How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2008
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_elegance View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, because i've never bought the shape issue before, but doesn't it cover people that are diverse, culturally and physically, and have articles about health issues?
That said, the Shape editorial is usually a bit of a swizz, with the 'short' person being 5'7" and the 'curvy' person without an ounce of spare flesh on her frame. There's never anyone who isn't already a model or, as a celeb, isn't already featured in fashion magazines - I think Crystal Renn is as extreme as it gets.

I don't have the past issues to hand, but I can never remember thinking that they were particularly inclusive - to me, it's just a yearly selling gimmick, a chance to put a big headline on the cover and draw in a few more buyers who'll think, this month, US Vogue sounds more relevant to their lifestyle.

14-03-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by larien View Post
What is the point of putting a basketballer to a fashion magazine's cover ?
I suppose partly it's because of the shape theme this issue, and partly because fashion is, ultimately, for everyone.

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu<3 View Post
well..wait. is it really true he is the first black male on a Vogue cover? Will Smith was on Men's Vogue.
Mens Vouge and VOGUE is not the same.

14-03-2008
rising star

That cover is so disappointing

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Mens Vouge and VOGUE is not the same.
Surely "Mens vouge" & Vogue are not the same

what i am saying is that they're both editions of Vogue; period. :p

Last edited by Mchunu; 14-03-2008 at 01:26 PM.
14-03-2008
V.I.P.

I understand why she put Lebron on the cover, anyone seen the 2007 playoffs besides me? He single-handed brought a team no one ever cared about to play against one of the top teams in the league! And to top it all off, everyone saw they had potential to win. He is an amazing player! That being said, she could have easily picked a cover picrure that flattered him. The picture looks horrendous! I am looking forward to Doutzen & Daria's pics.

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
& why not since they are both editions of vogue? :p
I am sorry but i actually do not get your point?

Vogue is 100+ years old and this is the FIRST time a man of colour has been on their cover, EVER!! While Mens Vogue was launched few years ago and had several stylish black men like Obama, Washington.etc on their covers alredy.

So i really dont see what Mens Vogue has to do with any of this since its not the same magazine!!

Last edited by Miss Dalloway; 14-03-2008 at 01:32 PM.
14-03-2008
fashion insider

I'm really mad they didn't feature either Djokovic or Federer...

V.I.P.

Quote:
good that he's the first black male but they still set him up with this one
Yeah again its sad especially considering King James is a great looking guy! I'm still not over VOGUE doing this considering GQ and Men's Vogue have done it right when it comes to male celebs...surely if he were on those covers he'd be so fine & proper,jokes! They really could've gotten money from me since I love diversity & quality,not to mention I love sports almost as much as fashion! I guess its covers like this that gives their theory of 'Oh models & minorites don't sell well' excuses some sort of credence. But Gee if only they'd get decent covers I don't think it would be a problem!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
I am sorry but i actually do not get your point?

Vogue is 100+ years old and this is the FIRST time a man of colour has been on their cover, EVER!! While Mens Vogue was launched few years ago and had several stylish black men like Obama, Washington.etc on their covers alredy.

So i really dont see what Mens Vogue has to do with any of this since its not the same magazine!!
Agreed,its not the same.

Someone's at the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
That said, the Shape editorial is usually a bit of a swizz, with the 'short' person being 5'7" and the 'curvy' person without an ounce of spare flesh on her frame. There's never anyone who isn't already a model or, as a celeb, isn't already featured in fashion magazines - I think Crystal Renn is as extreme as it gets.

I don't have the past issues to hand, but I can never remember thinking that they were particularly inclusive - to me, it's just a yearly selling gimmick, a chance to put a big headline on the cover and draw in a few more buyers who'll think, this month, US Vogue sounds more relevant to their lifestyle.
I agree with this entirely. I mean, they once used Devon Aoki to portray short, when she's actually two inches taller than me and I'm exactly average at 5"4".

The only shapes they ever get right are "tall" and "thin" for obvious reasons.

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

I find it disturbing that some are seeing king kong or "Ape" when they look at Lebron on the cover. It's like WTF?!

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Noooo....What a terrible cover.

14-03-2008
clo
V.I.P.

I like the cover. I think that the idea of motion they tried to convey may not be the very best one but Gisele and Lebron look great together and at least it's not a celebrity/actress cover. I am also upset that people call Lebron King Kong or Ape. That is extremely offensive and he is actually a good looking guy!

Last edited by clo; 14-03-2008 at 02:38 PM.
14-03-2008
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
I find it disturbing that some are seeing king kong or "Ape" when they look at Lebron on the cover. It's like WTF?!
I pondered that. I think they're seeing a physically huge man pulling a 'beast' pose (roaring mouth, rounded arms) with a skinny woman looking as if she's trying to escape. So I'd like to think the aggressive/defensive body language is what provokes the comparison, rather than the shade of the skin.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, annie, april, bundchen, gisele, james, lebron, leibovitz, vogue