How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-06-2009
Mr. Magic

Doutzy girl..change the face please

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
The average people... most certainly aren't their target market. But really... I wouldn't underestimate those average people. They just might know more than you think they do.
I didnt mean that they're 'average' hence the apostrophe marks cant you tell it was meant to be sarcasm .. Bazaar in the US is mainly targeted towards the massmarket and not everyone cares that deeply about a cover seriously ... and what if they only targetted the people who are deeply interested in highfashion then they're in trouble and I dont think you get what I mean. I mean MOST people. seriously speaking aren't really going to care as much as tFS does and by average I meant non highfashion obsessors. and I did not mean that they're actually 'average'..

Last edited by WerbowyStegner; 10-06-2009 at 03:25 AM.
10-06-2009
clever ain't wise

Doutzen's shots are something extraordinary. If there's ever a relaunch of the supermodel...Doutzen has to be there, and Terry is fantastic for the job as well.

You can just see his pent up frustration at not being able to degrade his subject - exhilarating! I don't mean this in a negative way at all - it's just male sexual behavior constrained by editorial conditions. It's reminiscent of Newton, even.

10-06-2009
backstage pass

Why dont we use this absolute low point for Bazaar to remember how great it was under Tiberis. I posted a link to a Demarchelier site which includes alot of his 90's work for Bazaar. http://www.demarchelier.net/fashion/ Image source Demarchelier.net

10-06-2009
clo
V.I.P.

Thanks a lot, jeanster, for posting the rest of Doutzen's ed. I really think this ed is quite good. Whenever Terry Richardson works for Bazaar he delivers something really good.

10-06-2009
backstage pass

MUCH ADO: Angelina Jolie takes yet another cover turn on a glossy magazine on the July newsstand-only issue of Harper’s Bazaar. But eagled-eye fashionistas recognized her over-the-shoulder pose and red-carpet lighting immediately. Sure enough, the photo is a Getty Images one taken in December at the Los Angeles premiere of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” There is no interview with Jolie inside; rather, the feature is an essay by Naomi Wolf on the actress’ appeal.
The use of a wire photo as a cover image set off a firestorm of complaints in the blogosphere, with theories ranging from cost cutting to a cover subject dropping out at the last minute. The subscriber cover features model Doutzen Kroes, shot by Terry Richardson.
So why not just put her on both issues? A spokeswoman for the magazine said, “Clearly, we are in an Angelina moment right now, and in a recent online poll, our readers reinforced that, overwhelmingly choosing Angelina as the woman they admired most for having it all. We responded immediately, asking Naomi Wolf to analyze the Angelina phenomenon and rushing to get her photo on the newsstand cover. We’ve done different covers for subscriber copies since 2001.”
But observers were still puzzled. “It’s a sad state when a legitimate [fashion] magazine goes to the lengths of doing a write around. That’s saved for tabloids,” said one Hollywood publicist. Some bloggers believed using Jolie may have been a ploy to boost newsstand sales.
According to figures from Audit Bureau of Circulations’ Rapid Report, newsstand numbers for Bazaar have fallen 15 percent so far this year through April, to an average of about 155,000 copies. Comparatively, Vogue’s newsstand sales are up 4 percent so far this year, averaging around 400,000 copies through April, a bounce buoyed in part by landing First Lady Michelle Obama for its March cover. Elle’s newsstand sales through April are off 16 percent; W’s single copy sales are off 9 percent, and, through March, InStyle’s single copy sales have dropped 20 percent compared to the same period last year. — S.D.S.
source: wwd

10-06-2009
scenester

doutzen is elegant and sexy. Great ed :]

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerbowyStegner View Post
and I dont think you get what I mean. I mean MOST people. seriously speaking aren't really going to care as much as tFS does and by average I meant non highfashion obsessors. and I did not mean that they're actually 'average'..
Yes, I used the phrase as well, and I meant simply in terms of number.

What I'm aware of, is that most people who buy/subscribe to magazines usually throw them out after a short while. It doesn't mean the 'average person' doesn't pay attention to their contents, or have an educated sense of what they want - it means they don't view magazines as being tremendously meaningful objects in themselves; they're disposable products which get replaced on a regular basis. As long as they receive the current issue with the newest update about what's going on, the magazine is fulfilling its purpose.

In terms of the article, I don't mind it when magazines do a feature about someone, rather than an interview with them, if the analysis is superb. Sometimes a detailed article can be far more interesting than an anodyne interview that's been stripped bare of interest after 'copy approval'. It just so happens that this Bazaar article isn't a greatly interesting piece, but it could have been.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 10-06-2009 at 09:22 AM.
10-06-2009
front row

That explanation still doesnt make any sense and just reeks of desperation. So they want us to believe that its easier to put somebody like Michelle Obama on the cover than the elusive Angelina? Try again.

10-06-2009
rising star

Isn't there some kind of article about why women want to be Angelina or something? Could someone scan it?
I'd be interested to see what content there is about Angelina seeing as she's on the cover.

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

US Harper's Bazaar July 09
"The New Season"
PH: Greg Kadel
Models: Maryna Linchuk and ??

scanned by me

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

Thanks for scanning. Both girls look very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoW View Post
Isn't there some kind of article about why women want to be Angelina or something? Could someone scan it?
I'd be interested to see what content there is about Angelina seeing as she's on the cover.
You can read the article on the HB site. A link was posted on the first page of this thread

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

Now that is just plain uninspired half arse styling, makes me pissed of! I am so ignoring this issue when it comes out on the newstands!

10-06-2009
Mr. Magic

It's Maryna with Yulia Kharlapanova

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

Maryna looks great in that editorial. I really like the shot in the Lanvin dress!
Thanks a lot for scanning fer19dog

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, angelina, bazaar, doutzen, harper, jolie, july, kroes, richardson, terry