UK Vogue April 2018 : Gugu Mbatha-Raw by Mikael Jansson - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
05-03-2018
trendsetter

who is she tho??

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

omg LOVE this cover. she is serving FACE for the gawds! so incredibly beautiful!!

love the intensity of colour. love the pose. love her expression. love that it's Gugu on the cover!

everything!

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
The layout is indeed fan made lol it´s so cheap and child-like. I´m as baffled as you are to think people are paid to produce such a bad cheapppp looking layouts!!! Haven´t they learnt anything at Photoshop editing classes???

As for the image itself, it´s as forgettable as what British Vogue has been doing in the last 10 years, not interesting, dated and boring. Edward is doing the same formula as Alexandra did, he is just being more inclusive but being an editor is not just to show up, bring a few models of colors and call it a day like... duh! NEXT!
You'd be surprised the type of people they do hire for the art director role(s) at these publications... (Going by their consistently amateurish cover layouts, I'd bet this person lacks industry skills and graphic design talent, and hired more for their partying skills.)

Oh my god this cover... it is so cheap-looking. She'e gorgeous of course. But it's so cheap-looking-- like those desktop self-publications on hair design level cheap-looking. And this is shot by Mikael?!?!? Shameful.

05-03-2018
tfs star

Beautiful woman. Yawn cover.

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

This is pathetic, terrible 'styling'.

05-03-2018
V.I.P.

I love this, happy for Gugu

06-03-2018
front row

The shot is beautiful and I'm so excited to see Gugu on the cover! It's a bit tiresome to see another grey background, they could use another colour or at least have a more interesting kind of backdrop if it's going to be a studio shot. I love the cleanliness of a plain backdrop, especially when the styling really pops against it (like the red here) but it would be good to mix it up.

This new layout is odd. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If there was a little more consideration of the placing of the coverlines it would be a whole lot better. The typeface and layout inside the magazine is really enjoyable; there's been some really lovely uses of typography and space in the last few issues, but the covers definitely need work.

backstage pass

Guru looks great but the art direction on the cover still sucks - so bare and amateur. It kind of reminds me of those template fashion magazine covers people share on Facebook using their profile photo.

Last edited by magsaddict; 06-03-2018 at 03:04 AM.
06-03-2018
fashion elite

Typical actress cover for Vogue UK. Could have been Alexandra’s.
Plus I find the cover choice extremely random. She’s far from a “breakout star”. Can’t see this selling well.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 06-03-2018 at 03:41 AM.
06-03-2018
fashion insider

Is this a TV Guide cover or Vogue?

Hell on Heels

i think she looks absolutely fantastic. I'm really loving this

06-03-2018
scenester

The hair and make-up is stunning and Gugu herself is very photogenic. But that grey background needs to go because it sucks the energy out of everything.

If only this was shot during a golden hour, even though it would require a serious rapidity, this would've been one of my contenders for cover of the year.

06-03-2018
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Typical actress cover for Vogue UK. Could have been Alexandra’s.
Really? I couldn't imagine Alexandra putting her on one of her covers!

V.I.P.

I don't know who's she, but the image is beautiful & appropiate of a Allure cover.

Is a preview of this issue with Donatella Versace, Claudia Schiffer, Yasmin Le Bon, Jourdan Dunn, Irina Shayk & Rita Ora

Last edited by burbuja8910; 07-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.
08-03-2018
Fat Karl

God. Edward’s Vogue is so bad. Like...really bad.

It’s so fan boy...he doesn’t convey any authority as an editor, to me. All of his issues so far read as the work of an avid fashion lover who happens to have his pick of the litter and is living out his own personal fantasies, instead of a real editor - who is making conscious and purposeful choices with something to say. He is not pushing himself. There is no identity here.

The Donatella editorial preview is such an embarrassingly obnoxious display of said fan-boying.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, april, gugu, jansson, mbatharaw, mikael, uk, vogue