How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanAvril View Post

Do you honestly believe that the majority of Americans out there cares about an American model, or any model for that matter, being on the cover? Maybe in the 90's, but now celebs ultimately rule US Vogue.
what a xenophobic commentary. a model has to be good, no matter if she is brazilian, russian or even american ( not many american models in the top, right?)

11-08-2007
lay lady lay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmrnt5 View Post
that's who I'd like to see on the cover of American Vogue- big American models... not Russians or Brazilians.
Umm that's just plain stupid...if you mean Brasilian as in Gisele she is one of the few models that sell today...and if you mean Russian as in Natalia she is bigger then most of the US "it" girls right now. And I agree with Pedro...if you were to think that way would Italian models just be on the cover of Italian Vogue? And would German Vogue just feature German models?

And I guess I just want to see the cover already...but judging from the pap photos I don't think I'll be to pleased.

Last edited by Ferdinanda; 11-08-2007 at 11:14 PM.
11-08-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionyork View Post
what a xenophobic commentary. a model has to be good, no matter if she is brazilian, russian or even american ( not many american models in the top, right?)
And what, may I ask, was xenophobic about my comment?

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
And what, may I ask, was xenophobic about my comment?
I believe fashionyork may have actually meant to quote the quote that you were quoting (i.e. Joseph26's comment)

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
12-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:

Do you honestly believe that the majority of Americans out there cares about an American model, or any model for that matter, being on the cover? Maybe in the 90's, but now celebs ultimately rule US Vogue.
yeah, but is it really the average american woman who's reading Vogue? i do believe that it's readers are all well-educated (above average) and sophisticated, and not only usweekly or people reading women, or am i wrong? vogue doesn't need celebrities on its covers!! it's readers are too sophisticated for that! we want fashion - we want models!!!

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

is Ana loves Carol T so much, she could make her a cover girl...

there is no fear

^hell yeah!

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

I would like to see a cover with Carol T and Hilary, they look gorgeous together.

tfs star

^ I'd settle for that- & about that German Vogue using German models comment, I know what I said sounded rude but American Vogue NEVER uses models & I think if it were to do so it should be a top American model as opposed to some European model that wouldn't be relate-able to American girls reading Vogue. I really doubt the majority of people reading US Vogue care about Natalia Vodianova or Caroline Trentini. Whereas, they might care about Hilary Rhoda or Amber Valletta.

12-08-2007
tfs star

As an American I agree with the sentiment that an American model should grace the cover. Anna is british and I feel at times she is trying to force her british counterparts like Sienna Miller down our throats. Sienna's biggest claim to fame to date has been dating and being cheated on by Jude Law. There is absolutely no reason she should be gracing the most important cover of the year for American Vogue over actress like Natalie Portman or even Claire Danes, both of who have movies coming out and are more noted and respected in the U.S.

I'm also tired of Brazilian models most of whom are European in descent and reflect no more cultural diversity than their Slavic counterparts. The whole industry needs a shakeup.

Last edited by Madhuri; 12-08-2007 at 12:04 PM.
12-08-2007
trendsetter

I agree that celebrities on the cover sell better than models when it comes down to it, but isn't Vogue supposed to be for fashion lovers? I'd say that most fashion lovers would rather see a model on the cover. So in the interest of selling to their core audience, celebs aren't the way to go.
However, I do love the W cover with Gwyneth, so there's my exception.

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPedro View Post
I would like to see a cover with Carol T and Hilary, they look gorgeous together.
That would be amazing

12-08-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
I'm also tired of Brazilian models most of whom are European in descent and reflect no more cultural diversity than their Slavic counterparts. The whole industry needs a shakeup.
Absolutely. I feel like we're going backwards in regards to media diversity, especially in fashion. Didn't there used to be more top black models, in the late eighties and early nineties? Now we only have Chanel Iman, who's more or less replaced Liya Kebede, as US Vogue's go-to, token black girl. And I'm inclined to think that her appearances in US Vogue stem from Anna's obsession with thinness more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
Vogue won. Because no matter how much smack you guys talk on tFs, we all know you, like me, are going to buy it the moment you see it on the shelf at Walmart, Barnes and Noble or wherever. Heck, you might even skip lunch or be a few bucks short on a necessity so you can buy it.
Not me! The last magazine I bought was the Vanity Fair guest-edited by Bono. US Vogue is down the drain, I won't buy it until it looks as good as Vogue Paris or Vogue Italia, or at least when it starts being not-lame.

12-08-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmrnt5 View Post
I really doubt the majority of people reading US Vogue care about Natalia Vodianova or Caroline Trentini. Whereas, they might care about Hilary Rhoda or Amber Valletta.
exactly, it's all about identification,stories of girls from Rio de Janeiro and Belorussia could not be interesting for US readers 'cause there's no the identification factor, but if a girl is from Texas, Illinois, California then it's different!

I'm from Mexico so when I see a story about certain mexican personality it calls my attention by default, I'm feeling curious to know how, why, when .. but if that same person were from other country I could be not interested.

I'm not saying that all the models in US Vogue should be from US, it's just that I feel that an American model should lead the group just like Cindy C did it in the 90's.

A lot of the big US Vogue cover girls (models) are from US, Lauren Hutton, Brooke S, Cindy, Amber V, Carolyn Murphy ....

Last edited by Joseph26; 12-08-2007 at 04:06 PM.
12-08-2007
fashion insider

.. and the personality has a lot to do too, It's not easy for a country to get so many personalities from other countries, I personally don't get the personality of the brazilian models, they are always happy, jumping and like out of control, all of them are like clones of Gisele. I wonder if they cry or feel sad in any moment

Gisele is ok, she was the first one, but 10000 Giseles is like too much

there's nothing like diversity, one model from Brazil, another from US, Canada, Russia, Spain, China, Japan ..... different faces, different bodies, differetn personalities.

Last edited by Joseph26; 12-08-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
anna, improve, revamp, vogue, wintour