How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2009
V.I.P.

Not very powerful, i feel depressed when look it on, but i cannot say this is ugly.
Hope that the contains will be good.
(i note that more black women on the US Vogue cover. Good message for the world i think.)

13-03-2009
windowshopping

This cover is atrocious. Oh well.

"'Real women have curves' is a silly argument at best, and insulting to all women at worst. After all, what does 'real women have curves' imply about thin women? They're not 'real' women? They don't have curves? And are curves the only factor that determines womanhood? Note that this phrase keeps the issue firmly in the realm of the physical–the mainstream claim is that women are valuable when they're thin; the 'real women have curves' backlash just turns that message around: 'women are valuable when they have curves.' It's the same superficial, sexist wolf in feminist, pro-fat clothing. http://fatsteria.blogspot.com/2008/0...vely-ugly.html-FATSTERIA

13-03-2009
backstage pass

she looks good, but beyonce? overrated. i wish vogue would put someone with actual style on the cover, like chloe sevigny, not someone who is styled.

13-03-2009
army of lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinck View Post
she looks good, but beyonce? overrated. i wish vogue would put someone with actual style on the cover, like chloe sevigny, not someone who is styled.
Anna will never allow anyone who soaked cork on screen to grace the cover of Vogue...

The more I look at it, the more it puts me to sleep.

13-03-2009
fashion insider

Well I simply detest Beyonce. Why is she in the cover of Vogue? She's one of the most unstylish celebs in the world.

13-03-2009
V.I.P.

oh well, i don't like the cover. but it's a shape issue... so it's all about feeling beautiful and weight loss. I'm bored to death.

13-03-2009
V.I.P.

she looks teriffic! the colour of the dress looks wonderful on her.

windowshopping

I'm not a fan, but she looks good.

13-03-2009
don't look down

I didn't much notice the 'real women have curves' line, I thought it was about Beyonce, a typical quote that celebrities use in interviews, claiming they're "real" and "love their curves" when they've got a small army of assistants to help keep their curves real.

V.I.P.

Quote:
i wish vogue would put someone with actual style on the cover
this will pretty much never happen. Vogue has a tendency to want to promote either substanceless teen stars with a bit of hype and zero style (or talent) or to promote cultural icons (also with little style, but sometimes armed with a decent stylist).

I think they just like moulding and casting their covergirls into their own image, constantly putting them on the conde nast "best dressed" lists no matter how utterly fug.

God Save McQueen

Frankly, I don't get the hate for Beyonce. She is over the top in her professional career, but frankly, don't fashion people adore that sort of thing. And she definitely pushes the limit with her fashion, how many other celebs have worn Pugh?

As for the cover, I find it boring. I enjoy seeing her in a really natural, soft setting, but for an issue on shape that talks about curves, there are none! They should show off her famous figure.

13-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
You know what i find to be an epic joke? The "NIP/TUCK Designing a Perfect Body" banner, i know all fashion magazines, Vogue including, should be taken with a grain of salt, but doing a shape issue where you celebrate all women's body types, and then having a feature like that is just silly.
My thoughts exactly. Don't they even read the cover headlines before they put it to print

However that is an excellent cover. Vogue has had a great change this year. For fresh cover stars. Finally a change. Now if Bazaar, InStyle and Elle took notice.

13-03-2009
fashion elite

well vogue certainly didn't come up with the phrase "real women have curves" it's popular phrase so i suppose they slapped it on the cover to get people's attention. i'm thin and i'm not offended by the phrase. it's just something magazines say to make plus size women think that magazines care about them.

anna obviously thinks thin women are real women since she fills the other 11 issues of the year with them.

13-03-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by limy View Post
Its ironic how the American public just likes to look down on the thinner types, accusing them as a bad influence on young girls and yet it's taboo to look down upon an overweight woman.
That has to be the funniest thing I've read all year. We live in a culture of worship when it comes to the thin figure. Sorry, but it is ten times harder (and it always has been) to be overweight than thin in this world. There are so many hurtful and false stereotypes associated with big women, while thin women are seen as the "ideal" of society. It's nonsense.

You should read the outrage in the letters to the editor of Vogue magazine (or any fashion magazine, frankly) when a bigger than average women is presented in a positive light in the fashion industry. You'd think a mortal sin had been committed.

13-03-2009
front row

i like it. beyonce deserves it.
i dont like her hair though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, april, beyonce, mario, testino, vogue