How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
Aside from a few minor criticisms I have with the cover, I'm ecstatic to see Kate Upton covering British Vogue.

She's a breath of fresh air and the fashion heavyweights seem to agree. Kate being called bland should be against forum rules. There are numerous high-fashion models, working today, who have nothing going for them, at all. Julia Nobis often gets a beating for her blandness, and to me, she is. Although she does fit into certain aesthetics.

It's almost like people are afraid Kate is about to steal the limelight from their model favourites and the result is snobbish, rude and immature mocking towards her. My head is shaking when I'm reading most of the comments in this thread.
I totally agree with you. I think this girl has a lot of range that we haven't seen yet. This cover is so fresh and glamorous yet demure.

She is an unconventional choice for fashion at the moment but isn't that what fashion is all about? There is no one who looks like her right now. And like everyone has been saying, Kate is lucky enough to have the general public on her side as opposed to most fashion models.

Furthermore, I can say that I see girls who look like Julia Nobis, Freja Beha, Snejana and Kati Nescher everyday. These are girls that the general public would say are not pretty and very typical, plain, bland looking and not special at all. So the concept of "Average" is based on an individual's point of reference. Holding onto the idea that models can only have square faces and low flat brow bones is so 2007 and ignorant of actual model history. This is what causes everyone to look the same and eventually causes oversaturation and failed careers.

Fashion and model trends are always moving and opening doors to new ideas and closing doors and then opening them again.

06-12-2012
front row

I think that the cover is indeed very pretty, even if im not an Upton fan. But what i really really REALLY dislike about this cover is how they have the headline, "the model who keeps it reall", like really? I want them to tell me what model doesn't keep it real. Are they trying to say that only girls with big boobs and blonde hair, the girls who have the Kate Upton type body are real? How does Kate Upton keep it "realer" than other models? its so sad that Vogue went on that "body initiative", but instead of embracing all body types, they are now basically bashing all the less "bombshell" models imo. Vogue UK REALLY should have thought twice before calling Upton a "real" girl. Cause from what i thought, and think; all women are real. And that includes all types of models as well.

06-12-2012
backstage pass

I like it. Congrats to her for doing her thing and not looking back. she has a very commercial beauty that's approachable. That's something the fashion world hasn't had since the days of Cindy Crawford & Christie Brinkley. If Kate plays her cards right and stays humble, she can have a lucrative career that's as diversified as she wants it to be.

06-12-2012
trendsetter

Uploading editorial snaps right now for you all.
It's a good issue really.

06-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Castaway
Model: Doutzen Kroes
Photographer: Josh Olins
Stylist: Clare Richardson
12 Photos

06-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
The Wow Factor
Model: Kate Upton
Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
Stylist: Francesca Burns
6 Photos

06-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
By The Book
Model: Karen Elson
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Lucinda Chambers
12 Photos

06-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Holes In One
Model: Hedvig Palm
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Francesca Burns
2 Photos

06-12-2012
V.I.P.

The cover is a million times better than her cover of Vogue Italia, but she looks weird with photoshop, but her ed is much better than the cover.

The eds are a little disspointed, the only ed than like is the Miss Upton's one.

06-12-2012
backstage pass

Castaway shoot = to die for (very Roberto Cavalli)
It makes me even more upset Doutzen did not grace this cover

All those other eds are boring (imo)
Kate is cute but she needs to learn how to be versatile ... every pic looks the same
& I am surprised how boring Karen looks in her eds ... same face in every picture

Last edited by DutchHomme; 06-12-2012 at 04:08 PM.
06-12-2012
fashion icon

Kate is a breath of fresh air. There are too many models flooding the industry right now who all have a similar look. The women who made it to supermodel status during the 90s all looked markedly different from one another and that is why they were memorable.

Honestly, how many more models can the industry handle that look exactly like this?

all pics from nymag.com

Last edited by loladonna; 06-12-2012 at 04:09 PM.
06-12-2012
fashion elite

^Kasia Struss expression is that shot sums up my opinion about that post.

06-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
Kate is a breath of fresh air. There are too many models flooding the industry right now who all have a similar look. The women who made it to supermodel status during the 90s all looked markedly different from one another and that is why they were memorable. Most of the current crop of models will be forgotten in a few years.

Honestly, many more models can the industry handle that look exactly like this?

**Please do not quote pictures**

all pics from nymag.com
Exactly my point with great visuals!

The new generation of models and model fans are already conditioned with the idea that if someone doesn't look like those pictures shown above then they should not and cannot be a model in any genre whether commercial or fashion. That idea is so so so wrong.

Last edited by ckgirlbr; 06-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
06-12-2012
V.I.P.

Kate's hair in the editorial is awful, I'm really no sure what's going on there. Looks much better on the cover than it does inside.

Doutzen's editorial is nice - it would have brought with it a great cover shot I'm sure, but then actually, with UK Vogue, who actually knows. They can ruin even the best of ideas I'm sure.

06-12-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Exactly my point with great visuals!

The new generation of models and model fans are already conditioned with the idea that if someone doesn't look like those pictures shown above then they should not and cannot be a model in any genre whether commercial or fashion. That idea is so so so wrong.
I'm sorry but please stop. Accept that there are people who dislike Kate, and with perfectly valid reasons for doing so. It's not that they've been "conditioned".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, alasdair, january, kate, mclellan, uk, upton, vogue