How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2006
go red sox

This is interesting...

ELLE Goes 'Green' for May

NEW YORK -- ELLE has tapped leading environmental activist Laurie David, founder of the "Stop Global Warming Virtual March" and trustee of the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC), to be the guest editor of its first Green Issue, hitting newsstands April 18.

Timed to coincide with Earth Day 2006, the issue will be printed entirely on recycled paper.

"Since our first interview with Laurie David in April 2004, we've seen how concern for the environment is influencing everything we cover at ELLE, be it fashion, beauty, lifestyle, politics, or culture," said Roberta Myers, editor-in-chief.

In collaboration with Laurie David, the editorial team has devoted the issue to the subject of the environment. Editorial contributors will include Eugene Linden, Yale University's 2001 Poynter Fellow for his work in environmental journalism and author of "The Winds of Change: Climate, Weather and the Destruction of Civilizations" on the greening of politics and Mindy Pennebacker (author, editor of "The Green Guide") on fast and simple ways for readers to green-up their home.

In addition, the magazine features interviews with eco-leaders such as Robert Kennedy, Jr. (Waterkeeper Alliance, NRDC attorney), Tensie Whelan (Rainforest Alliance), Majora Carter (Sustainable South Bronx), and others.

"I am delighted to be guest-editing ELLE's first environmentally focused issue," said David. "I salute the magazine's leadership in acknowledging that the environment affects all of us-it is not something you drive to; it is the air we breathe and the water we drink. It is up to all of us to do our part to protect it."

In the fashion well, international creative director Gilles Bensimon will turn his lens on eco-style with beauties such as supermodel Carolyn Murphy, actress Evangeline Lilly, actress Amy Smart, and others, while fashion director Nina Garcia and her team scour the globe for the best of green fashion.

Beauty editor Emily Dougherty will give a definitive look at the healing power of eco-ingredients, while Miranda Purves' Living section surveys green restaurants across the country and discusses how we can all entertain with eco-consciousness.

from ksbitv.com

so I guess Carolyn Murphy, Evangeline Lilly, and Amy Smart have eds?

Last edited by peacelover142002; 06-03-2006 at 05:18 PM.

07-03-2006
V.I.P.

Elle sucks big time, American at least!

07-03-2006
Reinventing myself...

^nice pictures. Thanks for posting! I swore off Elle after the Ashley cover and bad edits in the March issue, but now I am weakening......

go red sox

"America's Next Top Model" Winner Nicole:

Talk about milestones: Recent America's Next Top Model winner Nicole Linketter's first trip to France coincided with her first shoot for ELLE and also her first time wearing couture. Hardly one to let a few successes go to her head, Linkletter, 20, took breaks from the ELLE photo session to go be a small-town girl seeing the sights of Paris: the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre -- "all the touristy stuff," as she puts it. Back on the set, she loved trying on the beautiful couture clothing, especially Chanel's pale pink gwn and Dior Haute Couture by John Galliano's outrageous pantsuit. The North Fork, North Dakota, native has been on the fast track ever since waiting in line outside the Mall of America for "hours" last April to try out for America's Next Top Model. She made the show and had a wonderful time on it, although she wishes more people would understand that "reality television is not reality." For instance, she admits that hte drama gets amped up by the video cameras, like when she had a fight with her younger sister on the telephone. There's clearly something about relaity TV that makes people more emotional, though she wouldn't define it as acting per se. "You are still yourself," she says, "but you're in a situation you would never be in in actual life." Having survived living in a house with 12 other aspiriing models and "being videotaped even when sleeping," Linkletter is now ready to concentrate on her career. In the future, the buddind star hopes to have the oportunity to be like one of her industry heroes, Tyra Banks -- who she describes as "not just a model, but a role model." We wish her all the luck.
source: justjared.com

ONTD

Amour Comme Hiver

I'm not really digging Nicole's facial expression in those pics...

11-03-2006
front row

I feel the same about Canadian Elle ...blah!

