How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nova View Post
^ I don't find it offensive at all I think the comparison to king kong is pretty offensive

i dunno I just thought that he was making that face to portray like his game face you know that he's tough and what not... I think people are reading WAY into it.

I mean I don't like this cover and most of the editorials were pretty dry for me... it's def an unflattering photo of both LeBron and Gisele but I think that whole king kong scenario is a bit ridiculous sorry I think people need to just accept it for what it is... and if Lebron and Gisele are okay with it then I dont see why others are making a big deal out of nothing.
That's what I was wondering. I certainly didn't think that when I saw the cover but it is a comment that has been discussed in the media and I thought it was interesting that it had been echoed here. I think maybe because it's US Vogue which is notoriously WASPish , as is fashion (look at the fuss over Prada and Jourdan Dunn) an issue of race will always arise no matter how someone who isn't white is portrayed in the magazine. People are always going to have an issue with it because often I think Vogue is either trying to please or placate commentators and perhaps doesn't directly engage with the issue of representation like they should.

On a side note I love Raquel's editorial she is perfect for it.

23-03-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApertureRomance View Post
That's what I was wondering. I certainly didn't think that when I saw the cover but it is a comment that has been discussed in the media and I thought it was interesting that it had been echoed here. I think maybe because it's US Vogue which is notoriously WASPish , as is fashion (look at the fuss over Prada and Jourdan Dunn) an issue of race will always arise no matter how someone who isn't white is portrayed in the magazine. People are always going to have an issue with it because often I think Vogue is either trying to please or placate commentators and perhaps doesn't directly engage with the issue of representation like they should.

On a side note I love Raquel's editorial she is perfect for it.
Same here, i didnt think of anything at first until i read an article about this and then it did make sense.

I dont think anyone is puilling the race card here but either way you look at it, it is a good and reasonable observation.

Also, i find it pretty odd to see the first african american male on the cover of Vogue portrayed like this.

23-03-2008
trendsetter

^ good point... both of you
Perhaps Vogue is trying WAY too hard it just comes off badly

but yea... I just am still so disappointed in the ed's I mean it's different but so blah it's def lacking

clo
V.I.P.

Thanks a lot for the scans, Faith! This issue is quite good, actually. And I have to admit that Caroline Trentini is growing on me: she is very beautiful, has a killer body and it's not her fault that Anna Wintour has her jumping around all the time. And, totally off the topic, Faith, do you happen to have Vogue Living with Rachel Weisz on the cover? If you do, can you scan Caroline's ed? Thanks in advance.

23-03-2008

^This was a store-bought issue, so Vogue Living wasn't included It should come with my subscription copy, though...

23-03-2008
clo
V.I.P.

Thanks a lot, Faith!

23-03-2008
front row

I really like this issue, even if just for the editorials. I love the athletes mixed in, it just has a beautiful symmetry to it. It was informative as well!
As for the cover-- I didn't think it was offensive-- but I certainly did think it was new! I don't believe I've ever thought of Lebron James being on the cover of US Women's Vogue, but that's fine.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
^This was a store-bought issue, so Vogue Living wasn't included It should come with my subscription copy, though...

I didn't get a copy of Vogue Living w/ my subscription

is that not right?

front row

^^^ That's strange, I didn't get Vogue Living either.

It's at my store though, I may just pick it up.

trendsetter

.... i'm sad should i e-mail conde nast or something?
I mean i guess i COULD buy another mag :-\ but that stinks

maybe it'll come separate?

but i already got my W in the mail too

V.I.P.

Quote:
i dunno I just thought that he was making that face to portray like his game face you know that he's tough and what not... I think people are reading WAY into it.
agreed. people really need to start being less p.c. It's getting quite annoying that no one can do anything without "racism" being implied.

But satisfaction brought it back
23-03-2008
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nova View Post
I didn't get a copy of Vogue Living w/ my subscription

is that not right?
Vogue Living is a separate magazine. It doesn't come nor is it included w/your Vogue subscription.

23-03-2008
trendsetter

^ oh... okay good *phew* i thought it did and i didnt get it
goody well then i will go see if the store near me has a copy i would love to see it

thanks for clarifying MissMagAddict

I've definitely gotten it alongside my subscription, though (Such as the previous issue with Jennifer Garner, which came plastic wrapped alongside Vogue -- I have it and I know for a fact that I didn't purchase it separately ) I believe there are two Vogue Livings - one is a 12-month, separate magazine, the other is the bi-annual supplement version, which features celebrities on the cover and occasionally model editorials.

Separate mag (12-month):
http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Living/dp/B00006L1B7

Supplement ("Special edition" bi-annual) issue:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...isz-66623.html
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ier-61257.html

The latter kind is the one with the Caroline editorial, so it really should've came as a supplement...unless they decided to discontinue that option.

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 23-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.

23-03-2008
front row

I don't like this cover. I don't like gisele. Shaun white & Daria would have made an amazing cover! anyways, this issue was boring..I'm sick of seeing the same models over and over again.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, annie, april, bundchen, gisele, james, lebron, leibovitz, vogue