How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2009
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkereloise View Post
i love the subs cover and am so mad i don't subscribe!
i agree. in fact i'm really angry that hearst and harper's bazaar won't give me the chance to buy douzten's cover. why can't they publish both for the newstand? i feel like i'm being punished just because i don't subscribe.

i don't even have the patience to comment on angelina's cover. if i try, i'll just get more upset.

i hope glenda bailey is crying in her office right now from all the shame.

08-06-2009
boop

For you guys who wish to purchase the subscriber cover I know that I have seen subscribers covers for Bazaar on the newsstands every so often so there is still some hope. The newsstand I used to go to ages ago used to always get some of the subscribers covers for Bazaar as well as the regular newsstand so there is still a slight chance it might pop up.

08-06-2009
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi View Post

Definitely a missed opportunity, but I don't understand why people are not praising more the dual cover thing. Maybe when everyone is done bitching about the Angie cover we migght all ackowledge this is a great idea, no?
it's a good idea. but you have to offer two covers that are equal in quality, and they should both be available to subscribers and monthly buyers.

harper's bazaar shouldn't assume that all their subscribers are "fashionistas" and that all their monthly buyers are just interested in celebrities.

08-06-2009
fashion insider

I actually think the Angelina cover is stunning!

No just joking

But Harumi, I agree about the dual cover - I'm so glad to be a subscriber at this moment, when the last few months I regretted it. Doutzen is amazing

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
For you guys who wish to purchase the subscriber cover I know that I have seen subscribers covers for Bazaar on the newsstands every so often so there is still some hope. The newsstand I used to go to ages ago used to always get some of the subscribers covers for Bazaar as well as the regular newsstand so there is still a slight chance it might pop up.
Ohh! If you see one remember me! But I might see one when I'm in NY in a couple days!

08-06-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
i agree. in fact i'm really angry that hearst and harper's bazaar won't give me the chance to buy douzten's cover. why can't they publish both for the newstand? i feel like i'm being punished just because i don't subscribe.

i don't even have the patience to comment on angelina's cover. if i try, i'll just get more upset.

i hope glenda bailey is crying in her office right now from all the shame.

But I agree. Right now I'm pretty pi**ed! I used to subscribe and all the covers basically sucked! Now I don't subscribe and they f*** me, and all the rest of us non-subscribers, over! But I'm glad I'll be in NY to try and find the good cover. But this better not be a regular thing. But it probably will be. Probably to get us fashionistas who don't subscribe, to subscribe. But seriously, if you have to do a celebrity cover, you should do it right. Not use a red carpet picture. If you do decide to use a red carpet picture you should change the name of your magazine to People or Hello. *shakes head sadly*

08-06-2009
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
harper's bazaar shouldn't assume that all their subscribers are "fashionistas" and that all their monthly buyers are just interested in celebrities.
True but the majority of the people who buy fashion mags on stand buy it for the glamour. So for them celebrities dressed up in couture and high fashion with some gossipy chit-chat thrown in is a big draw.
People really interested in the fashion aspect will most likely browse the issue or visit websites such as this one to determine whether the content justify the buy, so I still think the newstand cover should pander to the occasional/celebrity-obssessed byer.
Let's not forget that it's the newstand sales that allow magazines to survive, so maybe a mediocre celeb cover means a lavish model editorial inside.

As for both cover being available on stand, is that a finantially viable issue? (not a rhetorical question)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsley V View Post
I actually think the Angelina cover is stunning!
Well Angie looks gorgeous no question (though I would not call the cover stunning because of all the ugly text, but the whole cynical concept behind it makes it ugly in my eyes.
Just look at the UK Bazaar for tips on how to do a celebrity cover without insulting your readers and still make it appealing to buy a thin issue (I brought the UK Bazaar, I will not get anywhere near close this one and yet I like Angelina infinitely more than I like Uma).

08-06-2009
V.I.P.

Im in love w/ the subscribers cover...hopefully Ill get it
n my subscription didnt run out...I jus cant wait to see Maryna

08-06-2009
front row

I think they want to compare Angie with Doutzie, that's she now "not young", hey Angie look at the super model. And maybe Glenda wants to warning us should subscribe the magazine (to get the better cover).. lol

08-06-2009
trendsetter

i only buy because it comes out faster than the United States Postal Service takes
to get to my house...
oh well; i'll just steal it from the nail salon or one of my neighbor's recycling bins
i refuse to buy that Jolie cover.
I loathe her.
but if i cant find the subs cover... i guess i will have to buy it for maryna!!

backstage pass

Oh no, the review actually sounded great. Now hopefully the actual content would be boring as hell so I won't have to buy the newsstand cover and get the sales figure of the Jolie cover up.

Mr. Magic

Doutzy looks so boring. Same expression each shot

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
09-06-2009
backstage pass

This is just a shame I mean they decide to publish a paparazzi photo of Angelina over a stunning cover of Doutzen. I totally understand the need to cater to a wider audience but that shot of Doutzen would at least draw a second look from most people if purely because of novelty. As a subscriber I'm glad I don't have to look at Angelina for another month but I am seriously considering not renewing my subscription in favor of just keeping Vogue, which has been far more interesting these last few months.

09-06-2009
fashion insider

My main issue with this dual cover thing is the fact that if the two covers are extremely different - this case being the best possible example - non-subscribers are being ripped off massively. If this IS a ploy to get people subscribing it's a little unfair.

I literally - 2 minutes ago - subscribed via the website in the vain hope that I somehow get this issue as a bonus. I have heard of that happening before. Please tell me i'm not dreaming!

09-06-2009
trendsetter

When are they gonna fire Glenda??? PLEASE put someone with class and actual respect for the magazine's storied history in the editor's chair. How can Hearst not care about Bazaar in the least to just let this happen??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, angelina, bazaar, doutzen, harper, jolie, july, kroes, richardson, terry