How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2005
trendsetter

UK Vogue July 2005 : Lily Cole by Tim Walker
From The Scotsman:

Yeah but ... chav tracksuits are in Vogue

JOHN INNES
YES but no but why? The fashion bible Vogue has this month treated the queen of "chav", Little Britain's Vicky Pollard, to a full-scale celebrity photoshoot taken by the esteemed photographer Mario Testino.

The feature comes a month after the magazine caused a stir by featuring Coleen McLoughlin, the girlfriend of footballer Wayne Rooney.

Supermodel Erin O'Connor also joined the award-winning Little Britain team - which stars Matt Lucas and David Walliams - swapping her finery for Vicky Pollard style outfits.

Favourite sketches from the BBC show, such as The Only Gay in the Village, Emily Howard as a laydee, and Lou and Andy, the carer and the fake paraplegic, are all featured.

Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman said: "The notion of pairing the glamour of Mario's photographs with the harsh comedy of Little Britain was irresistible.

"Right from the start I was sure we needed to have a model in the pictures to contrast the Little Britain characters and the traditional Vogue world." Instead of the usually glamorous locations, the shoot was taken in a west London community centre and a Sainsbury's car park.

Making her Vogue debut did not stop Pollard (Lucas) coming out with her trademark cheek. She told Testino, who is more used to snapping the likes of Madonna and Kate Moss, during the shoot: "Yeah but, no but, yeah but, shurr'up Testino! "Is that camera from Boots, yeah?

Walliams said he persuaded Lucas to take part in the shoot. "Matt didn't know that Testino was probably the most famous photographer in the world."

Last edited by stylegurrl; 04-06-2005 at 02:44 AM.

04-06-2005
trendsetter

More info from This is London:

Yeah but, no but...Vicky's in Vogue
By Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard
3 June 2005

The fashionistas will be quaking in their Jimmy Choos - Vicky Pollard is the new face of Vogue glamour.

Look here too!

Britain's style bible caused a stir when it featured footballer Wayne Rooney's fiancée, Coleen McLoughlin, on its glossy pages last month.

Now it has taken its enthusiasm for "chav" fashion to more extreme heights by featuring the "yeah but, no but" Little Britain teenager in a photo spread - shot by celebrated photographer Mario Testino.

The location for Pollard's shoot is not quite the usual exotic destination for Vogue, but a west London community centre. Her companion, supermodel Erin O'Connor, has abandoned her trademark couture to dress up Vicky Pollard-style.

The 13-page spread appears in Vogue at the request of Testino, a fan of the award-winning BBC series.

Pollard, played by comedian Matt Lucas, is a chunky bottleblonde schoolgirl who swapped her baby for a Westlife CD and whose mantra of "yeah but, no but" has become a popular catchphrase.

Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman says: "The notion of pairing the glamour of Mario's photographs with the harsh comedy of Little Britain was irresistible. Right from the start I was sure we needed to have a model in the pictures to contrast the Little Britain characters and the traditional Vogue world. Erin O'Connor, who's a great actress, was perfect."

Despite replacing her fashionable gowns with Burberry tracksuit bottoms and white stilettoes, O'Connor gets short shrift from Vicky and her friend Rochelle, played by Lucas's co-star David Walliams. Giving the 6ft supermodel the finger, Pollard eyes Erin's lipstick shade and sneers: "Pink is so tacky. This whole thing is, like, so tacky."

And despite Testino's obsession with the show's characters - he dons a frilly frock, lipstick and a Louis XV curly wig for a photo opportunity with the Little Britain "laydees" - his superstar status fails to impress Pollard.

"Yeah but, no but, yeah but, shurr'up, Testino," she spits before adding: "Is that camera from Boots, yeah? You know you can get three for one from Boots, yeah?"

Elsewhere in the photo shoot the vile weight-loss guru Marjorie Dawes is seen glowering as rake-thin O'Connor steps on to a set of scales.

Wheelchair-bound Andy and his hapless helper Lou are pictured in a patch of London wasteland adjacent to a Sainsbury's car park. But Andy is not pleased: "I don't like Testino. I want David Bailey."

