.

-Models on covers and if we must have celebrities then make the articles interesting and objective not pages of unending flattery.

-More fashion just a couple editorials to me is not filling for a whole month. I'm bound to cheat and look elsewhere.

-articles that aren't pretentious and aimed towards weathly aristrocrats. Because lets face it none of us are. The audience it's catering towards is almost non-existent. I suppose it's what makes Vogue; Vogue, but then wtf is with the celebrities on the covers? That is not Vogue!

-No more Mario Testino & Irving Penn shoots. I'm so god damn sick of those two and their monopoly in Vogue.

I could go on forever but I'll stop now. Lastly though I don't agree with the more sexuality part. It's a fashion magazine not a playboy. The sexy ads and long legged models are enough for me.

Last edited by style_savy; 20-06-2006 at 02:32 AM.
11-08-2007
V.I.P.

I want a Vogue US cover with Valentina, Anja & Raquel

tfs star

I'd rather see Hilary, Cindy & Amber... seems like a strange combination but just American models- that's who I'd like to see on the cover of American Vogue- big American models... not Russians or Brazilians.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour