US Harper's Bazaar July 2009 : Angelina Jolie / Doutzen Kroes by Terry Richardson - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines

08-06-2009
trendsetter

i love the subs cover and am so mad i don't subscribe!

clever ain't wise

Doutzen's cover looks like Mid 70s Paris Vogue. The texture of her hair, the daring photographer who's trying to get some weirdness into a regular magazine cover, and almost succeeding, here by showing just a hint too much of Doutzen's teeth than seems decent.

Is it motivation to get the Bazaar subscription? Is it a cry for help? Is it a statement of the Bazaar mind, where capital matters?

Questions, questions... Thank you Luxx for making sure we didn't have to live with that Star-looking HB cover for long I think this is the best HB cover since the Tiberlis years.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 08-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.
08-06-2009
fashion elite

I won't even comment on the cover, all has been said already.

On the positive side, I am absolutely delighted with the idea of dual cover-girls and I hope the concept will expend to all the other mainstream fashion mags.
One celebrity cover for the newsstand to serve as bait and one model cover for the subscribed fashionistas who don't give a f*** about Hollywood. Genius!

PS: Is Naomi Wolf respected as an intellectual? Because her article on Angelina is the most patronising, preposterous and downright mediocre puff piece I have read in months.

Last edited by Harumi; 08-06-2009 at 03:13 PM.
08-06-2009
fashion icon

I'm happy to get the Doutzen cover and look forward to her pictures by Terry and the Milla/Chris Noth editorial.

08-06-2009
backstage pass

I'll gladly put my reputation on the line to say that Doutzen's cover is one of the best covers of an American magazine year in years. It's just unfortunate the majority will never get to see it.

08-06-2009
fashion insider

HAHAH

They should read their headlines.

"Revamp Your Look"
God, wouldn't it be great if they did?

08-06-2009
don't look down

When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered what kind of cover would have those two beauties sharing the same space... only to find that it's a recycled tabloid shot - and an amazing subscribers cover which is better than anything and everything you see on a regular newsstand.

V.I.P.

I'm soooo glad i'm a subscriber, i couldn't be any happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-06-2009
fashion insider

I Wish I Subscribeddd

08-06-2009
V.I.P.

OMG Doutzen looks soo Pret A Porter on the cover
and i don't understand why people aren't getting why her's wasn't the newstand cover..isn't it pretty obvious?

don't look down

It's painfully obvious, but people can still appreciate and yearn for the cover they prefer.

V.I.P.

I never said they couldn't.....

Anyway but i love the cover ..i agree with iluvjeisa with it resembling an 70s (or 80s?) Vogue Paris cover..I even actually like that Doutzen's bottom row of her teeth are showing..it's a little "wrong" but so Richardson in a way..Good Photographer

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Liz Tilberis is rolling over in her grave right now.

I am with Mikel, this is NOT simply about who sells more. If we go by the conventional logic that a star sells more then we have to address the fact that Bazaar could have easily gotten a star like Jolie to sit for them and be photographed by Lindbergh, Kadel, Akrans or any of the other photographers who they frequently use. Instead they took a red carpet picture, the kind you can get on Wireimage or Getty and they shoved it on the cover. This is no better than a US Weekly or InTouch cover as far as I'm concerned. This is lowest common denominator and its the kind of thing that makes the people who actually love fashion cringe. If you just love celebrity culture and are pleased as punch every time you see something on your favorite star then fine, so be it but if you love fashion you want some of the beauty and creativity that fashion can provide. You don't want unimaginative, mundane and quite frankly passe tripe like this being passed off as having anything to do with fashion. If they wanted to sell magazines why didn't they devote the issue to Jon and Kate Plus 8 with 8 collectors covers devoted to each child and a giant neon banner that read "SCANDAL OMG"

You shouldn't judge a magazine by its cover but when they put something like this front and center what else can we do? This is just lazy and they shouldn't try to pass it off as anything else other than laziness and desperation.

And a Naomi Wolf piece? What is this 1991? She's a talented writer but this just feels so done.
I second and agree on every single point.Oh and the cover image is from Getty Images, they credited it on their site, which is beyond shameless!

08-06-2009
V.I.P.

Mikel mentioned this in Doutzen's thread..she's the first model to be on US Bazaar since Gisele. OMG Doutzen is so amazing this year!

ETA: i don't know if it doesn't count since it's the subscriber's cover..but definitely means something!

Last edited by Mchunu; 08-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.
08-06-2009
she's got the look

I keep saying that Doutzen is incredibly gorgeous, but some mags don't know how to take the best part of her beauty... A stunning shot for this?
Ok, move on. At least I can expect an ed

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, angelina, bazaar, doutzen, harper, jolie, july, kroes, richardson, terry