UK Vogue January 2018 : Taylor Swift by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

I'm more disappointed by the fact that he used a celebrity than the cover itself.
It still has a desire of fashion but his magazine seems more international than "UK". I believe a lot in being inclusive by being exclusive and this is too much "coming for a world domination" for me.

But don't get it twisted, Swift is probably much more flattered to be the first celebrity on the cover of the "most anticipated" Vogue in the moment than Edward. This is a win/win situation.

The eds in the december issue were meh so i expect something more for this one.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

I CANNOT STAND TAYLOR SWIFT AT ALL, BUT I MUST ADMIT THIS ISNT AS BAD AS I WAS EXPECTING!!! But the makeup is too servere for Swift to pull off. The makeup and clothes are wearing her and not her wearing the clothes.

I just picture Rihanna in this same pose and outfit and it would be GREAT (p.s. Rihanna will get a cover in late summer).

1 Week Ago
███████████████

This image look so Vogue Paris , Edward is try to change the magazine in a wrong way , sorry but this is not good, the image is a lot o photoshop , and the pose omg

1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

Truly terrible.

And after the debut cover, this is giving me whiplash. What worked about his first cover (forget about the content, which was terrible), but the cover worked, in my opinion, because, even though it was a true mimic of old Vogue covers, it at least was a very considered and obvious stylistic approach that made it stand out from most other covers currently. I actually would have liked it if Edward had made a choice to stick with that as a direction - with room to evolve, but at least give us a few issues running with that same vintage Vogue, close-up, portrait look. It would been a strong and confident choice - even if he used celebs in the mix.

However, this, as many have already said, looks like a Vogue Paris cover. It looks cheap, uninspired and there is absolutely no relation between this cover and last month's debut, which is it's ultimate failure.

don't look down

I'm in the "can't stand her" camp, but I like this... she looks like a naiad from a dark pond, the spirit of a rubbery water plant or an unpleasant flower that looks like folds of wet flesh.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

So disappointed its her on the cover; that being said she looks good. A big letdown after December though, I was really looking forward to seeing who was on the January cover

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

What I like about this cover is that itís a undeniable ďfashion imageĒ something that was almost always lacking in Alexandraís Vogue.

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

Why her? I thought this was US Vogue. I don't like it at all.

fashion elite

No fan of Swift but Edward did give her a fashion edge and this will sell sell sell.

fashion insider

Awful. Everything looks so wrong here. Especially the hair and makeup.
I also hate that gray background.

I thought this was Vogue US by the way.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Another thing I'm disappointed from is the lack of good art direction. Flipping through last month's issue I noticed not much has changed from Alexandra's fonts, layouts etc. I hope March brings more of an overhaul, it's desperately needed.

I've noticed it's a "trend", what with big magazines' art direction being laughable right now. I know not everyone can be Fabien Baron, but does it really take that much work not to choose ugly fonts and weirdly positioned cover lines?

V.I.P.

The person in charge of the layout and fonts should be FIRED !!!!!!!! A 5 year-old kid would do a much better job than this ! It makes me insane when I see basic ugly fonts on magazines like that: are these people getting paid 2 K or 3 to produce such *** ??? I meannnnn the image and styling is gorgeous, but from an editorial POV itīs just not acceptable for a VOGUE cover to get this poor treatment.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
Another thing I'm disappointed from is the lack of good art direction. Flipping through last month's issue I noticed not much has changed from Alexandra's fonts, layouts etc. I hope March brings more of an overhaul, it's desperately needed.

I've noticed it's a "trend", what with big magazines' art direction being laughable right now. I know not everyone can be Fabien Baron, but does it really take that much work not to choose ugly fonts and weirdly positioned cover lines?
My thoughts exactly !

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
This is what's bugging me most about this cover. What on earth is happening with those fonts, the positioning of the cover lines and just the overall composition? I hate how there's uppercase, italic and both large and small type on the one cover. It looks so amateur for a magazine of British Vogue's stature.

I honestly just want to open up an image-editing program and rejig the entire cover. The shot itself isn't a complete disaster but there's no denying the art direction needs work.

V.I.P.

The cover image is sort of "haute" in a way, so I'm not mad. Although the dress looks a bit like that Pokemon....

Let's see what this issue has to offer inside. I still think March will be the clincher for me at this stage.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, alas, january, marcus, mert, piggott, swift, taylor, uk, vogue