UK Vogue April 2018 : Gugu Mbatha-Raw by Mikael Jansson - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
Great choice and a pretty cover; I haven't watched any of her films but she was great in 'Touch' with Kiefer Sutherland a few years back.
Check out the Black Mirror episode San Junipero, it is such a beautiful showacse for Gugu, and all around wonderful. (Or the movie Belle where she is the lead, and carries that film.)

Someone like Thandie Newton never got the cover, because Shulman wasn't supportive of talented WOC, at all. So this does signal a nice, welcome, change for UK Vogue. I do agree that the layout looks very 80s, and dated, but her stunning face saves it.

The content hopefully will be less predictable....

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Now this is more like it! Hopefully this means Thandie has a good shot of getting one when promoting the second season of Westworld.

05-03-2018
tfs star

SUCH a gorgeous cover. She looks so beautiful and her expression is perfect. Also I loved her in Belle!

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

We're certainly in a new era. It's been some time since I've seen so much colour and intensity on a British Vogue cover, and that include Edward's. Will get it even if I never much cared for the actress. I do think he need to start thinking of ways of putting his unique stamp on these covers. Because so far it looks like he's merely adding a layer of gloss on an image Alexandra would've ran.

Gugu isn't exactly a 'break out' star. She's been in the industry for a few years now. I mean, this may be her first British cover, but she's got a US Elle already. And don't scream at me, but Naomie should've gotten hers first. She's so underrated, yet stylish and graceful!

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Stunning!

MON
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Because so far it looks like he's merely adding a layer of gloss on an image Alexandra would've ran.
It really feels like Alexandra is still the EIC, but she ditched Lucinda for a better stylist. Thats not good imo.

05-03-2018
backstage pass

Naomie Harris is probably on the phone to her PR right now, sacking them!

05-03-2018
backstage pass

I'm not familiar with her work but wow what a pretty cover! She is really beautiful

05-03-2018
rising star

I'm only buying this for 'The New Era of Louis Vuitton'. I don't like the cover.

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
Stunning stunning cover shot. It feels like a Mert and Marcus cover shot, but alas, its Jansson.

The layout is still hideous and amateur. The fact that someone gets paid for that baffles me to this day. #FactsMatter(...)
The layout is indeed fan made lol its so cheap and child-like. Im as baffled as you are to think people are paid to produce such a bad cheapppp looking layouts!!! Havent they learnt anything at Photoshop editing classes???

As for the image itself, its as forgettable as what British Vogue has been doing in the last 10 years, not interesting, dated and boring. Edward is doing the same formula as Alexandra did, he is just being more inclusive but being an editor is not just to show up, bring a few models of colors and call it a day like... duh! NEXT!

Last edited by Bertrando3; 05-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.
05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Love it! Finally she's getting her due, such a gorgeous and talented(underrated) actress

They really need a new art director tho...

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

The font is soo terrible...Who is the art directore now?

don't look down

One step forward with the cover choice, two steps back with the actual design.

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

Naomie has the cover in her future for sure, so there is no need to put this down because she didn't get it first. Gugu is just as wonderful a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
It really feels like Alexandra is still the EIC, but she ditched Lucinda for a better stylist. Thats not good imo.
Covers, or the actual mag as well? If its the latter, i disagree, sure the pages look the same, but there is so much more diversity in Edward's magazine, now. And i actually even think, few issues in, the written content has been good. In fact i want him to step it up with the Fashion side! I want more of Knight.etc, better art direction.etc

05-03-2018
fashion icon

I had to look her up. I literally had no idea who she was. The cover looks more like Elle than Vogue. She's very beautiful, they could have done more with her. As Anna Wintour would say "This is Vogue, lift it".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, april, gugu, jansson, mbatharaw, mikael, uk, vogue