How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2012
tfs star

They should have just put Anja on the cover since her feature is so boldly presented. Scarlett could have been used as a filler for a May or June cover.

29-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
They should have just put Anja on the cover since her feature is so boldly presented. Scarlett could have been used as a filler for a May or June cover.
Pfffft! Lorraine Candy, put a MODEL that isn't RHW on the cover!? That'd be a true sight to behold! haha!

backstage pass

LC cant put models on the cover, i mean, she can, but they wont sell.
A magazine like Elle is a business. It has to make money.
Anja Rubik isn't going to sell copies to people who are buying Elle in Tesco or Whsmiths. They need A-list names. OR mainstream people (Jessie-J?)
I've noticed its becoming more mainstream which must be to sell more copies.
It's a shame as they did some really great stuff in the past, but being super cool and quirky and 'in' with the small number of people within the industry won't sell lots of copies. Most womens magazines sales are on the decline.

I'm interested to see what Sykes does with it.
Her US Marie Claire borrowed heavily from her Grazia launch. Will they be using new photographers? Ive notcied David Slijper is working for Harpers UK now.

30-12-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmycolin View Post
Pfffft! Lorraine Candy, put a MODEL that isn't RHW on the cover!? That'd be a true sight to behold! haha!
Was that a sly dig at Rosie...I'd take Rosie over Scarlet any day of the week. If i have to watch that god awful perfume advert with her monotone voice declaring that she "loves her lips for kissing" one for time I may just lose it.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

My subscription hasn't arrived with the mail, I was after some fresh reading material for over New Year's. I remembered the Runway Edit comes with the February and August issues too, so I look forward to that.

Those new shots of Scarlett are horrendous. I like the form of the first image but her face looks awkward. She looks washed-out in the second shot. How the heck do these get approved?

V.I.P.

^ Seriously its just shocking that those shots would be approved for print, i dont get it. We know she can photograph beautifully, i just feel they rarely know what to do with celebs, and how to use their better side.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Sometimes I think they have a slight bit of Katie Grand syndrome. Thinking they're doing something 'edgy' when really it's just rather unattractive.

31-12-2012
trendsetter

I like how awkward it is. Scarlett is one of MANY Celebs that are just stuck in an editorial rutt, always the bombshell, the heroine or the victim....Its always glitse and glamorous.

This is just pretty and cute, but not in a "Look how beautiful I am" kind of way....

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

The staff at Elle just don't know which photographers to hire. They need a major push in the right direction. I have never been fond of Rankin's work, even when working with the likes of Kate Moss. Enrique Badulescu, Thomas Schenk both just need to go. I think Anne-Marie Curtis' talents are a bit of a bore too. I know Elle doesn't have the funds to hire the more established photographers. But there is others out there.. who would bring something more relevant, fashionable and exciting to the magazine. Anja Rubik, no doubt, has been shot by one of the photographers I'm criticizing, but Anja has the ability to transform an image. When the regular photographers do shoots issue after issue, they're with models who I haven't seen before and fetch nothing. They make me laugh with the models they choose. The model issue from October 2011 was a joke. Agyness and Joan had never been featured before. What sense does that make? They're both irrelevant to the magazine. And no sight of them after the issue, either. Most members would argue that less-established personalities need exposure, but I wouldn't have it, when the magazine has went downhill this much. 2008 will forever be British Elle's golden period.

After reading the tweet from Lorraine Candy in the Cover Rumor Thread, I look forward to the overhaul this magazine is slated to have, come the March issue. Although the word redesign is overused nowadays and when it comes to March, I bet there isn't a vast difference (which is what needs to be done). I'm still astonished over that fact no editors noticed Kylie Minogue's missing leg on the January cover. Where's the editing and proof-looking, there?

fashion icon

Stunning cover. S looks great. I'd love to Anja gracing at least a reprint cover.

31-12-2012
front row

^^vogue28, I completely agree with you. I feel that the photographers they hire aren't up to par with what they should be producing, and even though that's a budget issue, they don't realise that they need to take risks. Anne Marie Curtis' work is nothing inspired, and I actually feel they need some fresh blood. Had Kate Lanphear jumped shipped to ELLE UK, I think everyone would have had a party because she'd bring true vision to the pages and covers.

I just think that Candy's editorship has been slightly poisonous for the magazine and its sales. She's producing these mediocre issues (the Model Issue (laughable), the David Beckham cover (cheap pandering to his fans and gays), Edited By The Interns (a farce)) and even more mediocre covers with irrelevant cover stars (Jessie J? A year too late. Rosie Huntington Whiteley? Boring. (A not so sly dig this time, Bobby153! :-P)), and nobody is caring/buying/etc.

In regards to the revamp/redesign, all I know is that the March issue is where Sykes' creative direction comes in to play completely - Jan and Feb were just easing it in. I think Hearst need to consider bringing Jennifer Dickinson back in to take over - she was responsible for the issues and covers in early 2012 (Gaga, Dakota and Isabeli, the Olsens) which were really, really good. Candy just seems a bit out of touch.

don't look down

The pages have too much white space and not enough passion. Design is nice, but it cannot compensate for the lack of an editor who lives for their vision and who can communicate that vital level of involvement throughout the magazine.

V.I.P.

There's a few previews on Elle's website and a behind-the-scenes video to accompany Scarlett's edit. She looked so natural and un-awkward on set. It makes me wonder what the heck occurred post-production? I like the caramel coloured jacket on her, I love the look of how the shots turned out too.

My subscription still hasn't arrived and it's on-sale tomorrow.

V.I.P.

Preview of Anja

And a second editorial

Elle.co.uk

Last edited by honeycombchild; 03-01-2013 at 03:28 AM.
03-01-2013
backstage pass

Anyone got theirs yet?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, elle, february, johansson, rankin, scarlett, uk