UK Vogue April 2018 : Gugu Mbatha-Raw by Mikael Jansson - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
09-03-2018
V.I.P.

Yuck all these editorials look so dry and uninteresting. I thought one thing Edward would bring to this magazine was a fresh fashion and visual content, but so far it's been quite the opposite.

Gugu's feature is the saving grace here. She looks sensational, so glamorous

09-03-2018
fashion icon

Isnít MAS tired to style the same thing everytime, every year for every publication?
Seriously! Louis Vuitton is one of the most annoying brands in magazines. Their full look policy is exhausting!

09-03-2018
scenester

I only like Gugu's editorial and Rude Girl Rock. The others are so weak, you were convinced that Edward literally hired a mix of zombies and grumpy kids who just woke up from their short nap to act as a model.

10-03-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Isnít MAS tired to style the same thing everytime, every year for every publication?
Seriously! Louis Vuitton is one of the most annoying brands in magazines. Their full look policy is exhausting!
The only interesting thing in that collection was the embroidered jackets. The rest was awful. Marc Jacobs should have never left and I'm sure he regrets it after his IPO prospect blew up in his face.

backstage pass

Rude Girl Rock is really not my cup of tea but it makes me nostalgic for a time when this type of cinematic editorials were a fixture on magazines.

10-03-2018
don't look down

Seeing it on sale today, this doesn't look as bad on the newsstand as the stand-alone scan of the cover suggested.

It's also on sale for £2 in the Tesco I was in (Marie Claire also had a printed cover price of £2.50).

10-03-2018
front row

I don't know what makes me more happy the fact that Gugu is on the cover or that Mikael Jansson shot it. Very happy for both of them.

V.I.P.

My issue came before the weekend and everything still feels just a little too W Magazine for me. Everything from the over-hyped Donatella Versace element, Gugu's feature and Edward even fetching W's fonts with him. I'm not completely underwhelmed but dior_couture1245 hit the nail on the head for me with the term "fan boy" to describe Edward's Vogue.

I guess I should just relish in the fact that we got a set of Steven Meisel covers last month and we're more or less guaranteed another Meisel feature in the future.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
You should read the NG puff piece, quite well written actually. Or maybe not well written per se, but it offers a bit of insight into the creative transition from Balenciaga to LV.
Of course she had to style the story. That shows you just how important LV and vision is to Mas and Nicolas. It's business first for them. He even alludes that much in the article.

This issue isn't bad, but I found it very disposable. Gugu's editorial looks like a McDean story, but with bad lighting. The Coddington styling is solid, but you can just tell that it would be far more effective with US Vogue's fantasy type of treatment. I don't care for the Versace story at all! And maybe now that Adwoa's got a column they should lay off booking her for edits. It's getting as nauseating as Georgia under Alexandra. Speaking of, it's simply baffling how much the magazine still look like she's in charge. Edward may have arrived with some new fonts and a diverse cast, but the core of the magazine remains unchanged. Now this wouldn't be such a big problem if he doesn't stop with this #NewVogue nonsense.

13-03-2018
tfs star

I think it's Okay for an April issue. Gugu is undeniably gorgeous and photographs beautifully, her editorial is the highlight here.

Last edited by apple; 13-03-2018 at 04:43 PM.
13-03-2018
tfs star

Vogue Beauty Awards
Photographer: Richard Burbridge
Model: Lineisy Montero
Styling: Stella Greenspan
Hair: Diego De Silva
Make-up: Tom Pecheux

VogueUK

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, april, gugu, jansson, mbatharaw, mikael, uk, vogue