How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-12-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I love it! Very simple in a 90s kind of way and am glad she got it over Doutzen, she brings something different to high fashion which I like. Btw if you think shes everywhere, you might want to throw away all magazines and tvs coz she has a major ad at the superbowl which as we know is one of the supermodel manufacturing tools

06-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
I'm sorry but please stop. Accept that there are people who dislike Kate, and with perfectly valid reasons for doing so. It's not that they've been "conditioned".
I think you interpreted my use of "conditioned" differently than my intent. What I'm saying is that in recent years, magazines and fashion shows have the same image of the same type of model over and over and over again. That's what I meant by "conditioning" because it sets very narrow parameters of what makes a model are there are many who believe there cannot be anything beyond that. But if you look at the history of models, there is no set look, no set coloring or bone structure that can determine success or a Vogue cover. There is a very diverse range of looks and types with very successful models. Anyone from Tyra Banks to Alek Wek to Cheryl Tiegs to Twiggy to Gisele to Yasmeen Ghauri to Lara Stone to Saira Mohan to Anna Bayle to Ling Tan.

Last edited by theBlueRider; 06-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.
06-12-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
I think you interpreted my use of "conditioned" differently than my intent. What I'm saying is that in recent years, magazines and fashion shows have the same image of the same type of model over and over and over again. That's what I meant by "conditioning" because it sets very narrow parameters of what makes a model are there are many who believe there cannot be anything beyond that. But if you look at the history of models, there is no set look, no set coloring or bone structure that can determine success or a Vogue cover. There is a very diverse range of looks and types with very successful models. Anyone from Tyra Banks to Alek Wek to Cheryl Tiegs to Twiggy to Gisele to Yasmeen Ghauri to Lara Stone to Saira Mohan to Anna Bayle to Ling Tan.

ITA. The fact that the word "commercial" now exclusively describes models who don't fit into the current parameters of high fashion is telling. All of the women deemed supermodels were a hybrid of "commercial" and high fashion. Cindy Crawford did music videos, Pepsi commercials, Playboy magazine and still graced high fashion runways and the covers of all the major magazines.

06-12-2012
fashion insider

I am fed up with the titles 'high fashion' and 'commercial', girls arguing over who 'real' women are I mean you rarely hear the term 'real man' and when you do its not based on their physical appearance. Like Tina Fey says in Mean Girls - 'You have got to stop calling each other s##ts and wh##s. It just makes it okay for guys to call you s##ts and wh##s.'

06-12-2012
V.I.P.

wow this is dull..i just do not get her. at all. in any way.

fashion insider

Okay, Kate Upton is clearly not Cindy Crawford. Look at the way Cindy Crawford models!

Quote:
Furthermore, I can say that I see girls who look like Julia Nobis, Freja Beha, Snejana and Kati Nescher everyday.
If you see girls like Snejana every day then I would like to know where you live.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian S View Post
I am fed up with the titles 'high fashion' and 'commercial', girls arguing over who 'real' women are I mean you rarely hear the term 'real man' and when you do its not based on their physical appearance. Like Tina Fey says in Mean Girls - 'You have got to stop calling each other s##ts and wh##s. It just makes it okay for guys to call you s##ts and wh##s.'
That's a great quote.

Although I have heard people insinuate things like someone is "less of a man" or that that a guy "must be gay" if he doesn't fit into some masculine parameters. I also hear fathers saying things like "my son is a MAN!" etc...which I never understood but it's because I'm a girl.

I wish our society had less of a habit ripping people apart. Fact: Models and ripping models apart is kind of part of new model culture. The more people do it and the more platforms that enable it only reinforces the idea that its ok to think that way. It's not healthy for either end. There are certain top models, Kate Upton for instance, who are really bullied all over the internet. Her Vogue cover like this one just shows her hard work and perseverance.

06-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianSoFine View Post
Okay, Kate Upton is clearly not Cindy Crawford. Look at the way Cindy Crawford models!

If you see girls like Snejana every day then I would like to know where you live.
I split my time between NYC and Toronto. I also travel often to LA, Germany and Hungary.

06-12-2012
fashion elite

Comparing Kate to Cindy Crawford- Hey Now I am not a fan of Kate and I actually like this cover of her, but it is still irritating me saying she Keeps It Real.. seriously? Real Women? We are all women.. Whether you are slim, tall, short, plus size, small boobs, big boobs, brown hair, blonde, red hair. You have a vagina you are a REAL women. No matter Race, Size.. And I'm sorry - there is no normal body size or shape, no real we women would all be if left out in the wilds of nature (and not seemingly at the whim of societal pressures). Women come in all sizes - for REAL! Saying any particular body type is REAL is actually quite destructive for women everywhere.

fashion elite

Quote:
No I understood that's what you meant. But I don't agree with what you just said. It's the idea that todays models are all blonde eastern euro 15 y.o. blank faces which is the lie. Maybe there's a fair share of that with filler girls but just look at the MDC top 50 and the girls who are most visible, because there obviously is diversity. Eniko, Saskia, Daphne, Sui He, Toni, sexy girls, androgynous girls, girls with cheekbones, girls without, girls with personality, WOMEN, many 'conventionally attractive'.

It's this misconception that's boosting Kate as the new reactionary model. If anything embracing her is what's fashionable right now, because anyone who "doesn't get it" seems to be branded ignorant, close-minded or a snob.

06-12-2012
don't look down

It's because the magazine can't come up with any interesting coverlines, that's why we've got that phrase on the front. It's an insult that someone gets paid good money to repeat tired advertising slogans when they've got one of the hottest girls of the moment to work with.

This magazine needs to be led by people with a much sharper sense of inspiration than we're currently seeing. Perhaps what's missing is the threat of getting the sack, knowing your position is only as good as your most recent output. Setting the trends, not settling in until retirement.
Posted via Mobile Device

06-12-2012
Mag Master

hmm, seems she polarizes
anyway, i'm glad they flattend her backline on the actual cover

i really like to start a poll!!
"Who'd like to see Kate doin' Gangnam Style" ??

06-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceFashionista View Post
Comparing Kate to Cindy Crawford- Hey Now I am not a fan of Kate and I actually like this cover of her, but it is still irritating me saying she Keeps It Real.. seriously? Real Women? We are all women.. Whether you are slim, tall, short, plus size, small boobs, big boobs, brown hair, blonde, red hair. You have a vagina you are a REAL women. No matter Race, Size.. And I'm sorry - there is no normal body size or shape, no real we women would all be if left out in the wilds of nature (and not seemingly at the whim of societal pressures). Women come in all sizes - for REAL! Saying any particular body type is REAL is actually quite destructive for women everywhere.
Love it

06-12-2012
backstage pass

I feel like people refuse to give her a chance..its like they don't want her succeed in high fashion because like its not the way its supposed to be? Like its just not right for a model who has big boobs and dances to "Cat Daddy", to also be able to look elegant and high fashion at the same time? Its like shes only supposed to fit in one category and thats how its supposed to be?

shes proved she can be high fashion, and frankley shes very good at it. I love the cover

fashion insider

^ That's a lot of 'like's to take in one post I agree with Thanatos's Post #85

Quote:
It's this misconception that's boosting Kate as the new reactionary model. If anything embracing her is what's fashionable right now, because anyone who "doesn't get it" seems to be branded ignorant, close-minded or a snob.
The labels 'high fashion' and 'commercial' and the stereotypes that go with it have been so ingrained among fashion people that they're seeing Kate as the new messiah for fuller bodied women Aside from the labels, Kate is simply a beautiful girl and good for her nabbing the cover

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, alasdair, january, kate, mclellan, uk, upton, vogue