How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietcamilla View Post
I think Beyonce looks lovely in that shade of blue, that is a gorgeous shot of her. I wonder who is inside..
I got a hint from an intern there, we can expect some Jourdan. Well the intern said "dark beauty" when i referred to what models are inside.

14-03-2009
V.I.P.

Hopefully there's another Meisel editorial!

14-03-2009
clever ain't wise

I don't know why I should, but I like this cover. I like her proud pose, I even like the strange slicked hair that makes her eyes look fish like and pulled out. Yes, there is some risk taking here, and with the perfectionist par excellance, like Anna, that almost always becomes far better than the safe option. US Vogue IS getting better....

14-03-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I don't know why I should, but I like this cover. I like her proud pose, I even like the strange slicked hair that makes her eyes look fish like and pulled out. Yes, there is some risk taking here, and with the perfectionist par excellance, like Anna, that almost always becomes far better than the safe option. US Vogue IS getting better....
God! I could cry in agreemant with you! She looks elegant, poised, strong and refined. The slicked back hair makes her look perfectly coiffed, and her skin is so clean! The cover is just so clean and PERFECT!

14-03-2009
she's got the look

I think that this vulgar talking is a bit radom, because in 1992 when the Sex book was released Madonna still got the cover.
I didn't find the Sex book vulgar (neither Madonna) but some people do, so it might be a personal issue.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago:) View Post
I think that this vulgar talking is a bit radom, because in 1992 when the Sex book was released Madonna still got the cover.
I didn't find the Sex book vulgar (neither Madonna) but some people do, so it might be a personal issue.
it's not the same, Madonna was an icon of the era, she belonged to Vogue by default, always surrounded of big photographers like Steven Meisel and Herb Ritts, artists like Jean Paul Gaultier, Keith Haring, Basquiat .....

Beyonce is just Beyonce, a great singer, a great dancer, not really classy, grotesque movements and all that self devotion to her booty is ridiculous ... her videos are tacky.

14-03-2009
fashion icon

^I still don't see how Madonna is so much more appropriate for high fashion if one is to go by those standards. Madonna expressed self-devotion towards her vagina, but when Beyonce appreciates her own body, then it becomes vulgar? I don't get your reasoning here. A song such as "Bootylicious", as old as it is, felt empowering for some women and allowed them to appreciate what they have. Call that vulgarity if you will, but I think that is one of the reasons Beyonce is perfect for The Shape Issue (although it's a few years overdue).

14-03-2009
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh85 View Post
haven't you seen that disgusting "Singel Ladies" video? it's all about her ***. can't she act like a decent woman?

and the point is ...? she's still vulgar
And here I thought the Single Ladies video was about modernizing Bob Fosse's Mexican Breakfast choreography. Whether or not your find it classy, she's a stage performer and its all about theatrics. In her personal life, she is married, active in the community, and lives a relatively quiet life for a celebrity. Also, your arbitrary standards of "decent" and "vulgar" hold no weight when you consider some of the past stars on Vogue who are more "vulgar" in their public and private lives than Beyonce (the aforementioned Britney, Madonna, and Drew Barrymore).

I am still really struggling to understand how Beyonce is vulgar. But I guess, to some, simply being a successful African American woman who doesn't conform to traditional roles is vulgar.

14-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky View Post
Madonna expressed self-devotion towards her vagina, but when Beyonce appreciates her own body, then it becomes vulgar?
I could post all the Madonna videos and most of them are art, all the Beyonce videos are about her big butt

14-03-2009
V.I.P.

I don't think she's vulgar, but she is TACKY.

Madonna never took herself too seriously. She knew what she was doing was vulgar and tacky, which effectively nulls the vulgarity and tackiness of her actions and makes them titillating instead.

I can't speak the same for Beyonce. She really thinks she's quite classy (*grimaces at image of Beyonce wearing curtains at the Oscars*).

diva is a female version of a hustla of a hustla of a hustla
*groans*

But satisfaction brought it back
14-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
Also, your arbitrary standards of "decent" and "vulgar" hold no weight when you consider some of the past stars on Vogue who are more "vulgar" in their public and private lives than Beyonce (the aforementioned Britney, Madonna, and Drew Barrymore).

I am still really struggling to understand how Beyonce is vulgar. But I guess, to some, simply being a successful African American woman who doesn't conform to traditional roles is vulgar.
not only vulgar, she's always look cheap.

and what does being African American has to do with this?

14-03-2009
V.I.P.

I spot a Freudian slip!

But satisfaction brought it back
14-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
I don't think she's vulgar, but she is TACKY.
well, thinking well I also don't think Beyonce is vulgar as a person, I even don't know her!

it's her act what I find vulgar, her image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
Madonna never took herself too seriously. She knew what she was doing was vulgar and tacky, which effectively nulls the vulgarity and tackiness of her actions and makes them titillating instead.

I can't speak the same for Beyonce. She really thinks she's quite classy (*grimaces at image of Beyonce wearing curtains at the Oscars*).

diva is a female version of a hustla of a hustla of a hustla
*groans*
that's right.

14-03-2009
V.I.P.

This is the 'US Vogue April 2009..' thread. Not the 'Beyonce' thread

windowshopping

I actually like the cover. I think Beyonce looks really pretty.

I don't understand the problem with putting Beyonce on the cover. Is she any less deserving than Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, or Sandra Bullock? In fact, how does one decide which celebrity is worthy of a cover?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, april, beyonce, mario, testino, vogue