How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2009
backstage pass

Like always, sex sell and is the last resort of desperation during desperate times. This isn't the last time we'll be the witnesses of blatant measures by publishing houses to keep their magazines floating on the dark waters of the financial melt down. Nudity is can be beautiful and it can be hot, in this instance Testino and Vogue have opted for the latter by styling Natalia in naughty pink make-up to make her look seductive as a pin-up girl.

What's lacking is rouge sex appeal possessed by Bundschen and other Brazilian models. Natalia is too sedated to make people's genitalia tingle, she's too tamed to pull of the type of appeal they have attempted.

05-05-2009
don't look down

Though I would go one stage further and say that 'using sex to sell' has been momentarily replaced by a new form of nudity and body focus - 'distortion sells' - as evidenced by the text on this Vogue, and by the Vanity Fair coverline stating why we should be interested about the concept of Jessica Simpson.

It's not about the simple and glorious sight of someone's boobs any more, it's a lot more neurotic than that. Because these are felt to be desperate times in the magazine industry, the tabloid tactics - and subject matter - these editors once considered themselves 'above' are now heavily incorporated into their own survival strategies, thinly clothed in a Vogue veneer.

It's difficult to precisely communicate what I'm trying to say because it veers into subject matter we aren't supposed to discuss outright, so my words are tied - but I don't find the coverline focus on the subject to be at all edifying, although it probably will spark some appeal on the newsstand. It's a commercial exploitation of the dark side of people's interest, whereas before, such magazines at least tried to stay on the right side of how to sell the subject to their readers.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 05-05-2009 at 06:30 PM.
05-05-2009
V.I.P.

I think I like the supplement cover better. Natalia's face is pretty but her body seem so akward plus I think theres too much text.

05-05-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
Though I would go one stage further and say that 'using sex to sell' has been momentarily replaced by a new form of nudity and body focus - 'distortion sells' - as evidenced by the text on this Vogue, and by the Vanity Fair coverline stating why we should be interested about the concept of Jessica Simpson.

It's not about the simple and glorious sight of someone's boobs any more, it's a lot more neurotic than that. Because these are felt to be desperate times in the magazine industry, the tabloid tactics - and subject matter - these editors once considered themselves 'above' are now heavily incorporated into their own survival strategies, thinly clothed in a Vogue veneer.

It's difficult to precisely communicate what I'm trying to say because it veers into subject matter we aren't supposed to discuss outright, so my words are tied - but I don't find the coverline focus on the subject to be at all edifying, although it probably will spark some appeal on the newsstand. It's a commercial exploitation of the dark side of people's interest.
Amen. I agree with every word you said, but this phrase particularly. Fashion magazines are rarely about fashion (or even aesthetics) anymore. They are more about complex industry politics, kissing a**, and catering to the upper establishment. We've seen a lot of tabloid-like reporting as of late (especially at Conde Nast publications) and it really makes one ponder about the state of the fashion publishing industry. It's actually quite frightening.

V.I.P.

okay, the cover, for me, is quite good but i just feel natalia's pose is kind of irritating. i mean, she could have done other poses while covering the private parts.

guinevere's ed is fantastic!

05-05-2009
V.I.P.

That cover shot looks like it belongs on the Playboy cover not Vogue.

backstage pass

Dear Ms. Schulman,

When will Jourdan have her own cover?

05-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
What's lacking is rouge sex appeal possessed by Bundschen and other Brazilian models. Natalia is too sedated to make people's genitalia tingle, she's too tamed to pull of the type of appeal they have attempted.
I completely disagree. Have you seen her Shalimar commercial?

But satisfaction brought it back
05-05-2009
front row

I love Nata n her cover is stunning, n i like her pose, it's really a good choice for a cover, i m sure this issue will sell great

05-05-2009
V.I.P.

I loved Guinevere's ed !!

06-05-2009
The future is stupid

Hello tarsha... images.google.com cannot be used as an image credit.

Changes to our Crediting Rules

Please post proper credit. TIA

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 06-05-2009 at 01:30 AM.
06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post

It's difficult to precisely communicate what I'm trying to say because it veers into subject matter we aren't supposed to discuss outright, so my words are tied - but I don't find the coverline focus on the subject to be at all edifying, although it probably will spark some appeal on the newsstand. It's a commercial exploitation of the dark side of people's interest, whereas before, such magazines at least tried to stay on the right side of how to sell the subject to their readers.
well said. i'm not an expert, but sometimes i'd like to see one idea, one project, one perspective on fashion mags. instead everything looks so clumsy and improvised... and sexist, of course.

anyways, i can't wait to see my daria!

front row

Horrible cover, so tacky
Lara's and Guinevere's eds are great!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Guinevere + Roversi =
Thanks for scanning, Manuva!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
Hello tarsha... images.google.com cannot be used as an image credit.

Changes to our Crediting Rules

Please post proper credit. TIA
Image Credit : Maxgone.Com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, june, mario, natalia, testino, uk, vodianova, vogue