How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-06-2012
V.I.P.

i love these actually! great images

07-06-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
Agreed, she's a strange choice to me. I also found the "Why Hollywood fashion can't get enough of her" tagline bizarre, she's far from a young fashion icon.
strange isnt it? if you really think about it her biggest professorial achievement to date is wizzards of waverly place, a disney channel tv show most popular among 5-13 year olds. not who i would consider elles target audience and red carpet wise, i can hardly think of a memorable look, actually i can hardly think of any red carpet looks from her! i guess she is lucky she is dating bieber.

07-06-2012
MON
V.I.P.

The outdoor shot is so much better for me

08-06-2012
front row

Selena is making a transition from a teenage starlet to an adult actress/singer
so it makes sense on a cover of a women's fashion magazine. She's older than some of the models than have gotten covers and she's just as accomplished in her field as they are in theirs.

Last edited by Trends; 08-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.
08-06-2012
V.I.P.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbang View Post
The freshest outcome happened from this industry so far. It's about time they move on from the outdated white background covers. The 'SELENA' seals the deal for me, it's fresh, interesting and eyecatching.
I agree as well... It's a fresh pop of color and a venture out of confines of boring magazine layouts. I personally find it very aesthetically pleasing

08-06-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
^ I'm in my twenties as well, and I have seen adult women posting in her thread with the same frequency grown women that appear to have a couple of brain cells post in threads like Lauren Conrad's. Evidently someone's approach to fashion or just the entire production around that person and the ability (or weakness) to appreciate it isn't really conflicted with age, or intellect. Or so I hope.
Gee thanks. Nice way to insult posters on the board. I have more than two brain cells and post in the Lauren Conrad thread because she's not a teenybopper but a grown woman (aged 26). I do actually relate to her as a businesswoman and enjoy her lifestyle advice on food, decor and such. I cannot relate to Selena Gomez flying around the world making out with Justin Bieber.

I don't care for Selena or relate to her in any way but understand that there are people who do so and don't think it makes me better or them worse for liking her.

08-06-2012
fashion icon

She is a really cute girl. Knows how to pose with a serious face, what I love. I'm not a fan of teen celebs, but if some of them are talented (like she is) + pretty, then why don't some of them deserve a big cover like this. Or you'd rather see Scarlett or Cameron or Hudson for the millionth time on a cover (not just Elle, any magazine)?

08-06-2012
fashion icon

^ I'd like to see age-appropriate women on the covers of magazines that are aimed at adult women. Selena Gomez's fan base are tweens-- basically the same girls who are crying over Bieber.

The past few years have been really bad as far as the slant towards teenybopper culture here in the U.S. As soon as a 14-year old actress wears Prada she's declared a fashion icon, handed a campaign and splashed across editorial pages. It's starting to border on ridiculous.

08-06-2012
fashion icon

Nothing against her but I think putting Selena on this cover is a bad choice in the first place and the rest just made it worse.. She'll be more appropriate in Teen Vogue and other magz made for teens.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
^ I'd like to see age-appropriate women on the covers of magazines that are aimed at adult women. Selena Gomez's fan base are tweens-- basically the same girls who are crying over Bieber.

The past few years have been really bad as far as the slant towards teenybopper culture here in the U.S. As soon as a 14-year old actress wears Prada she's declared a fashion icon, handed a campaign and splashed across editorial pages. It's starting to border on ridiculous.
You're right up to the point. I agree on teen celebs being pushed down our throats, you got that right, but I guess I meant there are some okay teen celebs. Age doesn't matter the most, we have models like Groeneveld and Wixson.

08-06-2012
rising star

it looks weird, but ELLE readers are teenagers, so, I bet it's awesome, they want to keep the classy sister: Harper's BAZAAR as the main diva.

08-06-2012
you soft and only

It's not like she's the first tween/teen star to get an Elle cover, I mean haven't Hilary Duff and Ashlee Simpson had covers in the past?

09-06-2012
front row

REVIEW:

#1 - She's The One (11 pg)
PH: Carter Smith
Celeb: Selena G

#2 - About A Pearl (10 pg)
PH: KT Auleta
Model: Alyona Subbotina

#3 - Mad About You (10 pg)
PH: Horst Diekgerdes
Celeb: Jessica Pare

#4 - Gold Rush (10 pg)
PH: Beau Greely
Athletes: Alaina Williams, April Ross, Jennifer Kessy, Maya Moore, Natalie Coughlin, Jessica Long, Allyson Felix, Alex Morgan

#5 - L'Air Apparent (2 pg)
PH: Matteo Montanari
Celebs: Clemence Poesy, Peter Copping
Posted via Mobile Device

09-06-2012
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatocosmico View Post
it looks weird, but ELLE readers are teenagers
According to the magazine's own sales pitch to advertisers (ellemediakit.com):

Quote:
Median Age: 34.2
Age 18-34: 51.7%
Age 25-49: 55.4%
Generally speaking, just because thirtysomething (and older) women aren't making loud noises on messageboards across the internet doesn't mean they don't also exist as a large group of people who are interested in fashion and personal style, with significant purchasing power, and I think that gets completely forgotten on a forum that's mostly populated by young people - which is natural, but this can give rise to misleading perceptions of a magazine's audience.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, carter, elle, gomez, july, selena, smith