How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

boring, but nice to see gisele on the cover for the 100,000,000th time...

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
I find it disturbing that some are seeing king kong or "Ape" when they look at Lebron on the cover. It's like WTF?!
why is it disturbing to you? Look at the posture, shoulders hunched forward, arms hanging down, jaw wide open in an angry cry. Blonde damsell (sp?) in his arm...it could only be more apparant if Anna had arranged miniture planes to fly around them.

No need to assume the worst in people

14-03-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zposen View Post
Anna hardly ever uses minorities in vogue, on the cover or inside for editorials. I have yet to see a Latina on the cover (or maybe I just dont remember). This cover is indeed hideous; it makes the other time she used a black face, the Jennifer Hudson cover look great which I never thought was possible.
Salma Hayek and Jennifer Lopez have been on the cover.

14-03-2008
In other words

I'm not really a fan of this cover.
Gisele look fantastic, but Lebron looks scary. (It's just a really unflattering image of him).

Him making this face for a photo is not as exciting as him making this face when he's (while playing basketball) doing a slam dunk, and adding 2 more points to his teams' score.

He's more handsome smiling, or with a "serious" look on his face.
For example:

Source: time.com and thefoolhardy.com.

14-03-2008
tfs star

This is pretty terrible but I don't have high expectations for US Vogue anymore anyway

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
I find it disturbing that some are seeing king kong or "Ape" when they look at Lebron on the cover. It's like WTF?!
I don't think he looks like an ape, but the imagery of the photo either consciously or unconsciously recalls the image of King Kong gripping the white woman. His face and body language look menacing, almost dangerous, compared to Giselle. It was really a poor choice for a picture and it doesn't look like the same photshoot. As others have said, if it was a sports photo in another context, like on a basketball court or something, the yelling and aggression would seem more appropriate, but not here.

Last edited by sepia; 14-03-2008 at 03:09 PM.
14-03-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I pondered that. I think they're seeing a physically huge man pulling a 'beast' pose (roaring mouth, rounded arms) with a skinny woman looking as if she's trying to escape. So I'd like to think the aggressive/defensive body language is what provokes the comparison, rather than the shade of the skin.
I have to be honest and say that I thought of this the first time I looked at the cover too.Lebron is very attractive normally ,but on the cover he looks horrible in my opinion.One of the worst covers, I can think of a ton more interesting and eye catching ways they could have placed Gisele and Lebron, but again this is US Vogue were talking about so I guess a bad cover is sort of expected.

I have to say that the model paired with the athlete thing is a bit gimmicky to me, I like what they usually do with the August age issue much better.

14-03-2008
The future is stupid

Quote:
Gisele Size Up LeBron

Even though he stands 9 inches taller than she does, LeBron James doesn’t intimidate Gisele Bündchen one bit!

“He doesn’t really make you feel small, even though he is big,” Gisele, 27, says of the 6-foot-8 Cleveland Cavaliers star in the April issue of Vogue.

“I think my leg is like the size of his shoe,” the supermodel — no shorty herself at 5 feet 11 inches — adds.

Although LeBron, 23, is pals with Gisele’s beau, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the odd couple had never met prior to stepping in front of Annie Leibovitz’s camera for the fashion bible's photo shoot.

So what does LeBron think of the world’s hottest catwalker?

LeBron on Gisele’s profession:
“She’s all about business, and she’s all about fun. That’s why she’s the best; she has fun while she’s doing it.”

Gisele on LeBron’s profession
:
“What sports teaches you is not only respect for your body but that you have to be aware of your body, that you have to work with other people. If you feel good, you play better, and if you feel better, your self-worth will increase every day.”
source | pagesix

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Why couldn't they make that shot the cover???????? It looks great!

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

the sports clothes are very ugly, why didn't they put him in something better?

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

LeBron looks way better in the other shot.

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiagoMello View Post
Why couldn't they make that shot the cover???????? It looks great!
Okaaay! I'm so with you on that. Although,I'm still not psyched about Giselle either even though I was talking Lebron this & that neither of them looked good I have to say! But on that photo both look better and I know Lebron can take great photos! But I guess its too much to ask to have a great selling mag with these two...sad!

don't look down

The second shot has ten times more class than the actual cover, a supermodel towering over a mighty sportsman, like two superhuman bodies together.

tfs star

What idiot chose to not use the second image as the cover? Gisele looks like a goddess and Lebron looks like a mighty warrior.I'm praying someone tells me this is all a joke and that is the actual cover photo.

14-03-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
the sports clothes are very ugly, why didn't they put him in something better?
they put him in his own range for nike or something but it's something he designed

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, annie, april, bundchen, gisele, james, lebron, leibovitz, vogue