How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-03-2008
scenester

Thanks a lot for the scans! I don't like the cover, is just awful... and I think it's really difficult to make something awful when Gisele is on it! but Anna could... This flower editorial is too obvious, I mean, it's ok, but maybe they could think better in something more different than just flower prints+flowers.

25-03-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
*refrains from dissing Trentini*

At least she doesn't look too bad here (in ALL FOUR of her eds )
when i saw all this wealth of trentini i thought about you

backstage pass

I don't get the controversy that's going on with this cover. Finally, a model on the cover again =)!!

27-03-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietcamilla View Post
and jumping is made for trentini not gisele
i can prove to you that gisele may not be the original jumper but she was doing it way before carol first did it on vogue. karen elson might be the first. anyway, most of them are shot by steven meisel so i guess the jumping thing has been started by meisel. love meisel!

27-03-2008
tailored

there's a separate thread for the u.s edition of vogue living...
please post eds and comments in that thread...thank you...

congratulations, nerds.

LOLVogue is back!
-gawker.com

27-03-2008
V.I.P.

27-03-2008
teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere View Post
I was about to say. Am i the only one who finds the cover offensive?
No... but all I wanted to say was that even though the cover may have some double meaning going on, I kind of think Anna knew what she was doing. Anna knows that US Vogue is kind of a joke when it comes to fashion and editorials, so to keep her magazine interesting, she must resort to this type of thing. To be honest, I do find this cover offensive but I have other things to be worried about, so to speak. As Jason Whitlock said in Am I Supposed To Be Man About LeBron:
Quote:
I'm black, and I'm pissed off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being pissed smooth the **** off.
Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?
Anna Wintour has done a lot worse. I think the Jennifer Hudson cover was awful (*Edited* she avoids black models anywhere near her magazine unless it's Chanel Iman and then she had too basically deal with both in 1 cover). I also find it interesting that it created so much buzz outside of the fashion community. Like I said before, she has done worse, so why pay attention now? Maybe people are a little sensitive because it seems like America isn't progressing like it should. What I really want to know is how Andre L.T. feels about this? I take his concerns more seriously since he is the Editor-At-Large.
Sorry if you guys talked about this before but I just wanted to spend my 2 cents.

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 27-03-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Weight talk. See tFS Community Rules.
27-03-2008
backstage pass

What the hell? He looks like he is about to cannibalize her...and not in the Helmut Lang way.

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".
27-03-2008
trendsetter

^i doubt this debate belongs in this thread, but i don't think it's fair to say that anna "avoids black models anywhere near her magazines" excepting chanel iman. liya kebede has been a vogue staple for years, and even had a solo cover awhile back. vogue uses a very small handful of girls (and trentini over and over again), and both liya and chanel appear in issues frequently, which is more than most models, black or white, can say.

27-03-2008
teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffam View Post
^i doubt this debate belongs in this thread, but i don't think it's fair to say that anna "avoids black models anywhere near her magazines" excepting chanel iman. liya kebede has been a vogue staple for years, and even had a solo cover awhile back. vogue uses a very small handful of girls (and trentini over and over again), and both liya and chanel appear in issues frequently, which is more than most models, black or white, can say.
it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. i wasn't entirely serious. My main point was that there are plenty and plenty of black models she could use but yet we see very few time after time.

don't look down

Jill Scott's only in there because she's currently starring in a HBO/BBC adaptation of the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency book, directed by the late Anthony Mingella. It's like her reputation needed the validation of being associated with a top male director and a best-selling male author before magazines like Vogue thought she was worth bothering with.

Vogue wasn't knocking on the door to ask about her shopping habits when she was making all those fantastic songs on her own, in her first career as a singer.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 27-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.
27-03-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuva View Post
LOLVogue is back!
-gawker.com

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! See tFS Community Rules.

I laughed, I cried... I fell out of my chair.

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 27-03-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Quoting Images
27-03-2008
V.I.P.

Trentini the Brazilian jumping bean ...

27-03-2008
V.I.P.

Thanks for all of the scans, Faith! We really appreciate it!

The main athletes editorial is wonderful; beautifully shot and a wonderful cast of models and athletes.

The Caroline in bikinis editorial is quite boring, but she does look gorgeous.

Raquel's is fantastic; Lanvin always looks amazing in print.

As for the cover, it's quite terrible... I don't think that it's racist though; people may interpret it as that, but Anna Wintour isn't that stupid to mirror it to the King Kong images.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, annie, april, bundchen, gisele, james, lebron, leibovitz, vogue