How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2012
V.I.P.

Love Daphne's Mix Master ed! As much as I like Cara, she doesn't do Luchford's ed justice at all. Could have been really great with the right model.

07-10-2012
V.I.P.

I don't like any of those eds. Jennifer's is especially basic.
I still don't get why Cara is used so much with both ed and runway.
I just don't see that "it" factor.

07-10-2012
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmycolin View Post
In terms of the 'London' thing, I may be biased since I live here, but I can understand their obsession.
But there are ways of celebrating London's culture which aren't so insular in attitude.

If you look at the coverage in something like i-D, it manages to convey the vibrancy of ideas in the capital, but with the acknowledgement that so many of these people have come to London from all corners of the UK and beyond, bringing with them their own take on what it means to be part of this nation.

UK Vogue, in contrast, just serves up constant helpings of people whose merit is based on their surname, who never seem to have set foot outside of the capital, with features that are full of the attitude that nowhere else really matters. In that case, I don't see why the magazine should matter to me.

So I don't mind a focus on London as a place where cultural talent is concentrated, but done with the attitude that it's part of the whole nation, rather than the idea that it's the only place worth putting on the map, and the only face worth featuring is someone with a famous parent.

07-10-2012
fashion insider

I think this is how a celebrity cover should be done. It shouldn't be treated too differently from a model cover. I don't like the cheesy smiles or lifeless poses that a lot of celebrity covers seem to have.

I love Be My Valentino. I don't really like any of the other eds, though.

backstage pass

The more Jennifer interviews I read the more I dislike and find her annoying. "I can't stand shy people" How dare they make her feel uncomfortable! Seriously?

don't look down

This seems to be selling well, thanks to a newsstand price of £2, anywhere I've seen it for sale.

On a related note, Tesco's seems to be getting into the habit of selling InStyle for £2.50 and bundling extra freebies with a lot of other magazines.

09-10-2012
V.I.P.

Love the Valentino shoot, the shots of Karen and Lara in HC are stunning

09-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
This seems to be selling well, thanks to a newsstand price of £2, anywhere I've seen it for sale.

On a related note, Tesco's seems to be getting into the habit of selling InStyle for £2.50 and bundling extra freebies with a lot of other magazines.
Yeah, I have noticed that too. The August issue was also reduced at certain stores, and that had to be restocked within days - with Rachel Weisz.

Jennifer's one of those actresses that I would assume to fetch great sales figures. Given the amount of buzz and fans The Hunger Games has generated. I'll be interested to see how this does.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
But there are ways of celebrating London's culture which aren't so insular in attitude.

If you look at the coverage in something like i-D, it manages to convey the vibrancy of ideas in the capital, but with the acknowledgement that so many of these people have come to London from all corners of the UK and beyond, bringing with them their own take on what it means to be part of this nation.
That's the thing though, i-D has got a completely different audience to UK Vogue. UK Vogue's audience would be more than likely to be interested in these surnames because that's who they're targeting - the indie kids/musicians/etc in i-D are just as carefully curated as UK Vogue's 'surname'd kids.

In saying that, I never heard of any of those featured in the London feature, so it just goes to show that a) you learn something new everyday and b) not everyone knows who they are

tfs star

VOGUE UK November 2012 Supplement Cover

Photography : Ben Toms
Styling : Francesca Burns
Hair : Raphael Salley
Make-up : Petros Petrohilos
Manicure : Sophy Robson
Model : Anais Pouliot

ebook free download

09-10-2012
tfs star

On The Edge