How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-12-2008
less is more

^I was more talking about her appeal (or perhaps lack there of) to the general fashion magazine buying public. She is quite a polarising figure and I think that therefore the choice of her as cover star by elle is quite a bold decision.

I do think she had a great and unique style during the 90s, which they are trying to evoke with the styling here, but nowdays I think she is a bit of a slave to fashion trends. She just wears whatever is "hot" and in fashion. Speaking of which, remember when she wore the fake black and white Chanel dress by accident and was horrified. She stated in a mag that she would have done anything to make it up to Karl. Quite tragic imo. Courtney Love of the 90s would be horrified at what a follower the Courtney of today is.

What I love/loved most about her was her uniqueness and the fact that she didn't give a **** what any thought. I think that it's sad how she has become more desperate for approval by the establishment, although I don't deny she always seeked it to some extent throughout her career.

Last edited by rox_yr_sox; 01-12-2008 at 05:39 AM.

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

Did Hedi Slimane shoot the cover?

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

Love the pics, I think they did a really good job of being high fashion while still capturing her stlye, love the pic with the little hat.

01-12-2008
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Did Hedi Slimane shoot the cover?
Jan Welters shot it.

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

I love the cover and the ed. Elle UK is so much better these days

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

thank you lucy92
no subscription for me in the mail. again.

V.I.P.

Fantastic cover, and the shots are good aswell, thanks for posting.

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

I think I'm going to get this, it's something different from UK Elle, even though their re-design was good, it's still kinda boring and I like this slight move.

01-12-2008
fashion insider

She looks great, thanks for the pics.

Is one of the few times I can relate a cover subject with the "personal style" headline.

can't wait to read this!!!

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

So true, ADC!

One more pic.

www.sugar-coma.com

Last edited by LetThemEatCake; 01-12-2008 at 02:02 PM.
01-12-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
^I was more talking about her appeal (or perhaps lack there of) to the general fashion magazine buying public. She is quite a polarising figure and I think that therefore the choice of her as cover star by elle is quite a bold decision.

I do think she had a great and unique style during the 90s, which they are trying to evoke with the styling here, but nowdays I think she is a bit of a slave to fashion trends. She just wears whatever is "hot" and in fashion. Speaking of which, remember when she wore the fake black and white Chanel dress by accident and was horrified. She stated in a mag that she would have done anything to make it up to Karl. Quite tragic imo. Courtney Love of the 90s would be horrified at what a follower the Courtney of today is.

What I love/loved most about her was her uniqueness and the fact that she didn't give a **** what any thought. I think that it's sad how she has become more desperate for approval by the establishment, although I don't deny she always seeked it to some extent throughout her career.
I do agree and see your points are accurate about the similarities between the Courtney of the 90s and the Courtney of today. However, as you admit, she was always seeking some approval, more fame, more money, more clothes, more publicity. That hasnt changed for her. She's still 'hungry' for the spotlight, and something about her is fascinating most likely to these fashion journalists and editors-in-chiefs because, like ADC pointed out, she defines a time in fashion and so it's like putting (I hate to compare female artists) Marianne Faithfull or Patti Smith on the cover. Courtney's now 44, and she probably is so hopeful to keep ahold onto the little interest there is of her that she doesnt care if she's a conformist. Knowing her pretty well for the year of 2007 (and a bit of this one) I saw a fragile, insecure, at times desperate woman, but she's also a survivor. Anyway, there's my little 2 cents.

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

the pictures are really good
thanks for the latest one

V.I.P.

You're welcome. Here's a little excerpt of the article.

Quote:
Courtney has revealed that she once considered having a gastric band fitted. The outspoken 44-year-old says she once visited a doctor about having the procedure but he refused to let her go ahead with it.
Quote:

The star, who was once married to Nirvana rocker Kurt Cobain, made the shock admission in the January issue of Elle magazine.

She said: "Baby, if I could get a gastric band I would! I've heard it's a lot of vomiting and a pain in the ***, but it's still easier than a diet. I did go to see a Hollywood doctor about it. I wasn't desperate, I just knew I had to do something. He said no. I might have been fat, but I wasn't that fat. I tried lipo on my stomach after that. It was horrible and it didn't work."

During the revealing interview, Love also talks about family life, fashion and how she and Russell Brand are just good friends. She said: "Look, I swear that Russell Brand and me are just really good friends. I don't want to have sex with him. I actually have a very satisfactory sexual life, thank you very much."

Love also revealed that her 16-year-old daughter Frances Bean, fathered by Cobain before he shot himself in 1994, knows about her drug habit when she was pregnant with her. Love said: "My daughter knows I did drugs in my first trimester of pregnancy. She weighed 7lb 6oz when she was born and she was healthy. We were excellent parents and I say that despite pretty much always having an edge on. Frances bonded very well with her father, at least in the first year and a half of her life."

She also admits that in 2004 she wore a $32 dress to the Grammys in defiance after her friend and designer Donatella Versace wouldn't lend her a dress.

The full interview with Courtney, who releases her new album Nobody's Daughter early next year, appears in the January issue of Elle, on sale now.

dailymail.co.uk

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

thanks for the article.
But the issue clearly is not on sale now

don't look down

Yep, no sign yet - I ended up buying the December issue, after looking for this new one in the store today. And Gossiping was right - the post seems to be on a go-slow, an amazon order I made 10 days ago arrived this morning.

In contrast, I still can't get over how early UK Vogue was this month; the Jan issue arriving before it was even December on the calendar.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, courtney, elle, jan, january, love, uk, welters