How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

Doutzen's ed is worse than some celeb ones we have been given, just beyond!

11-06-2009
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerbowyStegner View Post
yea I get its a fashion forum and all but come on .. is this really the end of the world? Do you mean tragic in 'reality' sense or in 'fashion' senses because I can assure you most 'average' people could care less about the 'creativity' or 'ediginess' of a cover.. and they are their 'target' market..
And its exactly this kind of attitude that enables the cycle of mediocrity that has infested the fashion publishing world. Average people are smart and intelligent enough to know what is appealing. They are smart enough to see good writing and good photography and realize what is what when given the chance. Magazines underestimate their audience and try to dumb things down when they don't have to. I'm willing to be that these so called average people know a whole lot more than they're given credit for. Perhaps the connotation of my post was hard to gage but all these comments in thread about people being out of touch with reality for finding this whole affair to be a low point for Bazaar strike me as exceptionally condescending. All anyone is trying to say is that this is shoddy and mediocre work from a once great magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelynn View Post
I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect but do you truly feel that this is a tragic, distressing, disgraceful situation? 'Fashion' has all sorts of ups and downs in the last few decades (remember heroin chic?)...this certainly isn't the worst I've ever seen. In some ways you have to work harder to appreciate the picture but it's not impossible. ALL magazine covers are shot within a studio with tons of makeup, photoshop, lighting, directing...this is just a quick shot of Angelina, without too much thought...in a way it's charming. In a way it's cheap. But a tragedy???

I think for a magazine that used to be great yes this is tragic for their reputation. This sort of thing is certainly not what I used to associate with Bazaar. I remember the era heroin chic very well and I think that was one of the more inventive periods in recent fashion history for Bazaar and a whole lot of other magazines but that boils down to personal aesthetic preference. If it were just the cover that were the problem then that would be one thing but the whole magazine has gone down the tubes lately. If it were just the cover I doubt there would be so much discussion. The articles, the editorials, everything has been lackluster of late.

Last edited by Luxx; 11-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.
11-06-2009
V.I.P.

^Luxx I love your intelligence on this subject..ur exactly right if we dont say something then it will give them an excuse to produce more mediocrity

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

I love Lindbergh's ed, Heidi looks gorgeous.

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

well, simmer down and lighten up..that's my opinion..

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
I think for a magazine that used to be great yes this is tragic for their reputation. This sort of thing is certainly not what I used to associate with Bazaar. I remember the era heroin chic very well and I think that was one of the more inventive periods in recent fashion history for Bazaar and a whole lot of other magazines but that boils down to personal aesthetic preference. If it were just the cover that were the problem then that would be one thing but the whole magazine has gone down the tubes lately. If it were just the cover I doubt there would be so much discussion. The articles, the editorials, everything has been lackluster of late.
It does seem like they're throwing in the towel saying basically that they are not a reputable fashion publication anymore.

11-06-2009
fashion insider

even my BF (who doesn't care a stitch about fashion and works in banking) mocked that cover when he passed by the computer and saw it. the cover is just plain ugly. it doesn't have to get much deeper than that to the "average" person, and they're dumbing down their audience out of sheer laziness imho.

she's got the look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Friend View Post
^I think shes a copy of Stam,thats the reason why Lindbergh loves her- he adores jessica
The first model that came to my mind when I saw this ed was Jessica as well.
It's a cute ed though.

fashion insider

So sad, such an iconic magazine quickly deteriorating.
They need a new EIC, and a facelift.

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

^ But it's only one issue that hasn't original picture, shot special for HB.

I'm sure their August cover will be like previous ones (I mean original shot and not paparazzi)

11-06-2009
front row

Well, at least they got people talking... They've churned out pretty nice covers this year I think, but seems like few cared.

Seriously, this is what you get when you make your celebs bigger than your magazine.

11-06-2009
tfs star

boring eds and very dull pose. she could do more than this! like her W spreads with mert marcus

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

^well you also have to take into account who the photographer was.. Photographers area also in charge of directing. Not saying that he was literally supposed to pose her but...You can't expect Richardson to give M&M type direction. You know Richardson's work, which is why it looks much like it.

Last edited by Mchunu; 11-06-2009 at 10:33 PM.
11-06-2009
trendsetter

I dont like the covers and the eds are just ok

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu<3 View Post
^well you also have to take into account who the photographer was.. Photographers area also in charge of directing. Not saying that he was literally supposed to pose her but...You can't expect Richardson to give M&M type direction. You know Richardson's work, which is why it looks much like it.
That ed looks like it was part of the cover shoot. They should have moved on with another setting and team for the editorial. This worked beautifully for the cover, but not for the ed (though I think there is a good shot or two).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, angelina, bazaar, doutzen, harper, jolie, july, kroes, richardson, terry