11-03-2006
go red sox

My Review

352 pgs

New, Notable Ads:
Emporio Armani - 4 pgs
Louis Vuitton - 2 pgs
Gucci - 2 pgs
Dior - 2 pgs
Missoni Fragrance - 2 pgs
Loreal (Milla J) - 2 pgs
Chanel Eyewear - 2 pgs
YSL - 2 pgs
David Yurman (Amber Valetta) - 2 pgs
Marciano - 2 pgs
Tod's - 2 pgs
Tiffany & Co - 2 pgs
Calvin Klein (Doutzen) - 3 pgs
Izod - 2 pgs
Maybelline (Erin Wasson) - 2 pgs
Badgley Mischka - 1 pg
Salvatore Ferragamo - 2 pgs
Michael Kors - 2 pgs
Dana Buchman - 2 pgs
Dolce & Gabbana Eyewear - 1 pg
Kenneth Cole Reaction - 2 pgs
Bottega Veneta - 1 pg
Armani Code Fragrance - 1 pg (w/ sample)
Rampage - 1 pg
Bloomingdale's - 4 pgs
Jessica Simpson Footwear - 2 pgs
Ann Taylor Loft - 2 pgs
Miu Miu - 1 pg
Max Factor - 2 pgs
Liz Claiborne - 2 pgs
Dooney & Bourke - 2 pgs
Gucci Eyewear - 1 pg
Fendi - 2 pgs
Versace Eyewear - 1 pg
Dior Capture Totale (Sharon Stone) - 1 pgs
Roberto Cavalli Eyewear - 1 pg
Valentino R.E.D. - 1 pg
BCBGMazAzria Eyewear - 1 pg
Burberry London - 1 pg
Swarovski - 1 pg
Coach - 3 pgs
Custo Barcelona - 1 pg
Baby Phat - 2 pgs
United Colors of Benetton - 1 pg
Miss Sixty - 1 pg
Aldo - 2 pgs
Shiseido - 1 pg
H&M - 4 pgs
Lacoste - 1 pg
NARS - 1 pg
Longchamp - 1 pg
Nicole Miller Studio - 1 pg
Boss Hugo Boss - 1 pg

more to come...

go red sox

Cover:
Shakira in Fendi shot by Gilles Bensimon.

Eds:
"Love in the Time of Shakira" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Why is she only wearing black in this ed? I would have much preferred to see her in a little color. She wears Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Dsquared, Costume National, and Anna Sui. 6 pgs

"Face Forward" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - ANTM winner Nicole in couture. She wears Valentino, Armani Prive, Givenchy, Chanel, Dior, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Christian Lacroix. 7 pgs

"Love, Brazil" Ph. Michael Roberts - Model in Brazil wearing various white Azzedine Alaia looks. Looks a lot like Liya's ed in last month's Vogue. 8 pgs

"Western Accents" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Model wears leather, fringed, turquoise, and other Western embellished looks. She wears Lanvin, Bottega Veneta, Dsquared, etc. 8 pgs

"Marquee Days" Ph. Ruven Afanador - Spread inspired by looks from Walk the Line, i.e. big hair, flowy dresses, cowboy boots. 6 pgs

"Life of Luxury" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Bottega Veneta accessories. 6 pgs

Other Fashion Coverage:
Short Mentions: Fashion-know-it-all (ahem) Anne Slowey answers your questions, batik prints, white and brown pieces, quilting and madras, flowered pieces, eyelet, seersucker, crystal-studded patterned pieces, De Beers new collections, Frederic Fekkai and H.Stern's new line, new designer Sue Stemp, new designer Nuj Novakhett, Chanel's LBD, Shanghai Tang.

"The Ultimate Accessories Guide" - Black and white, metallic, natural shoes and bags; the new it bags; stores' top picks for spring; Burberry's accessories.

"Scents and Sensibility" - Short article about Rachel Weisz and her Burberry campaign.

"Crown Heights" - Maggie Bullock goes all-out-glam for high-society galas.

"Party Platform" - History, etc, etc of platforms.

Beauty:
"The Genius Awards" - Beauty insiders share their secrets. Includes makeup artists Mary Phillips, Pati Dubroff, etc, etc, hairstylists Ken Paves, etc, etc, plastic surgeons, and dermatologists.

"The Final Cut" - The eye job is losing popularity.

Other Articles:
"Scenes From An Open Marriage" - Excerpt from Erica Jong's (author of "Fear of Flying") new memoir.

"The Stress Test" - Biological, psychological effects of stress.

"Comeback Kid" - Interview w/ Josh Hartnett.

"Uncommon Women" - Gretchen Mol, Ivana Omazic, Kelis, Michelle Wie, etc share secrets of their success.

"Logan's Run" - Interview w/ CBS's Chief Foreign Correspondent Lara Logan.

"Who's the Fairest Wife of All?" - Interview w/ woman who thinks mothers should stay home.

"Muscle and Flow" - Q&A with Vin Diesel.

Overall: I've said it before and I'll say it again: Look somewhere else other than Elle if you want great eds. But the accessories guide and the always-great articles make this a good issue for others. 6 out of 10 stars

Last edited by peacelover142002; 11-03-2006 at 09:17 PM.
20-03-2006
go red sox

Marie Meyer
Ph. Gilles Bensimon

HFGL

go red sox

Sesilee Lopez
Ph. Gilles Bensimon

HFGL

front row

I like the editorials with the exception of Shakira, it's impossible to pull off some trends with her because her looks aren't original or unique.

20-03-2006
go red sox

Ana Nocon
Ph. Ruven Afanador

bwgreyscale

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
06, april, elle, shakira