How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-06-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee de foret View Post
are adult women really interested in selena gomez though? she is purely a tweener star at this point.
Agreed, she's a strange choice to me. I also found the "Why Hollywood fashion can't get enough of her" tagline bizarre, she's far from a young fashion icon. [Not trying to be insulting here, just really don't think she's that fashion involved or well-dressed].

I also don't find the concept innovative, I find it a downgrade for Elle, it looks more like Cosmo with the cheesy "Selena!" and bright background.

She does look pretty on the cover though, and the Balmain was the perfect choice.

06-06-2012
V.I.P.

I have no problem with her as a cover star (I think her and Bieber are cute together ) and I love how they styled that Balmain piece. It looks great worn as a dress. I'm not a fan of the yellow and don't like all the text but this is easily the most exciting US Elle cover in years. I dig the "Selena" font, too.

06-06-2012
V.I.P.

The problem is the girl (well, and the font and colours, too). She is so cheap looking she can't pull off high fashion.

And nobody in fashion cares enough about her. Misleading title. Did her PR team come up with that?

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 06-06-2012 at 03:20 PM.
06-06-2012
V.I.P.

At first, I assumed the obstructive 'Selena' was a watermark.

06-06-2012
fashion icon

The cover would've been great if she was standing in the sunlight, somewhere in a desert or something like that.

06-06-2012
fashion icon

I'm tired of seeing teenyboppers on the covers of magazines aimed at adult women. Leave the Selena Gomezes to Teen Vogue and Seventeen. I don't know any adult women who are checking for these Disney girls.

06-06-2012
V.I.P.

^I do agree yet I have to say its the most interesting cover theyve put out this year and she is gorgeous and I love that Balmain

06-06-2012
fashion icon

I wonder if Elle has done some research to see what the age range of women are buying this magazine and if they found that it was a lot of teenage girls. Maybe that would explain the choice of Selena? Though, I'm only twenty myself, just out of the "teenage" phase, and I never really cared for Selena or her boyfriend (even if they are nice people) so I guess someone like her is not going to be everyone cup of tea.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 06-06-2012 at 08:47 PM.
06-06-2012
V.I.P.

ugly cover...

07-06-2012
Mag Master

Selena Gomez by Carter Smith
Styling: Joe Zee
as last month 2 different cover again

via elle.com

07-06-2012
Mag Master

Cover Story

via elle.com

07-06-2012
Mag Master

BTS Video
http://bcove.me/xjxdmdjw

07-06-2012
backstage pass

That font must be a joke? Are they serious? My goodness, I miss the energy and vitality of the 80s & early 90s US ELLE covers. This by contrast is laughable.

07-06-2012
earthbound

I don't know... she's going to play in a Harmony Korine movie, so her career choices aren't as predictable as I thought they would be. I'm in my twenties, and I think she's interesting.

07-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ I'm in my twenties as well, and I have seen adult women posting in her thread with the same frequency grown women that appear to have a couple of brain cells post in threads like Lauren Conrad's. Evidently someone's approach to fashion or just the entire production around that person and the ability (or weakness) to appreciate it isn't really conflicted with age, or intellect. Or so I hope.

That said, although her project with Korine sounds like she's moving into interesting territory, I don't find her particularly interesting, she photographs well though and seems like a humble girl, nothing contrived or authoritative about her presence in fashion. Finally you get the star, and then the photographer, the makeup artist, the stylist.. art direction, it's never about the cover star only but the entire production around her. Unless you're quite celebrity-oriented that is.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, carter, elle, gomez, july, selena, smith