How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2011
clo
V.I.P.

The cover is indeed dreadful. The combination of overphotoshop with botox just doesn't work and makes Courteney look like one of the wax figures you will find in Madame Tussaud's Chamber of Horrors. It looks like they plastered Courteney's head into another woman's body and put a wig on her! Ah, how I miss Liz Tilberis' days!

15-03-2011
place your body here

awful cover. looks like a closeup from an award show that has been superimposed onto a magazine cover

V.I.P.

Is this cover for real? Poor Courteney... And the font makes it look worse.

15-03-2011
trendsetter

oh wow i don't like the cover

V.I.P.

that.is.all.

15-03-2011
fashion insider

reeling from the loss of Linbergh sorry but most the stuff he produced under Glenda was total crapola anyways. even 90s fashion powerhouses from the Tilberis era Melanie Ward, Brana Wolf, Terry etc stagnates under Glenda's direction... at least spare us the cover text overlaod... it's the same banal, unimaginative, repetitive headlines every freakin month, year after year...

Btw Glenda, it's the 21st century. nobody freakin subscribes to or cares about the archaic 'dressing for your age' bs that you shove down our throats month after month yet you insist on making it an integral part of your magazine. oh and produce an entire book based on that premise:

altho some originality in the next decade would be nice i've noticed artistic integrity and ingenuity isn't Glenda's forte. and no the Simpson's did NOT count.

15-03-2011
V.I.P.

TBH, I find pregnancy covers just as tacky, no matter how 'tastefully' done.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlebougie View Post
Too much hair....
too much Botox!

you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
TBH, I find pregnancy covers just as tacky, no matter how 'tastefully' done.
I feel like pregnancy covers could be tasteful if they focused on the actual woman and less on the fact that she's pregnant, if that makes sense.

15-03-2011
front row

glenda cant work at harpers forever right? i mean, logically, someday, she will have to leave....i don't think a thing will change while she is still there!

16-03-2011
windowshopping

Not a great cover, but I think she's a hottie. Botox, plastic surgery, air brushing....please lets see anyone else at her age??? As far as the cover goes, it's shot way too close up with a lot of hair.

16-03-2011
backstage pass

I can'ttttttt with this magazine anymore! Everything they're putting out is so unflattering toward their cover models that it has got to be deliberate. Elle has stepped it up by being ahead of the game, Vogue has too by following in Elle's footsteps and doing it better, but this magazine has been falling and falling.

Aside from Kim's editorial last month, there are usually gorgeous editorials. However, the way it chooses to be in presentation is tacky, tawdry, and desperate. Still, I don't even know if it's good enough to be "desperate" because desperation calls for change and interesting dynamics.

Last edited by lawaldorf; 16-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.
17-03-2011
V.I.P.

wtf??? it looks like homemade cover

trendsetter

It's not only atrocious and cheap but worse of all BORING. What I don't understand is when or why Glenda decided to go so downmarket. Granted, she was never the best or most obvious choice to lead Bazaar and has been criticized from the get-go for downgrading the magazine but still, I was a fan up to a point and she did, atleast for sometime, try to produce a quality magazine.

In fact many editorials come to mind: Lindbergh's Age of Innocence with Natalia, Sorrenti's Paris collections story with Gemma, Demarchelier's Anime couture edit with Gemma, Lagerfeld's Couture story with Gisele, Sundboe's 40+ page edit of the Spring collections. Plus others by David Sims, Inez and Vinoodh, Richard Burbridge, Ellen Von Unwerth, Nathanial Goldberg etc.

I'm all for incorporating new talent into the mix but without a few prominent photographers to anchor the publication it loses its sense of direction. Not only is their photog roster depleted but so is the styling.

They use to have Katie Grand, Mary Alice Stephenson, George Cortina, Melanie Ward, and Brana Wolf. Nowadays only Brana seems to be a regular contributor and too often they use stylists I've never heard of or freelancers, which change month-to-month, which again does little to forge a magazine's identity.

Finally, I've also noticed that even their use of top models has been lacking lately. For March the biggest names they had were Magdalena and Eniko, solid models but hardly at the Natalia or Lara level. As with photographers, it's great to incorporate new talent but prominent talent must be present as well.

Despite the use of all this "emerging talent" Bazaar seems to be devoid of any actual new ideas. A book devoid of any inspiration. As with any fashion magazine once the aspiration factor is gone the magaine itself might as well be dead.

17-03-2011
clo
V.I.P.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, april, bazaar, courteney, cox, harper, richardson, terry