UK Vogue August 2016 : Alicia Vikander by Alasdair McLellan - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
07-07-2016
fashion elite

Im a sucker for proper summer covers. And i really like her. So it's a win for me.

07-07-2016
V.I.P.

I love love love outdoor shoots, especially during the summer. I also love Alicia, I really like her as an actress and I like seeing her get covers. I do think there were better choices for a cover in the editorial, but I'm still happy for her.
I have zero interest in other content though.

V.I.P.

"New York's Finest"
Models: Jean Campbell & Lily Stewart
Photographer: Angelo Pennetta
Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Rudi Lewis
Makeup: Maki Ryoke
Manicure: Rica Romain

visualizing.fashion

07-07-2016
V.I.P.

"Excess Baggage"
Model: Binx Walton
Photographer: Christian MacDonald
Stylist: Verity Parker
Hair: Yannick d'Is
Makeup: Lauren Parsons
Manicure: Jenny Longworth

visualizing.fashion

07-07-2016
tfs star

Alicia's editorial is gorgeous, I love this girl. The other eds I'm not a fan of.

09-07-2016
front row

It's a nice issue this month, I love the cover in person and Alicia's story inside is gorgeous.

fashion elite

It's the best issue I've seen of this magazine for ages, very very cool vibe. And Alicia's colours in real life are simply gorgeous.

10-07-2016
fashion icon

I don't like the cover at all. The dress is quite bad (I'm really hating that Vuitton collection more and more).

The editorials and even the main one are really strong. It's well styled and it's very refreshing.
It's a Lucinda Chambers-free issue? That's maybe the reason why it's so good.

10-07-2016
fashion icon

Alicia resembles a young Jade Jagger on the cover.

However, why on earth did they select shots in which her face appears to be stuck in one sourpuss expression after another? Can we see some versatility? She is an actress afterall.

Alicia's bug-eyed, lackadaisical cover expression certainly doesn't help matters.

The first two shots of the MacDonald ed had potential but would've benefited from a less cluttered backdrop with fewer extraneous props, distracting unimpactful shadows simply adding background noise.

I do love Binxs' infectious smile plus that the glowy, sculptural lighting. Strikes me as very US Bazaar, particulary that white boxy dress straight outta US HB c 2006. However, the last 3 BW shots complelety out of place. They didn't even try to integrate those shots into the rest of the editorial.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Absolutely, tiger!

I still remember my sister’s August 1989 issue of American ELLE… I was 9yo and instantly attracted to the beautiful, glowing summer color-palette of the cover: Red and orange. And the perfectly cropped image of a tomboyish and stunningly gorgeous face with a gamine’s pixie haircut starring back at me. It was Linda in Comme. The quality of the paper was this smooth satiny stock, and this effortless, light feel of summery breeze breathing from this cover felt so inducing— I had to pick it up. That was how covers captivated you then. And it was a standard. They had high standards then.

As for Alicia— her “tomboyishness" is such a perfect term to describe her look, and is exactly why I’m drawn to her. She is rather pedestrian-looking, dior— you’re right. But she also comes off just so much more genuine, so much more sincere, and at ease when you knows she’s a strong talent than someone like Jennifer Lawrence. who’s hyped with that so-called same brand of ease. And Alicia has the kind of face that had she been styled and shot like the ELLE August 1989 cover I remembered so vividly, even if she doesn’t look like Linda, I would still be drawn to her. They could have done so much more with her, it’s true… but this isn’t 1989, it’s 2016 where standards are quite… pedestrian.
Hi Phuel - not a regular commenter on the mag threads but I loved your comment, it made me fall down a late 1980s ELLE covers rabbit hole...and check out the cover you cited (it is great!). I think something that often gets people into mags is being captivated at a very young age by a specific magazine cover, enjoying the weight and glossiness of a beautiful issue - at least it was for me when I was 11,12. I wonder if kids still get that thrill from print these days. Certainly the British Vogue and ELLE covers don't seem as brave or enticing now. Love Alicia's inside editorial though, like a very pretty Margaret Howell shoot!

22-07-2016
V.I.P.

those 2 editorials are actually pretty decent!

V.I.P.

Lucinda usually ruins the eds, it's refreshing to not see her "work" in this issue

24-07-2016
V.I.P.

The second shot in Alicia's feature looks like it was destined to be a W cover! She looks great here and so perfectly captures our summer mood. Easily the best feature in this issue! I see they've tried to mould her into a model yet again, weird when magazines does that.
Angelo P had a field day ripping off Meisel, Luchford and Richardson. As if his own style wasn't dull and half-baked enough, he dared to go about the copy and pasting so shoddily here.

I'm so glad to see magazines across the board, from UK/US Vogue to Elle Canada, finally doing summer covers in August. There's normally this race for winter, which is annoying. The actual clothes may still be from autumn collections, but at least the images aligns with the season we are in.

Last edited by Benn98; 24-07-2016 at 02:37 AM.

24-07-2016
backstage pass

The cover is so weak, even though her face is pretty strong... There is something missing...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2016, alasdair, alicia, august, mclellan, uk, vikander, vogue