How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

Looks like Heat or Hello magazine to me... but Angie looks beautiful...

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

Angelina looks STUNNING . and guys dont you think your getting dramatic about ..

a magazine cover o.o'

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

Doutzen's cover is so-so, but her ed is quite boring. She shows the same faces...
Angelina's cover is ridiculous, both of the image (Gettyimages... ) and the texts...

clo
V.I.P.

Thanks, Dadum, for posting those 3 pics of Doutzen's ed. Personally, I find it very nice. Now I can't wait to see it in full and HQ!

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

big let down, now I remember why I don't like Doutzen with her ed... she's so boring.

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerbowyStegner View Post
Angelina looks STUNNING . and guys dont you think your getting dramatic about ..

a magazine cover o.o'
Isn't that the point of The Fashion Spot? To get dramatic about fashion related stuff? Angelina may look stunning but it's inexcusable they used a tabloid pic for the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
For you guys who wish to purchase the subscriber cover I know that I have seen subscribers covers for Bazaar on the newsstands every so often so there is still some hope. The newsstand I used to go to ages ago used to always get some of the subscribers covers for Bazaar as well as the regular newsstand so there is still a slight chance it might pop up.
I hope some make their way to Holland.

Last edited by mikel; 09-06-2009 at 08:05 AM.
09-06-2009
don't look down

The 'dual cover' tactic is a great idea in theory, but in reality, it might create complaints and resentment from both purchasers and subscribers who both feel 'denied' the very different version, damaging their feelings towards the brand.

Some subscribers will want the same cover as the newsstand one, rather than a model. They'll feel they're being offered something inferior, and that the magazine can get away with doing that to them because they've already signed up and paid in advance.

I think that's why most magazines which offer newsstand/subscription covers don't take the difference too far; they simply reduce the number of words or vary the shot. Take it too far - and produce issues that appear to be separate products to each other - and you risk making people feel cheated, rather than treated to something a little bit special.

-----

In general, it's simple to posit, "special covers will encourage people to subscribe to the magazine". However, while the cover is everything when it comes to newsstand sales, cover appeal doesn't have the same importance in the decision-making process for subscriptions - for the average person (and the average person outnumbers us).

After all, to subscribe is to pay money for future covers which don't even exist yet. Sight unseen. What came out last month can only provide a guide for what you might be getting in three months' time. The average person subscribes because of price, because of habit, because of a gift, because their direct debit automatically renewed for another year.

The challenge for the subscription department of any magazine is how to best exploit people's passivity when it comes to the decision-making process of signing up for (or renewing) something long-term, not to appeal to their active side.

Purchasing one issue from the newsstand is often an impulse purchase based on the visuals of the product - but I reckon most subscription funding comes from ensuring the process of subscribing is automated and painless for the customer, perhaps sweetened by throwing in a free bag or some cosmetics. But not based on the cover shot.

Dual covers might work for magazines that have a concentrated readership of people who are super-savvy about fashion. These people would be more inclined to view two different covers as a 'collecting challenge', a special treat. They would be more inclined to pay to own two different versions of the same issue.

But even then, how long could that magazine get away with the tactic, before consumer fatigue sets in? What happens if the special covers stop being special and start being reviled by the readership - who will be demanding, with high standards.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 09-06-2009 at 09:02 AM.
09-06-2009
-- aGGravaTion de caS --

I can't beleive they didn't set Doutzen on the main cover, she is just stunning while Angelina is so boring!!

V.I.P.

I don't get why they had to airbrush Jolie so much, i mean i haven't seen this original candid, but i bet she looked wonderful and didn't need any retouching.

09-06-2009
front row

Honestly, if I didnt know that Angelina's cover was a paparazzi snap, I would've thought it to be a nice concept. It's a nice pic of Angelina. The fonts, the by-lines and the clutter just ruins it for me though. And a nice Doutzen cover that played up to her strengths (mainly her face, and I think that if I didnt know Doutzen was a model, I would've thought she was a celeb or actress, she has that vibe).

I think however that it is a little too amateurish, cheap and haphazard for a magazine this big to patch up the fact that they couldnt get Angelina to sit for them by getting a pap pic and having another model go to the sitting and give them both the covers. They are obviously scared that Doutzen wont sell as much, and couldnt get another celeb on short notice, that's the message they are telling us here and it screams it.

09-06-2009
backstage pass

Quote:

a magazine cover o.o'
I'm sorry but if Vogue suddenly turned out People magazine covers, using tabloid shots, how would that not be a dramatic turn in the magazine's history? Granted, Bazaar covers have been declining ever since Glenda took over, but this tabloid cover is still a turn for the worse.

Some TFSers think we're complaining about another celebrity cover, or the problem of dual covers. No. We are complaining about zero effort where the Angelina cover is concerned. What I expect is a real interview and (or at least) a real photo shoot with Angelina.

A lot of work goes into creating a monthly publication, and I would like to think that reader opinion matters. Seeing that most people could care less that a tabloid shot has replaced any effort at all, I'm not surprised that the magazine is declining and will continue to do so.

09-06-2009
tfs star

I'm definitely not a Doutzen fan, but her cover is very impressive. She looks incredible.

The Angelina cover on the other hand is just hilarious. It's a good idea to use a celebrity on the newsstand cover and a model on the subscriber's cover, but I seriously can't believe that they are using an old candid picture for the cover.

09-06-2009
fashion elite

Quote:

a magazine cover o.o'
do you know where you are?

09-06-2009
V.I.P.

Ugh ... Doutzen's cover looks good though, but not the ed.
Content seems interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
do you know where you are?

09-06-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Someone explain to me how this wasn't the cover. Just. Explain it to me. I am in a state of shock and my mind is boggling right now.....

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from Bazaar July 09
This is just a cheap ploy to get more subscribers!
Ok, so celebrities sell more on the newsstand. Then why do they have to make the celebrity look so damn hideous!! The Halle Berry cover was particularly offensive to me. Such a beautiful woman and the cover was.....
This entire year of Bazaar covers look like someone's first attempt at scrapbooking.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, angelina, bazaar, doutzen, harper, jolie, july, kroes, richardson, terry