And the **** and Bottle pub in Notting Hill is the setting for a visit from Dafydd, "the only gay in the village". Walliams confesses: "It was me who persuaded Matt to take part. I am a huge fan of Mario Testino's work. But, between you and me, Matt didn't know that he was probably the most famous photographer in the world." O'Connor adds: "This shoot feels like a holiday."

• The photo feature appears in the July issue of Vogue, out on Monday.

04-06-2005
trendsetter

04-06-2005
trendsetter

you've gotta love little britain. Can't wait to see that

04-06-2005
V.I.P.

i love little britain too, but it's clearly not the obvious vogue material one might expect......

05-06-2005
trendsetter

It's a really funny editorial, Erin looks great! There's pictures of Dafydd, Ivan and Myfanwy, Emily and Florence, Andy and Lou, Carol and Marjorie Dawes and of course, Vicky and Rochelle. I know it's not typical Vogue stuff, but its really good and just a bit of fun.

Lily Cole gets the cover though, wearing Louis Vuitton. There's also a Lily editorial, 'Lily takes a trip.'

'Ladylikes,' shot by Regan Cameron, with Diana Dondoe

'Super-Size Me' shot by Robin Derrick, with Lily D

Also, one shot of Luca in a jewellery editorial 'Afterglow'

Ads
Estee Lauder ( Carolyn )
Dior ( Riley )
De Beers ( Lily )
YSL Cinema ( Michelle )
Prada Parfums ( Daria )
Bvlgari ( Jessica )
Matthew Williamson Fragrance ( Portia?)

Good issue, with features such as 'The Clothes Fashion Designers Want to Wear,' and 'How to Dress Curves.' Plus Little Britain!

05-06-2005
trendsetter

hahaha oh god, I love little britain and yes nice iddea, totally not vogue, they are taking it to far i guess, i don't know, i love testino also and erin, so i'll have to see it before i judge Is it out yet? if so i'm gonna get it today.

Cinematic Vision

I love'd the idea, although I wouldn't of expected it of vogue. Can someone scan it all so I can or someone can post it in the Erin Thread (I don't have a scanner).

05-06-2005
tea time

i like the idea since its quircky and funny but it seems like a new low for vogue

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
05-06-2005
crossed wires.

Part of me thinks 'thank god' it's kind of a relief from a lot of people taking fashion so unbearably seriously...not necessarily that I think thats true of vogue of late. And I do like the way they've used some of the top models. I feel kind of dragged down by fashion lately, so many people thinking their opinion of one thing is correct and can't bare to take in others likes and dislikes. I hope this kind of lightens something up for a while.

I think fashion should be a pleasure, something with a sense of humour not a chore, and although I would oppose to this type of thing being done repeatedly, it makes a nice change.

05-06-2005
front row

This idea is so funny! and I have to join you and say I love Little Britain too!

05-06-2005
V.I.P.

Cool idea Must be really funny

05-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_fifties_fille

I think fashion should be a pleasure, something with a sense of humour not a chore, and although I would oppose to this type of thing being done repeatedly, it makes a nice change.
I agree with this. Fashion should be an interest, not something serious. This editorial shows that fashion can be fun, entertaining and have a sense of humour.

Anyway, here's a link to the cover. I'll try and scan the Little Britain pics aswell.
Sorry the pics so big, I can't get it any smaller

http://img300.echo.cx/img300/2003/voguepics8bc.jpg

05-06-2005
trendsetter

Here are the pics, just click on the links, they're too big to post

Dafydd
http://img247.echo.cx/img247/7959/vogue8bz.jpg
http://img247.echo.cx/img247/6494/voguedafydd1xf.jpg

Emily and Florence
http://img295.echo.cx/img295/6613/vogueerin8vz.jpg
http://img299.echo.cx/img299/4317/vo...lorence2ct.jpg

Andy and Lou
http://img54.echo.cx/img54/9710/vogueandylou6oq.jpg
http://img175.echo.cx/img175/6316/vogueerinoc9uc.jpg

Marjorie and Carol ( Computer says no )
http://img293.echo.cx/img293/4725/voguecarol9yw.jpg
http://img291.echo.cx/img291/3254/vogueerinmd5qi.jpg

and of course the vicky pollard pics above.
let me know if they work

05-06-2005
Cinematic Vision

Thanks for scanning the pictures Can I post those links in the Erin O'Conner thread?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, cole, july, lily, tim, uk, vogue, walker