How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2012
Mr. Magic

Time Style & Design Spring 2012 : Emily Blunt by Peter Hapak
Quote:
BACK IN STYLE: After a long hibernation, Time Style & Design has returned. The fashion spin-off of Time magazine stopped publishing in September 2009, when advertising was hard to come by, but publisher Kim Kelleher said the title is ready for a comeback. “I wasn’t here when they published the first time but I know we’ve had such a positive reception in the short amount of time we had to sell this,” Kelleher claimed. She’s signed on new advertisers to the Time brand franchise, such as Harry Winston, Zappos, Maybelline and Bulgari. The issue closed with 25 ad pages.

There will be a page devoted to the issue on Time.com. Time Style & Design is planned to come out twice a year, with the next issue due in September.

Three years ago, the magazine’s rate base was 550,000 and it appeared on newsstands. This time, it will be received by 500,000 Time subscribers that, judging by the content, are quite affluent. The phrase “price upon request” is used several times in the fashion credits.

When Time Style & Design was edited by Kate Betts, the magazine focused on the business of fashion. Now, under Time managing editor Rick Stengel, it features a wider variety of stories, including a piece about artist Nick Cave, a profile of Christian Louboutin, a look at the contemporary arts scene in Turkey and a story about identical-twin opera directors Christopher and David Alden. “These are topics we would write about in the regular Time,” said Stengel. “This is not purely about fashion. It’s not a magazine that exists in order to mark trends and be trendy. It has to have a lasting value.”

A close-up shot of actress Emily Blunt, wearing a black hat and bright pink lipstick, appears on the magazine’s cover. Stengel said they had several good cover options but in the end, decided the first issue should feature a fashionable woman. “I thought she was great in ‘The Devil Wears Prada,’ and you know, she’s not hard to look at.” -WWD

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

15-03-2012
®

OMG i'm excited! i was looking forward to its return as i always loved the content.

V.I.P.

Don't appreciate this redesign, and wow does he sound clueless! Kate will be hard to replace in my eyes, loved her magazine.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

I love the idea of this cover, but I just wish her facial expression had a little more power behind it.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ Indeed. Her eyes are bothering me.

I find it curious that the Balenciaga visor is only credited as a 'black hat' in the WWD piece.

15-03-2012
backstage pass

I think that this is a truly striking cover picture. Balenciaga visor, pink lips, piercing eyes - Emily looks perfect. I like that there's so little text, it looks really minimalistic and pure. However, the description is rather odd.
“I thought she was great in ‘The Devil Wears Prada,’ and you know, she’s not hard to look at.”
Really?

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

^ Yes! That part really bugged me, like something someone who has no idea who she is beyond that movie might say, and she truly does look dead on this cover!

15-03-2012
Mr. Zhivago

I love these Balenciaga hats in shoots. The street style darlings look like utter boobs in them though.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

it's really great to see they brought the supplement back, but I'm a bit disappointed that fashion (or rather the business side of fashion) hasn't remained their focal point, Kate's issues were always so interesting to read.....

when will subscribers get this?

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

beautiful

Mr. Magic

The cover is photographed by Peter Hapak.
Quote:
Whether we're talking about a beautiful car or chair or phone or dress, style is part of its essence. Form does follow function. The design of any object is a vital part of what it is and why we care about it.

TIME has always been interested in style and design. Indeed, the magazine you're holding is designed to reflect the importance of style. We invented the newsmagazine, which was a design for a new way to explain the world and bring it to our readers. In the newly relaunched TIME Style & Design, which evolved from the same DNA as Time, we go beyond fashion to look at advances in art and architecture, interior and automotive design, food and drink and more. In these pages, you can tour Lima with the Peruvian chef who is conquering the world, sprint through London's exciting architectural landscape, peek inside artist Nick Cave's Soundsuits ("wearable sculptures" that marry art and fashion) and even figure out which model of high-end headphones to take on your next long-haul flight. The idea behind these stories — and the whole issue — is that every piece will appeal not just to style mavens but also to regular readers of TIME.

Style is about vision, but it is also about choices. In addition to capturing the vision of style innovators, this issue explores the choices we all make — not only what we buy but also how we live our lives. And it offers our writers and editors the chance to use a different side of their creativity. So William Lee Adams — who has written for TIME about everything from Iceland's economic meltdown to the spread of HIV in Romania — headed to Paris to visit the atelier of Christian Louboutin. Curious Capitalist columnist Rana Foroohar, who usually covers macroeconomic issues, traveled to Istanbul to report on the city's thriving contemporary-art scene, which provides a lens for examining economic, social and political trends in Turkey.

This issue was superbly curated by senior editor Jessica Winter, who is also responsible for Time's weekly culture coverage. Its exquisite design is by senior art director Emily Crawford, who thought about every square millimeter of space in the magazine. Contract photographer Peter Hapak, who took portraits of activists around the world for our most recent Person of the Year issue, shot the striking Emily Blunt cover. Senior photo editor Natalie Matutschovsky commissioned and guided all the stunning images created for this issue.

We're delighted to be extending TIME's horizons with Style & Design. We hope you like what you see.
time.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

15-03-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Photographer Peter Hapak asked Emily Blunt to get into character during the cover shoot for TIME Style and Design, which relaunches this March after a three-year hiatus. It was an easy task for the British actress, who has played myriad roles—from a bossy fashion assistant to a young royal—in her career and currently stars opposite Evan McGregor and Kristin Scott Thomas in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

“I wanted to create something that didn’t feel earthy,” Hapak says. “So I asked her to imagine that she was in outer space, where she was experiencing different noises and light and trying to get along in this new space.” Hapak, who used harsh light to bring out sharp highlights and shadows on Blunt, even likes to say he was working with two different people during the sitting. “The thing about fashion is when people walk in, they look like every other person wearing normal clothes,” he says. “But when we are working on a fashion shoot, we’re creating a stylized person, a character that completely differs from the actual person.”

The cover shoot, which took place in New York City this Februrary, was a reunion of sorts for Hapak. The selection of clothing and pairing of designers such as Prada and Stella McCartney were creatively conceived by Ali Toth and Aniko Virag, stylists whom Hapak first met in Hungary nearly six years ago. In fact, it was Toth and Virag who commissioned Hapak for his first foray into fashion photography. “I was photographing dancers and experimenting with how dancers can interpret fashion in different ways,” Hapak says. “They saw one of my series and called me to collaborate.”

Among the many outfits Blunt exhibited for their latest collaboration, Hapak’s favorite piece was a black Balenciaga hat worn by the actress on the cover. “I just loved that Balenciaga hat,” Hapak says. “And this is exactly what I like about fashion. The right accessory speaks for itself—and the entire picture.”

time.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

Last edited by Meg; 20-03-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: broken image

15-03-2012
clever ain't wise

Is that the first cover for the Balenciaga hat?

15-03-2012
Mr. Zhivago

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty33r1b View Post

when will subscribers get this?
I always get Time in the mail on Friday. Perhaps it will come with regular Time tomorrow?

15-03-2012
backstage pass

this cover is incredible

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, blunt, design, emily, hapak, peter, spring, style, time