How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2005
go red sox

a review from bwgreyscale.com:

best edit: filippa resort edit. by carolyn cerf dudzeele. 1 or 2 sweet bikini pics. otherwise its just like an 80s or 90s ralph or CK ad. not surprising, filippa is ralph's best model since liisa winkler. these could be a lot hotter, rawer, dirtier. these are pretty anti-septic resort pics, very ralph clean cut, very kelly/calvin klein 1990 east hampton georgica porch outdoors look...also just not as hot as gorgeous and sensuous filippa deserves. still filippa is by far the best thing in jan 06 elle.

cover/2nd best edit: scar johansson shot by bensimon. another flashback kind of vibe- scar is heavily made up & kind of dewy photo style looks like late 80s or 90s elle. this kind of glossy, brightly lit, make up, dewy, extra-human 'sexy' look may have worked in elle france & us in 1985, but it looks just demeaning & dumb in 2005. bensimon has been repeating the same studio formula for almost 25 years in elle...its really dull. scar looks ok here, its her super glam look in make up & poses...if she were naked she would look like a soft-focus Penthouse pet circa 1980. its that retro & that vacant dehumanizing. on the other hand, I saw her in person circa 2001 & she was tiny!! a little petite dumpling...[circa ghost world]. since then she has been made over & re-styled about 100 times & her 2005 look is impressively glam & pretty...and also very fake seen in these Penthouse-like fantasy pics by bensimon. equally anti-septic to the filippa pics but more embarassing cos scar's posed 'sexy' and shot 'glam'-- but filippa's natural outdoorsy sensuousness is a billion times hotter ...at least to me.

look at filippa on the newsstand. youll see scar's Penthouse glam pics reproduced elsewhere, in other gossip columns. at best thumbs in the middle, realistically, SLIGHT THUMBS DOWN for wasting Filippa at what could have beena hotly sexy resort bikini edit.

12-12-2005
V.I.P.

really bad cover, she looks scary....

12-12-2005
V.I.P.

This is a terrible issue! All of the clothes in the editorials are awful, awful, awful! And their picks for Spring look exactly like their picks for last spring (I'm a little tired of the flat thong sandals, turquoise/coral, and white knit dresses)!! Skip it.

12-12-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbabefairy
Her pose looks akward
very akward..
bad bad cover, hideous dress

12-12-2005
backstage pass

more scarlett pics from the issue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle01.jpg (101.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle03.jpg (139.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle04.jpg (104.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle05.jpg (116.8 KB, 0 views)

12-12-2005
backstage pass

all from http://justjared.blogspot.com/2005/1...n-elle_12.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle06.jpg (122.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle07.jpg (106.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg scarlett-johansson-elle08.jpg (128.4 KB, 0 views)

14-12-2005
go red sox

my review:

only 1 new ad:

chanel spring makeup - 1 pg (not sure who the model is - can someone id?)

eds:

"The Smart Bomb" - Scarlett Johansson - she looks a lot better inside than she does on the cover

she wears:

fendi s/s _________________________________carolina herrera s/s

oscar de la renta s/s _______________________ bottega veneta s/s

prada s/s

"A Mediterranean Life" : 80s model Marpessa wears casual spring island fashion; very generic and boring

"What a Girl Wants" : various models wear s/s Moschino; my fav of the issue, obviously, since Moschino is my favorite designer

"Natural Born Woman" : Parisian tv producer Diane Mac Mahon wears spring looks; typical elle shoot

"The Brights of Spring" : various accessories shot against a background of flowers; very pretty, but, again, typical elle

"Poolside Classics" : Fillipa in another typical elle shoot; could've been from last year

other:

"darkness and light" : short wrap-up of spring collections

"show girls" : typical women get made over with makeup seen on spring runways; one picture modeled after missoni is absolutely hideous - one of the ugliest pics i have ever seen in a magazine. the poor woman should sue.

"house of style" : short feature with tiny pics on stylist Rachel Zoe's house; geez, this woman is pathetic - illustrating my point, here's my favorite quote:
"'When Lindsay or some of the other girls come over, it turns into a four- or five-hour hangout session,' . . . 'It's so much fun. We dress up and take Polaroids, order in food, and watch movies. I know all their secrets about boyfriends and stuff.'"

Um, ok.

"The Heartbreak Kid" : Surprisingly interesting interview with Heath Ledger. I used to think he was just another narcissistic tool who got a girl pregnant but refused to marry her, but he seems like a very down-to-earth person in this article.

Overall:

In my opinion its not as bad as the reviews have said thus far. The eds could be better, but for reading quality its pretty great. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.

Last edited by peacelover142002; 14-12-2005 at 11:10 PM.
14-12-2005
windowshopping

love the dresses! pity abt the hair

and indeed how ironic that it is the makeover issue!

V.I.P.

Why such horrible makeup? She's such a sexy natural beauty.

16-12-2005
backstage pass

She looks better in the inside editorial, but I don't like that heavy eye make-up.

go red sox

all pics from my review are from style.com

windowshopping

I think that the cover is yucky but the inside editorial is pretty. I feel that majority of the dresses & such are better on her. The darkliner takes away from the softness of the dresses. Than they top it off with untamed hair is making me But I love Elle and Scarlet so theirs no harm done.

16-12-2005
barack the vote

The cover looks like a blond Avril Lavigne with a mullet

17-12-2005
V.I.P.

^yeah, only that avril would have made a better cover, probably.....

23-12-2005
fashion insider

Does anyone know who the model in the fashion story was? A friend wants to know.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, cover, elle, january, reviews